• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Huntsville

Reaction score
First Name
Kirk
Last Name
Shannon
Anyone visit the state prison museum or do the self guided prison tours? I’d be coming from the south so if there’s any stops along the way I should make, please advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironically, I have lived here for almost 25 years and have never done either... I haven't even visited the Sam Houston statue on the South side of town. Right next door to the prison museum is a Veterans Museum. You can't miss it. There's an F-16 out front along with a tank, helicopter, and various other vehicles. I have at least been inside that one, but just for a very short visit. There was a ton of stuff in there. I've no idea about hours for any of it though.

Ha! Funny. Maybe it’s not worth my ride then.

Been to see the big Sam statue it’s no big deal. Prison museum never interested me. Now the Hearts Veterans Museum, plan at least a half a day for a quick tour. If your fortunate a WWII Hero may be there and lead you through and recount his experience. I have been many times and will go many more.

That would be sweet to hear from a vet. My dad was in the battle of the bulge but like anyone that era didn’t talk a lot. No where near as close but I did a lot of years as a peace officer so the museum and prison kinda interests me. Plus east Texas has to be cooler!!

According to my daughter, the Prison museum is worth the trip, but she is also a criminal justice/psych major so its kind of her deal

Built by inmates???? Do they make them dig their own graves, too?

I live here and found the prison museum interesting, not real big tho. And the Veterans is next door. Big Sam statue makes a great photo op. Take a walk around campus and also visit the General Sam Houston home area, nice little museum there also. There is 9 prisons pretty close around to ride by, The Walls is right in the middle of town, literally drive by it, pretty eerie in a way. 5 prisons in town, 2 out on FM 980 area although you can't hardly see them, 1 out FM247 right on hi way, and death row over in Livingston, plus you get to see Lake Livingston!

The Walls is right in the middle of town, literally drive by it, pretty eerie in a way.

I met some local friends there for dinner once and in the middle of eating they said, "oh, by the way, that building out the window right there, that's where they kill people..."

Kinda creeped me out too.

Farmhouse for the win

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There is the big Mexican Free Tail bat colony by the Walls Unit. It is kind of cool to watch them come out in the evening about an hour to 45 minutes before dark. They just keep coming and coming and coming...

They currently live in an old warehouse owned by the TDCJ. The warehouse is in really bad shape the they want to tear it down, but they can't because of the bats. They've recently built big bat houses across the street from the warehouse and they are hoping the bats will relocate so they can demolish the warehouse before it just falls in on itself. The smell is strong enough to burn your eyes and nose if you get a strong whiff of it... Sometimes that can happen several blocks away!

Now I’m going to have to make it an over nighter, gotta see those bats!

Rode some of those beautiful forests last fall. Big difference from the mesquite and cactus I live in.

Built by inmates???? Do they make them dig their own graves, too?

Ha! The guys who built it were (probably) not going to be seated in it someday.

When I was living in Conroe, my Huntsville route included several prison units. I was astounded to learn the extent to which inmates run the place.

It was trustees who taught me the protocols-how to enter, where to go, who to see, how to leave.

My first trip to HQ, an elderly trustee led me to the elevator, I walked in and waited for him to come in, "Oh, no ma'am, we don't ride together-I'll take the stairs and see you on the 2nd floor."

Realizing the why of this sure gave me a funny feeling.

Ever notice the white prison buses on the highways? Most likely driven by a trustee.

There is also the New Zion BBQ Church on FM 1374 (Montgomery rd/aka Possum Walk rd). Close to being "World Famous". It is listed in all sorts of travel publications.
Along with the Prison and Veterans Museums Is the Sam Houston Museum all are cool. The bats and Sam Museum are close to the Sam Houston campus that also has a hotel that is way more eclectic than the Motel 6 or whatever chain that is along the freeway. Especially if you are on a bike, the SHSU hotel is off the beaten path and has several levels of police patrols. Campus and city at the very least. rh

"Ever notice the white prison buses on the highways? Most likely driven by a trustee."

I've been here since 75, don't think I've ever seen an inmate driving one of the buses, they drive the 18 wheelers and box trucks. But even then there will be an officer in the cab or following in a separate 18 wheeler.

I live here and found the prison museum interesting, not real big tho. And the Veterans is next door. Big Sam statue makes a great photo op. Take a walk around campus and also visit the General Sam Houston home area, nice little museum there also. There is 9 prisons pretty close around to ride by, The Walls is right in the middle of town, literally drive by it, pretty eerie in a way. 5 prisons in town, 2 out on FM 980 area although you can't hardly see them, 1 out FM247 right on hi way, and death row over in Livingston, plus you get to see Lake Livingston!

only in Texas do we treat our prisons like tourist attractions, haha (not too funny if your locked up however and dont plan to find out)

Well, they don't offer tours, yet. The director many years ago was a friend and took me through the Walls unit. A real eye opener for me.

Last edited:
Sept. 11 is the date. Leave south of stockdale and meander up the paved roads to the museum. Anybody with nothing else to do feel free to join up

Well, they don't offer tours, yet. The director many years ago was a friend and took me through the Walls unit. A real eye opener for me.

The current director is a relative of mine. I have never thought to ask him for a tour. hmmmm ...

1ff9e75f4a250b3f23ffc0a41384fbf5.jpg

Great road trip to Huntsville . Unfortunately one buddy backed out because he thought it was too rainy. (No rain). Second buddy wore out his clutch on his k1200 and limped it Home. Soooo picked up clutchless and jeeped it. Wether your pro death sentence or not, it’s surreal to stand and look at a chair where people have been killed by people who had nothing to do with the crime. Not being political , just something to see in person.... and I’m an old retired P.O.

Beautiful country though ! Much different than cactus mesquite and rattlesnakes where I live

Back