TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > Story Telling and Tire Kicking

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 05-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #41
humanrace

Re: Arizona Wanderings

One thing you absolutely should do is let me tag along.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:48 PM   #42
tshelfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by humanrace View Post
One thing you absolutely should do is let me tag along.
By this time next year, I may have more people than Forrest Gump tagging along by the time I get to Monument Valley.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
'75 Honda CB400F Super Sport - sold
'74 Suzuki TS185 enduro - liberated by a needy soul
'72 Yamaha RT3 enduro - sold
tshelfer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #43
Texas T

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshelfer View Post
By this time next year, I may have more people than Forrest Gump tagging along by the time I get to Monument Valley.

For next year's ride you may want to move it up by a week or two as the temps really started climbing when you were out here. However, some sections of UT are higher elevations so it may not be as much of a concern.

And since you're going to be on the north side this time, you may want to hit the North Rim and that doesn't typically open until May 15.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #44
tshelfer

Well, and I may cheat if we do this next year, & trailer the bike as far as Raton. That'll save 10 hours of heat & boredom.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 05-29-2018, 09:28 PM   #45
tshelfer

I don't think I've been at the North Rim since the 80s. Love it over there. I always wanted to walk the Canyon from the North Rim (I've done the South), but at 67 and with the clock still ticking, that's probably one of those bucket list items that got away.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 05-29-2018, 11:45 PM   #46
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Quote:
I don't think I've been at the North Rim since the 80s. Love it over there. I always wanted to walk the Canyon from the North Rim (I've done the South), but at 67 and with the clock still ticking, that's probably one of those bucket list items that got away.
Your still hittin all cylinders, all two ha ha ah ah ha ha ah ha. Thank you, thank you very much.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:34 AM   #47
Shadman
TWT Site Sponsor

Nice report!!!

Last weekend I had 3 twtex guests come up to Phoenix and we drove up to Flagstaff for the Overland Expo West.

Friday in Jerome we unloaded my 2 CBR sportbikes and took turns riding from Jerome to Sedona to Flagstaff. And back down again Sunday. Makes me smile to live in a hellhole (that is what others tell me, I like it just fine) like Phoenix and have all this stuff in my backyard.

Time to do more exploring tho. You covered more ground in one trip than I have since I moved here 2 years ago. Thanks for the nice writeup and pics. First thread that I can remember that I forwarded to my wife for trip ideas.

Danke!

Peter in Phoenix
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 AM   #48
Zonie

Quote:
It you go to the North Rim, bring some binoculars. Along the Vermillion Cliffs between Lees Ferry and the climb to the North Kaibab you might just see some California Condors.
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 09:18 AM   #49
tshelfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Your still hittin all cylinders, all two ha ha ah ah ha ha ah ha. Thank you, thank you very much.
Mentally, at least. To quote my favorite timeless book, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I walked the South Kaibab Trail to the river back in 2000, as a 49th birthday present to myself. Nearly 20 years later, I'm not sure I could trust these wobbly older legs to get me back to the rim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post

Time to do more exploring tho. You covered more ground in one trip than I have since I moved here 2 years ago. Thanks for the nice writeup and pics. First thread that I can remember that I forwarded to my wife for trip ideas.

Danke!

Peter in Phoenix
I'll accept that as high praise. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
It you go to the North Rim, bring some binoculars. Along the Vermillion Cliffs between Lees Ferry and the climb to the North Kaibab you might just see some California Condors.
Good to remember. I've never seen the condors. You definitely need binocs (or a 250mm lense) at the North Rim, simply because you're a lot farther from the main canyon.

Oddly, my most vivid memory of the Vermillion Cliffs at last visit was seeing an oncoming pickup/trailer trying to pass a tractor trailer who didn't want to be passed. They were obviously well into a mutual road rage situation when they came charging at me, one passing, the other pulling out & blocking. As I stood on my brakes, they made contact, both skidded off the road to my right, the pickup ended up on its side, & that driver was crawling out a window & both drivers were winding up for a fight. Instead of offering to help, I got the heck out of there & found a phone to call the police! Thirty years later and I still can't un-see that one.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 05-30-2018, 01:19 PM   #50
Zonie

Quote:
Mentally, at least. To quote my favorite timeless book, "the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak." I walked the South Kaibab Trail to the river back in 2000, as a 49th birthday present to myself. Nearly 20 years later, I'm not sure I could trust these wobbly older legs to get me back to the rim.

I'll accept that as high praise. Thanks!

Good to remember. I've never seen the condors. You definitely need binocs (or a 250mm lense) at the North Rim, simply because you're a lot farther from the main canyon.

Oddly, my most vivid memory of the Vermillion Cliffs at last visit was seeing an oncoming pickup/trailer trying to pass a tractor trailer who didn't want to be passed. They were obviously well into a mutual road rage situation when they came charging at me, one passing, the other pulling out & blocking. As I stood on my brakes, they made contact, both skidded off the road to my right, the pickup ended up on its side, & that driver was crawling out a window & both drivers were winding up for a fight. Instead of offering to help, I got the heck out of there & found a phone to call the police! Thirty years later and I still can't un-see that one.
I hear you. Back in the 80's I was on 89 south of Gray Mountain when a motorhome passed me. He then went to pass a PU who didn't want to be passed, it was a drag race and the car coming the other way had to pull into the dirt along the side of the road. Neither the PU or the motorhome slowed down.
Zonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:58 AM   #51
StromXTc
Forum Supporter

Tim, just as well you hadnt stopped. You probably would have been part of the melee just because. At that point all reason had passed and it was Planet of the Apes.
I'm ruined for work. Thinking of blue skies and dirt roads
StromXTc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:59 AM   #52
LYNYRD

Glad you got home ok ole buddy! Yes, getting older is not fun! We need to talk soon. I bought a new axe last weekend, an Alvarez Baritone acoustic guitar. Tuned to B instead of E. Sounds great and easy on my hands.
LYNYRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:45 AM   #53
tshelfer

A baritone???? I'd love a crack at it. Say when & I'm there. I'll bring my Mayson backpacker guitar (bought it at the Dallas guitar show) along.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 05-31-2018, 08:49 AM   #54
tshelfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StromXTc View Post
Tim, just as well you hadnt stopped. You probably would have been part of the melee just because. At that point all reason had passed and it was Planet of the Apes.
True dat. When an expensive truck & travel trailer, and a tractor trailer valued at who knows how much, are willing to risk their property and quite possibly lose their lives over the honor of a pass, all reason is totally suspended. Beam me up, Scottie.

'05 red VStrom - sold
'79 Honda CB650 - sold
Old 05-31-2018, 09:15 AM   #55
LYNYRD

Quote:
A baritone???? I'd love a crack at it. Say when & I'm there. I'll bring my Mayson backpacker guitar (bought it at the Dallas guitar show) along.

You bet. Look them up on YouTube. Lots of videos of them. Mine is the brown sunburst with electronics. BT60 something or other.
LYNYRD is offline   Reply With Quote