• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Arizona Wanderings

Too bad you didn't get pics of the sculptures in Artesia . One of my rides years back was primarily for that purpose. Enjoyed the pics for sure.

When the rash on my arms broke out, I used Benadryl cream and it nicely controlled the itching. What was going on inside my mouth was a little too potent. Benadryl pills may have been helpful, but I wouldn't have been able to ride. I was very thorough talking to a pharmacist about that. However, a good time was had anyway. I saw my doctor today. She's making some adjustments so that, hopefully, this won't happen again.

I really enjoyed the pass, and driving through Red Valley before it, and across the reservation land after the pass. Great country. I'm sure I'll look for an opportunity to do so again.

Ya know, I had actually put a waypoint by a lookout for Canyon de Chelly. Then on Sunday morning, I shot by & was wondering "Hmm, where did that waypoint come from?" I realized a few miles down the road, & wasn't gonna go back. Oh well, 'nother time.

I loved the Bear Wallow. Great food, really nice people. Last time I was in Alpine (around 2000), there was exactly one restaurant and it was never open the whole week we were there.

I'm looking forward to getting my wife back there in the next year or so. We've stayed at the Alpine Divide campground just up the road, and really loved it there.

I could spend a little more time in Williams exploring sometime. It was fun and, as you say, not TOO touristy. I love finding places that aren't overrun by kitschy stuff and preppies in pink alligator shirts. You can read this to say I like Alpine, Gunnison, and Leadville. Not so much Aspen and Telluride.

You should go down the road to Hannigans Meadow Lodge. Great food, or at least the last time I was there. Always stayed at the campground next to the lodge. As long as it isn't hunting season there should be plenty of room.The fun part of the road starts about 2 miles south of the Lodge. On one of my last trips down the Coronado Trail I was heading north when I passed a car hauler going south! Wanted to go back and sell tickets cus this was going to get interesting.

Yeah, I've been through there. Beautiful area right down there. We had originally planned to spend 4 nights in Alpine, which would have included at least a day of just loitering near Alpine. Next time.....

On one of my last trips down the Coronado Trail I was heading north when I passed a car hauler going south! Wanted to go back and sell tickets cus this was going to get interesting.

Be glad you were in a spot where you could get by him. Farther south and it might have had a different outcome as he came around a tight curve as you were riding the other way.
:eek2:

Nice pics, as usual. Sorry about the meds problem. I can't take Bactrim for much the same reason. It's on my allergic reaction list. Hope you're well now.

Tim: GREAT RR! Thanks for taking us along. Hope your doc got things fixed up for ya!

A big wow kind of a ride. Great report. Keep the wheels rolling Tim!

Thanks for all the well wishes, folks. I'm completely back to normal at this time. As soon as my doctor gets everything straightened out with the pharmacy, I'll be back on my prescription, but at 3/4 the previous dose. Hopefully, that'll keep me below the buildup in my body that caused all the nasty reactions a couple of weeks ago.

Getting old isn't for the faint of heart. :-(

Grand kids aren't for the faint hearted :) The one thing I love about getting old. I like the promise in Psalms 103:5 God will satisfy your mouth with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's (strong, overcoming, soaring)!
Tim looking forward to the next Arizona Soaring adventure report :mrgreen:
Well done.

Thanks. And no, grandkids aren't for the faint of heart, but they sure are tonic for the heart. In the meantime, Mark & I had a brief conversation yesterday about a possible Utah trip next spring or summer.

Mark & I had a brief conversation yesterday about a possible Utah trip next spring or summer.

I don't know it as well as I know AZ, but I've been to a few areas in southern Utah. Tourmeister also has experience up there, and I'm sure several others of our brothers and sisters here can pitch in some suggestions when you're ready.

Thanks, Brian. Next year if we pull this off, I'm gonna let Mark do the bulk of the planning. But I'll still gratefully collect all the info I can. I've spent very limited time in Utah, none on a bike.

Thanks, Brian. Next year if we pull this off, I'm gonna let Mark do the bulk of the planning. But I'll still gratefully collect all the info I can. I've spent very limited time in Utah, none on a bike.

You might want to start a new thread just as you did prior to the AZ trip and start soliciting info which you can then shovel to Mark and let him sort through everything. Better to start thinking about it sooner rather than later. :trust:

One thing you absolutely should do is let me tag along.:trust:

By this time next year, I may have more people than Forrest Gump tagging along by the time I get to Monument Valley.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

For next year's ride you may want to move it up by a week or two as the temps really started climbing when you were out here. However, some sections of UT are higher elevations so it may not be as much of a concern.

