• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Colorado closure

I have been reading about fire but had no idea it was this bad. Was heading there next week :(

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You could see this one coming. Very low snow pack this past winter has been followed by hot and dry weather in the mountains. The whole SW down to Southern NM is the same. We are tinder dry in the Sacramento Mountains. The dead fall from 15 years of warm and dry conditions is going to make everything much worse if there is a fire.

Many of the major passes in SW Colorado are on BLM land. I have not seen what the BLM is saying about opened or closed. Could be confusing.

I found this site for fire info anywhere in the USA

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5822/43185/

It doesn't look good for the area, it is only a couple of miles south of Purgatory Resort. A We talked about buying a house about 2 miles south of the resort, maybe it was a good thing we didn't.

Really tragic, hope everyone stays safe...

Beetle damage is so extensive across the entire sw region that fuel load is epic. 6% humidity and 25 mph wind.... Not good folks. Looking at mountain sides with dead trees for miles last fall. I expect everyone knew this had to happen...just not when.

I guess it is part of natures way but the additional fuel load from all the dead trees is going to generate so much extra heat there’ll just be a little left but nature will start again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I toured Colorado last week, I saw tons of BLM fire trucks stationed everywhere in the mountains.

Beetle damage is so extensive across the entire sw region that fuel load is epic. 6% humidity and 25 mph wind.... Not good folks. Looking at mountain sides with dead trees for miles last fall. I expect everyone knew this had to happen...just not when.

:tab When I was last in Lake City, I think in Sept of 2015 or maybe 2016, the dead trees were just unbelievable. However, efforts were underway to cut them wayyy back from roads and structures. There were massive piles of bull dozed trees all along 149 between Lake City and Creede. I had heard that the plan was to burn them AFTER the snow started falling. I've no idea if they ever actually did that or not :shrug:

Hurricane Bud "may" cast some moisture up that way around Saturday or so. It really depends upon how strong it is when it comes aground in Mexico. We are forecasted to "possibly" get some rain on Thursday. We really need it too.

We just finished the NMBDR it was very hot and dry. Every pond and lake was dry. No green grass until we got into the northern section of Carson National forest. Lower Colorado looked ok streams had water and grass had some color. We had a stage 3 forest closure after Grants. Still had a good time.

I found this site for fire info anywhere in the USA

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/article/5822/43185/

It doesn't look good for the area, it is only a couple of miles south of Purgatory Resort. A We talked about buying a house about 2 miles south of the resort, maybe it was a good thing we didn't.

Really tragic, hope everyone stays safe...

Here's a link to the Durango Herald article on forest closure.
https://durangoherald.com/articles/...-san-juan-national-forest-for-first-time-ever

We will be riding the CDR in 2 weeks time, starting in NM and passing through CO on our way to Canada, any updates if any areas are completely closed to dirt bikes, or do you just have to be careful?

Gary

Durango native here....550 is open, and USFS just reopened the San Juan National forest, with stage 2 warnings....everything open except roads/areas immediate vicinity of fires. Given that, situation could worsen given a string of more hot/dry/windy weather, and or lightning strikes. Smoke reduced due to recent rain, but now increasing again (June 20). Hoping monsoon rains kick in mid-July. I usually rent and ride this time of year.

Back