• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Check Yo'Self, Fool!

Bines

Reaction score
Seriously. Brand new bike. Just back from it's 600 mile service. Found three of four bolts had fallen out of a pannier bracket between Thursday and yesterday. The shop didn't have those brackets off. The bolts were there when I picked it up. I found them missing when I oiled my chain while getting gas.

Just a reminder, we have to check our stuff regularly.

And also, brand new bike and it's already been rear ended and now has hardware store parts on it. /breathe :zen: /breathe Maybe I can get Honda to replace the bolts for free.

Wouldn't they need to come off to fix rear end damage?
I think that bike is cursed!

Nope. Tail light and mount can be easily reached with the panniers on. Even if they did take them off, they unlock and lift off the mounts, and would have to be. Can't just unbolt and walk away. The handles lock down on the top mounts. The mounts themselves are small and not in the way of anything. I really don't think the shop messed this up.

Cursed, huh? How do I remove a motorcycle curse? Can it be done by riding the devil out of it?

Nope. Tail light and mount can be easily reached with the panniers on. Even if they did take them off, they unlock and lift off the mounts, and would have to be. Can't just unbolt and walk away. The handles lock down on the top mounts. The mounts themselves are small and not in the way of anything. I really don't think the shop messed this up.

Cursed, huh? How do I remove a motorcycle curse? Can it be done by riding the devil out of it?

well if you come to the Friday night social at the burger box I can take care of the curse.

I'll bring the heads of the witches of Glenmoril.

+1 on the Blue Loctite- when a bike is new to me, thinks like saddlebag bolts, sissy bar bolts, highway peg bolts, etc. all get Loctite at some point in the first six months to a year after I buy the bike. It's a worthwhile investment of effort for the peace of mind it provides.

noooo no D&D silliness, I use proven voodoo technology to excise demons and curses.

but no joke what I have planned will either provide protection or prove God has it in for you.

Hmmm. I'm thinking some grasshopper spit and a cat whisker will do the trick. Grasshopper spit is serious business.

Good news! The priest was happy to help out.
Ready to purge that bike of its curse Friday.
Just have to say the three words over the bike.

Leon..........................................................

yes? not a Aprils fools, I have gone through the needed steps to produce a proper talisman to provide protection from road demons and evil spirits.
except in cases where God wants you dead.

I suppose that talisman, which the bike has worn since that Friday, is what kept three of four bolts holding the top case on.

I come out of Kroger, and just happen to see a hole in the frame that holds the top case on. Hmmm. I don't recall that being just a hole. Check the other side. Nope. It should have a nut and bolt. Find another one is not even hand tight. Tighten it, this is why I carry tools on the bike, and ride home. Rummage through the hardware bins, and cans, and buckets in the garage, find pieces to fit. Done and done.

Lemme tell y'all about Saturday. My Frontier is only 16 years old with only 279,000 miles on it. Practically brand new. I'm driving through Trophy Club park with the yak in the back, leaving from fishing in the creek, and "Pop! Shhhhhhh!", steam comes rolling out from the hood. Well, fiddle sticks, and other words. Pull over, stop, open the hood. Coolant everywhere, but coming from where? The pipe from the top coolant hose to the heater core, which is behind the firewall, had snapped off. There was piece left this side of the firewall that was about the length as the hose clamp is wide. Just enough to fit the hose back on. Oh, lucky day! I pulled the pieces of the broken pipe out of the hose, the pipe was crumbling to nothing, managed to get the hose reattached, and made it back to Watauga. This is why I carry tools.

Moral of the story; check yo self and carry yo tools. I am no kind of mechanic, but I was able to get home. A few basic tools and skills will save you.

Back