• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: SOLD: 2009 KTM 530 EXC

Reaction score
For sale, the good ol' 530. Now only $3,000!

2009 with 9,155 miles and 371 hours, very good condition. New tires, many new bits, lowered by ESP about an inch. A fabulous, good-looking, two-owner, strong-running, street-legal dirt bike.

IMG_1712-XL.jpg

IMG_1710-XL.jpg

IMG_1708-XL.jpg

This bike misses summertime in Colorado. Come buy this thing while there's still time for a last-minute trip to the Rockies.

Last edited:
Looks like she would enjoy a trip to Mexico too.

I've gotten a couple of questions via PM and I'm not sure my replies are sending, so I'll share here--somebody else might be curious.

The suspension was set for the original owner, about 165 lbs which is the same as KTM's factory target, 165--175. He's a real off-road guy, so it may be a higher spring rate. I'm 170 (these are dry weights, not curb weights) and it's fabulous. There's plenty of preload adjustment still available on the shock.

To return to factory height requires disassembly of fork and shock and new springs. Forks are simple. Shock will require a nitrogen recharge after reassembly. In other words, it's only a few parts different from a routine rebuild.

Note that even lowered as it is, there's still more than a foot of air under the frame.

Gratuitous glamour shot:

IMG_1711-XL.jpg

Aftermarket tank: Clarke 3+ gallon.

And a fella on ADVrider is selling an Acerbis 6 gallon cheap and orange.
It would look so good on this bike I have to exercise a lot of discipline to keep from buying it.

Aftermarket tank: Clarke 3+ gallon.

And a fella on ADVrider is selling an Acerbis 6 gallon cheap and orange.
It would look so good on this bike I have to exercise a lot of discipline to keep from buying it.

I have both of those tanks. It came with the 3 gallon and I installed the 6.6 gallon tank. My 530 gets around 45-50mpg, so either one gives me plenty of range! The orange 6.6 does look good!

Thanks for those words, Scott. It should go without saying but now might be appropriate to add that the sale will engender a contribution to TWTEX, which certainly deserves support. :thumb:

While we're at it, check out that cool old-school CEV switch pod:

IMG_1717-XL.jpg

I have the new style switch, too, but it doesn't turn the lights off.

Found enough OEM bits in a box to assemble turn signals for the front. So now that's done.

Edited the first post to add precise mileage and hourage.

Let's see. Ultralight MotionPro rimlocks. Hyperlites for tail/brake in the factory bezel. Rode it yesterday. Starts and runs great. What a motorcycle! Only 266 lbs according to KTM, who might be the least bit optimistic, but still.. it's light.

If you don't want a KTM, you should at least go buy JMZ's XR650R.

Let's see. Ultralight MotionPro rimlocks. Hyperlites for tail/brake in the factory bezel. Rode it yesterday. Starts and runs great. What a motorcycle! Only 266 lbs according to KTM, who might be the least bit optimistic, but still.. it's light.

If you don't want a KTM, you should at least go buy JMZ's XR650R.

My XRR is gone .

Put this up for sale last year, got a little interest on another forum... then I got very very busy.

This one really needs to go to a new home. Dropped the price to $3000 even.

Stevie- what's the history on the engine? any work done (rebuild) at all or is it all original and ready to hit 10K on the odo? It's a great looking bike, and I am interested but the miles have me a little concerned.

Stevie- what's the history on the engine? any work done (rebuild) at all or is it all original and ready to hit 10K on the odo? It's a great looking bike, and I am interested but the miles have me a little concerned.

I understand your concern. The conventional wisdom says it's a lot of miles.
I don't know what major things have been done to the engine. I do know a bit about the history of the motorcycle.
I bought it from the first owner with about 9,000 miles on it. He sold it because he bought himself a brand new 500 for his 80th birthday. He bought the 2009 in the first place when he was up on Colorado putting on a big DS ride and needed a bike. Until I got it a few years back, this bike went to Colorado every summer for dual sporting. The PO maintained it diligently. He took out the Rekluse and put the original clutch back in and restored it to a higher level of street legality before he sold it to me. He adjusted the valves and changed the fork juice. I'm sure it's had a few sets of wheel bearings and such like put in it over the years, because that's how Will is. I have not found any stripped fasteners on factory parts. I've cleaned up some wiring and installed turn signals and put on a new front disk rotor. New pads F and R. Little bits here and there, such as intake boot, grips, barkbusters. And I've been diligent about oil and fluids.

I have not opened the motor because it runs perfectly. Nothing leaks. It does not use oil. It does not transfer oil between cases. The exhaust is quiet. The engine is quiet. It is a happy motorcycle.

How concerned should you be? How long will this happiness last? When will the top end need attention?
I don't know, but if I were to keep it, I'd ride it and enjoy it until some symptom showed up, then attend to it.

Arghhhhh.... nice bike! There's so much to like....got to move a bike or I'd be all over this one!

Is Will Hendrix the prev. owner?
I know that young man...

I was asked via convo, and thought I'd share: Would this make a good Supermoto?

A 530 would make THE supermoto. This one's even been lowered, making it that much better.

Last I checked, there two fellows selling supermoto wheelsets on ADVrider, very reasonably priced.

By the time we get up on Monday morning, it will be Autumn, the best season for riding in Texas. The smart thing to do would be to make sure you have a terrific motorcycle for enjoying the season.

For example, you could buy my 530, and then hit the backroads around here. Or trailer it out to Big Bend, or even the Rockies. Colorado is brilliant this time of year; cold at night but the most beautiful days I've ever seen. And it's beginning to cool off even in Moab. And the 530 is mo' betta than most anything in the Great American Southwest. Loves elevation and cold mornings and desert piste.

Or you could go buy another moto. I test rode a Guzzi V85 TT. It was smooth and comfortable, good fairing.. and handled like a Guzzi. Wonderful. You should get one, or something that is that pleasing.

Or you could at least make sure that your motorcycle–yeah, that one, the one you love but have neglected because you rode a couple of times this summer and it took you three days to recover each time–is ready. Yeah, that one, the one with the kinda flat tires, with the dust on the saddle, with the frankly questionable gas fermenting in the tank while the carbs/injectors glue themselves shut like your eyelids the morning after all the mold and ragweed shot their wad into the night air. Yeah, that one. Air it up, gas it up, charge it up, shine it up, get up, get up, get up, get on up. Make it feel happy and eager. Get on it and get it on.

Took the mo' bettah 530 out for a quick 50 miles, Lime Creek Road, this morning. Holy moly, this thing likes to go go go. Made me remember how hard it pulls down low, how quickly it spins up, how the power band hits like a two-stroke, how smooth it is everywhere, how easily it goes where you point it.

KTM: Ready to Race. Ain't no baloney.

IMG_1715-XL.jpg

Purty, too.

Back