• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need Mechanic recommendation for dirt bikes in/near Austin

Reaction score
I used Zabor's for years and highly trusted him. Now I need to find someone new.

I have a 2008 CRF250X that is probably going to need a new top end within the year and I'd like to find an experienced mechanic and/or race tech I could take it to.

I also have a XR650L with almost 20,000 miles that probably needs a value adjustment.

Any suggestions are welcome. There are 2 other mechanics I've tried that I haven't been impressed with that will remain unnamed so as not to offend anyone.

20140809-CRF250X_zps1d8dd40f.jpg

30NOV2013-XR650L-Sandy-Creek_zps7d658472.jpg

I have had a great service relationship with Country Power Sports in beautiful Elm Mott, Texas...a little North of Waco...on my XR650L. Give Marty a call and get the facts on your projects.

Limey bikes in Austin. The guy does a lot of vintage metric bikes, bit is a wiz on any bike.

Stay away from Wood's, kassons, tjs etc. I'm pretty sure they just farm it out and charge you the mark-up. I think Limey does a lot f machine work in-house. The 250x is a plated cylinder, so that's gonna go to millennium, or US chrome for replating anyways. Either way, you're not gonna have ONLY one set of hands on it, you're whoever you take it to, to take it apart, send parts out for service, order needed parts, and put it all back together.

As far as the XRL valve adjustment. I'd do that myself. Its so easy, cavemen actually did it.

++++update++++

Just checked limey bikes website, and he now seems pretty devout on not fixing post-vintage stuff. I'll keep my ear down for you.

Place in Pflugerville; Total Performance. Good reports from a few friends. Just dropped my DRZs there for some carb work. His shop is full right now so he's about a week behind.

Place in Pflugerville; Total Performance. Good reports from a few friends. Just dropped my DRZs there for some carb work. His shop is full right now so he's about a week behind.

Hey I've heard of this dude too. Good things.

All shops are busy busy this time of year

Don Lackey - DLR
20607 Live Oak
Leander, TX 78641
(512) 586-9222

It say's Leander but think Jonestown, He is actually off 1431 / Nameless rd, works out of home, usually backed up, does good work, not much for words.

I've heard good things about Don. Bunch of guys from Torch Riders recommend him.

I brought him my fork legs off my XR4 and even though he was backed up and wasn't home, He told me where to leave them and had them rebuilt later that day for a very fair price.

One of the things I really liked about Paul was he had a passion for Honda dirt bikes and personally owned XRs so he knew the engines well.

Don Lackey, DLR racing is awesome! Been using him for years. Also Chris at Flying wrenches is Great! DLR North, Flying Wrenches, South.

Have never used him but have always heard good things about Bill Deck at Motorcycle Parts Unlimited in Cedar Creek(Park?). The offroad community seems to really like him. Been around for years. Oops, he did rebuild a shock on my XR4 once, works great.

A former neighbor who I am convinced can disassemble, improve and reassemble any motorcycle ever made moved to Austin. He is working out of a private garage right now but if you're interested, contact Ryan and/or Alec at 281-seven 48-seven 658. Alec is/was my neighbor. He has mad skillz. When I met him, he was turning a 1966 Honda Dream into a dual sport bike. I can't remember his most recent bike resurrection but I think it's an elderly YZ.

Not to hijack this thread, but if anyone has an update on Paul Zabor, I would appreciate a pm. I last saw him about 3 months before his diagnosis. I left a couple of messages for Greg since then at the shop number but he never responded. Thanks.

A former neighbor who I am convinced can disassemble, improve and reassemble any motorcycle ever made moved to Austin. He is working out of a private garage right now but if you're interested, contact Ryan and/or Alec at 281-seven 48-seven 658. Alec is/was my neighbor. He has mad skillz. When I met him, he was turning a 1966 Honda Dream into a dual sport bike. I can't remember his most recent bike resurrection but I think it's an elderly YZ.

Not sure that in an endorsement. Why am I thinking Craigslist? ;-)

Not sure that in an endorsement. Why am I thinking Craigslist? ;-)

I will absolutely grant that he is ... creative :lol2: He moved down there to work at a garage that was a real live official business type place but I couldn't remember the name. Not sure about the changed situation and didn't know about it until I asked him for this post info.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I've talked to a couple of guys. Prices all fall around $1000 for a top end rebuild.

I do inexpensive shop quality work 1 1&2 hours away. 1k for a top end is outrageous! !!

Winterizing is wearing a jacket!
"It's Always Riding Season!"

You might ask E Marquez on this site.

Signatures ???? We don't need no stinking signatures !!!!!

I do inexpensive shop quality work 1 1&2 hours away. 1k for a top end is outrageous! !!

I may take you up on that!! :thumb:

The other thing I have been lightly debating is installing an Athena 280 kit but mostly likely keep it stock. One of the reason I choose the 250x is how long it has been in production so parts are easier to come by. Also one of the main reasons I have pulled the trigger on a KTM 350 XCF-W. Would love a wide ratio 6 speed that did a little better on 1431.

I had their 270 kit on my yz250f and it laster maybe 20 hours before causing valvetrain issues. If you go big bore its best to do a cam to match and exhaust. Id love a ktm but my wife would kill me if I brought one home lol

Winterizing is wearing a jacket!
"It's Always Riding Season!"

Steve is a nice guy. I've only had him do tires, but I would certainly consider him for other work. He's always busy when I go by, so that's a good sign.

Back