And since you're going to be on the north side this time, you may want to hit the North Rim and that doesn't typically open until May 15.

Well, and I may cheat if we do this next year, & trailer the bike as far as Raton. That'll save 10 hours of heat & boredom.

I don't think I've been at the North Rim since the 80s. Love it over there. I always wanted to walk the Canyon from the North Rim (I've done the South), but at 67 and with the clock still ticking, that's probably one of those bucket list items that got away.

I don't think I've been at the North Rim since the 80s. Love it over there. I always wanted to walk the Canyon from the North Rim (I've done the South), but at 67 and with the clock still ticking, that's probably one of those bucket list items that got away.

Your still hittin all cylinders, all two :brainsnap ha ha ah ah ha ha ah ha. Thank you, thank you very much. :puke:

Nice report!!!

Last weekend I had 3 twtex guests come up to Phoenix and we drove up to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo West.

Friday in Jerome we unloaded my 2 CBR sportbikes and took turns riding from Jerome to Sedona to Flagstaff. And back down again Sunday. Makes me smile to live in a hellhole (that is what others tell me, I like it just fine) like Phoenix and have all this stuff in my backyard.

Time to do more exploring tho. You covered more ground in one trip than I have since I moved here 2 years ago. Thanks for the nice writeup and pics. First thread that I can remember that I forwarded to my wife for trip ideas.

Danke!

Peter in Phoenix

It you go to the North Rim, bring some binoculars. Along the Vermillion Cliffs between Lees Ferry and the climb to the North Kaibab you might just see some California Condors.

Your still hittin all cylinders, all two :brainsnap ha ha ah ah ha ha ah ha. Thank you, thank you very much. :puke:

Mentally, at least. :mrgreen: To quote my favorite timeless book, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I walked the South Kaibab Trail to the river back in 2000, as a 49th birthday present to myself. Nearly 20 years later, I'm not sure I could trust these wobbly older legs to get me back to the rim.

Time to do more exploring tho. You covered more ground in one trip than I have since I moved here 2 years ago. Thanks for the nice writeup and pics. First thread that I can remember that I forwarded to my wife for trip ideas.

Danke!

Peter in Phoenix

I'll accept that as high praise. Thanks!

It you go to the North Rim, bring some binoculars. Along the Vermillion Cliffs between Lees Ferry and the climb to the North Kaibab you might just see some California Condors.

Good to remember. I've never seen the condors. You definitely need binocs (or a 250mm lense) at the North Rim, simply because you're a lot farther from the main canyon.

Oddly, my most vivid memory of the Vermillion Cliffs at last visit was seeing an oncoming pickup/trailer trying to pass a tractor trailer who didn't want to be passed. They were obviously well into a mutual road rage situation when they came charging at me, one passing, the other pulling out & blocking. As I stood on my brakes, they made contact, both skidded off the road to my right, the pickup ended up on its side, & that driver was crawling out a window & both drivers were winding up for a fight. Instead of offering to help, I got the heck out of there & found a phone to call the police! Thirty years later and I still can't un-see that one.

Mentally, at least. :mrgreen: To quote my favorite timeless book, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I walked the South Kaibab Trail to the river back in 2000, as a 49th birthday present to myself. Nearly 20 years later, I'm not sure I could trust these wobbly older legs to get me back to the rim.

I'll accept that as high praise. Thanks!

Good to remember. I've never seen the condors. You definitely need binocs (or a 250mm lense) at the North Rim, simply because you're a lot farther from the main canyon.

Oddly, my most vivid memory of the Vermillion Cliffs at last visit was seeing an oncoming pickup/trailer trying to pass a tractor trailer who didn't want to be passed. They were obviously well into a mutual road rage situation when they came charging at me, one passing, the other pulling out & blocking. As I stood on my brakes, they made contact, both skidded off the road to my right, the pickup ended up on its side, & that driver was crawling out a window & both drivers were winding up for a fight. Instead of offering to help, I got the heck out of there & found a phone to call the police! Thirty years later and I still can't un-see that one.

I hear you. Back in the 80's I was on 89 south of Gray Mountain when a motorhome passed me. He then went to pass a PU who didn't want to be passed, it was a drag race and the car coming the other way had to pull into the dirt along the side of the road. Neither the PU or the motorhome slowed down.

Back