• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Re: MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

View from the front porch of the store - Departure Point. Aspen trees are starting to turn.

db69f6e264b2aeee04b396628f16c31e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Started a bit late as it took a while to load up Sparky with all that gear. Odometer read 7777 as I rolled off.

Made it over Hagerman Pass in about an hour. It did not seem as rough this time, but I was nervous riding solo with all the gear.

78b11fcda5dbd76b5693895eb2dd9ca2.jpg

Then Weston Pass an hour later. Sparky was noticing the elevation. The weather was nice and cool, without any rain. That would change soon enough.

6788e4789aaa6eef25361007e86315d3.jpg

This section was wooded with tight turns and bunches of hills, slick sections, sand, slowed me down good. I got Buena Vista in sight when the weather caught up. Thunderstorms are not fun when you are crossing hilly exposed countryside.

When the sprinkle started, I contemplated making a run 4-5 miles to town or backtrack a few miles to a nice camp sight I had seen earlier. I made the wrong choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: COBDR & MOAB 7-22 Sep 2017

Way to leave us hanging, Fred! You're posting, so you're alive.... Which is very good. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

:popcorn:

Same here... Coming down the mountain into Buena Vista. Really cool seeing ominous looking clouds snaking their way through the hills and over town but riding down into it - not so much. Getting there, all the motels were full and ridiculously over priced so I'm sheltering under the portico of one when this dude wearing off-road pants walks over and says "Hey, I'm by myself. You want to share a room?" He was on a F800 with full baggage. Turns out he lives in Santa Fe and was returning from a trip to Prudhoe Bay. Great guy and a new friend in New Mexico. This motorcycle stuff can have so many unanticipated twists and turns. Enjoy the ride. :rider:

Would you mind starting a separate thread for the ride report/pics? I think it will get a LOT more views that it will being stuck in your planning thread.

Awesome! Thanks :thumb:

So does it help much to paint the inside of your skid plate to reduce noise? If so I am going to try it..
John

So does it help much to paint the inside of your skid plate to reduce noise? If so I am going to try it..

John

I don't notice it too much either way. I only noticed the noise every so often. I thought about putting that 3m auto/stereo stuff on, but you can't really put it on the wings (would look silly), and I didn't want the material to reflect heat and have an adverse effect on engine cooling.

Back