• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Bike is making odd, random ticking sounds...

Scorch

Reaction score
... and the coolant level was low. And the oil is the color of chocolate milk. These three clues lead me to think I have a blown head gasket. Or some other gasket failure where coolant is getting into the oil.

It's a 1985 Suzuki. The guy I used to take my bike to, John, on the south side of Beltway 8, says he no longer works on bikes. So, any suggestions where I can take it to get it worked on in the Houston area?

Update: I was talking to one of my diesel mechanics and he was enthusiastic about checking out my bike and working on it. I fired it up and he quickly said he thinks it is the water-pump making the noise, the bearing is going out. And when the seal leaks, it goes into the crankcase. So, ordered a new water-pump, probably the last OEM unit in North America, and fingers crossed, maybe I can get this beast up and running again. ;-)

Motorcycles Unlimited
1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Phone: (281) 444-0545
Fax: (281) 444-0903

I think Patrick doesn't do most bikes over 15 years old. Too much hassle. Might still be worth a call though. I have used him numerous times and have always been happy with their work.

I wonder what the hassle is? Hard to get parts or just not familiar with the older machines?

I usually end up fixing everything myself, I'm more patient than any shop mechanic I guess.

Usually parts availability vs customer expectations. Time searching for parts = money that most customers don’t want to pay. Some parts may not be available at all or have long lead times. Shop ends up with bike for a long time and customers get upset and bash the shop for being slow and costly. Many times the bike is brought in for one thing and you end up having to do more due to brittle plastic, stuck fasteners and such.

Thanks, that's a really good explanation, it makes sense. I'm more of the just get it done and I'll pay for it type, I used to work for a shop so I know what it's like.

Blinker??? [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_3xxQXgFs"]Heny Cho[/ame]

Waterpump bearing was shot.

[ame="https://youtu.be/EOLV7wndHzk"]Suzuki Madura waterpump - YouTube[/ame]

The impeller was chewed up pretty bad, wonder where all the debris went? Into the radiator? Water jackets? :rofl:

waterpump2.jpg

waterpump4.jpg

I guess I'll take the radiator off and see about flushing the system, metal floating in the coolant can't be good for the new seal and bearing.

Glad you found it and were able to get the part. Like you said, I would flush the cooling system good. I would probably pull all the hoses to make sure nothing was lodged in a corner somewhere.

Usually parts availability vs customer expectations. Time searching for parts = money that most customers don’t want to pay. Some parts may not be available at all or have long lead times. Shop ends up with bike for a long time and customers get upset and bash the shop for being slow and costly. Many times the bike is brought in for one thing and you end up having to do more due to brittle plastic, stuck fasteners and such.
Yes, all yes and more.
If we could commonly bill hourly like a lawyer for time spent then not a big deal.
Its also customer expectations vs money needed to do a complete job that the shop will be able to stand behind.."How much? I mean I understand your being fair on labor, but the whole bike is only worth......."

Flushed fore and aft, I got a lot of slurry and a few bits.

Put the new waterpump in and flushed the oil three times, fired it up. Seems to be running fine, no ticking or scrurtching sounds.:trust:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUbfozyOERI"]Madura after waterpump transplant - YouTube[/ame]

Roger it 40 miles and the engine temp stayed normal, it didn't explode, so I think we're in business.

Attachments

• IMG_0449.jpg
    IMG_0449.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0452.jpg
    IMG_0452.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 119
  • 23.jpg
    23.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 121
  • 453.jpg
    453.jpg