• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Training wheels for 500lb motorcycle

Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Theres got to be tons of experience with the members of this site, so i'm thinking, ask the mother-ship. How could i make it safer when loading this fat girl into the back of my pickup on my ramps? of course i would do the old hill trick to lessen the angle but i got to thinking, could i make a set of training wheels for the rear of the bike? they could be attached under the rear axle bolts and would stabilize the bike in the vertical when clutching it up the ramp. i would be next to the bike and on foot . i have not even considered trying this with the wee without assistance, but if this could work it could be accomplished single handedly. what do you think? is there already such a device on the market? :shrug:

Being a bit feeble and leary of ending up on the bottom of the pile, I made two matching foot ramps on either side of the bike ramp. I ride the bike up and back it down with my feet on the extra ramps.

I am continually amazed and admire the folks who run along the side the bike as it goes up the ramp, step on a bucket half way up and park the bike upright in the pickup bed.

Being a bit feeble and leary of ending up on the bottom of the pile, I made two matching foot ramps on either side of the bike ramp. I ride the bike up and back it down with my feet on the extra ramps.

I am continually amazed and admire the folks who run along the side the bike as it goes up the ramp, step on a bucket half way up and park the bike upright in the pickup bed.

could do my 286 lb enduro, but this is a whole different ball of wax.:brainsnap

thanks, i was also going with the wench as part of the equation. watched the vid. looks good. however that bike doesn't look as heavy as mine, or possibly yours.

6199tQh3cfL.jpg

i think something like this would suffice. looks fairly safe. $289 however. beats dropping the bike from bed height.

thanks, i was also going with the wench as part of the equation. watched the vid. looks good. however that bike doesn't look as heavy as mine, or possibly yours.

That naked Wing in the video is probably close to 600 lbs. The ATV wide ramp is something I have been considering. Either ride up or walkup under power.

6199tQh3cfL.jpg

i think something like this would suffice. looks fairly safe. $289 however. beats dropping the bike from bed height.

That naked Wing in the video is probably close to 600 lbs. The ATV wide ramp is something I have been considering. Either ride up or walkup under power.

I used a wide ramp similar to the one pictured when I loaded my Strom in the back of my truck. I ended up just riding up the middle but, it was nice knowing that could put a foot down if needed. I borrowed it from another member here I’ll see if I can find out the model.

I use an ATV ramp for my dirt bikes. Mine is short and steep. I walk up one side and the bike under it’s power on the other side.

There's another member here who has a crane mounted on his truck. He simply flies his bikes up. That's another option worth comsidering.

Last edited:
I almost toppled my Triumph on an ATV ramp because i had wet boots from walking in the dew. That metal is slick. I got a cheap little trailer and never put my bike in the back of the truck again. It is so much easier. So easy. Plus my wife's corolla got 30 mpg towing the bike. :sun:

When money is no worry, you get one of these

[ame="https://youtu.be/ul6MCfwKoPo"]Rampage Lift Demo - YouTube[/ame]

Lower that bad boy if your going to be hauling it like that often. [emoji41]
I would def think the extra wide atv ramp or the trailer would be a good idea. Maybe hit it with some aerosol grippy stuff for added slickness protection. Unless of course money is no object. Then that winch and slider set up looks pretty slick! ??
I have a bud that rents a trailer from uhaul for like $15, he says. He doesn’t have a truck, though. But that’s not too terribly expensive if your only hauling once in a while.
I cant say that I have ever seen training wheels for that situation. Would be an interesting concept, though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know this is of no help at all, but I sure love my trailer that is low to the ground with the large long rear door / ramp. No more fear about loading, they just roll up so nice and easy...

I run a 4' ATV ramp, but load the bike without riding it up. I walk up beside it on the left side, keeping it on its balance point, using the motor and clutch to push it up the incline and the front brake to keep it from rolling back. To unload, same thing, just using the front brake to keep the bike under control.

Slow, while keeping it on the balance point, is the trick. Trying to do it fast is a recipe for failure. My truck's not short, either. Haven't had an issue yet and have hauled almost a dozen heavy bikes back there.

If5mmNql.jpg

My buddy's cheat mode is an old Toyota pickup just for hauling bikes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always put my bikes in the back of my trucks. I use a ramp just like this Ramp. I've loaded FJR's, Super Tenere's, KTM 1190's and many other small bikes. Never had a problem. I definitely try and find a ditch, curb, small hill to help the angle, especially now with a taller truck, and am very careful with my feet placement.

Try a full width ATV ramp, allows you to ride up under power and paddle walk along with it. If not comfortable doing it under power, use a winch and a soft tie to pull it up that same ramp, paddle walking as you go.

Try a full width ATV ramp, allows you to ride up under power and paddle walk along with it. If not comfortable doing it under power, use a winch and a soft tie to pull it up that same ramp, paddle walking as you go.

Already brainstorming (look out!) a tiny toy hauler 5x8 trailer/home brew camper.

After seeing some of the rigs this weekend in castroville :eek: my mission is clear. :thumb:

Back