• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

1984 Honda Magna 700cc

Reaction score
Hey guys just want to ask a quick question, there's a guy in town selling a 1984 Honda Shadow VT 700cc.

I need blunt and honest truth, he said the fuel pump has been replaced 2 times, and cleaned the carbs 2 times as well is that just due to it sitting? Also he said there was a slight drip of oil that he noticed last time he rode it.

Selling it for $1,250 is it worth it or not really? Does it require a lot of maintenance? Purpose of the bike is for me to ride it back and forth to work.

Last edited:
I'd look for something more road worthy unless you know where the oil is dripping from and why it has fuel issues. You might have a mechanic do an estimate on repairs if you are stuck on this one.

I wouldn't worry too much about the carbs. They do need to be cleaned, and probably should be done more often than most of us get around to it. Two fuel pumps seems unusual, but I've never heard that as being a weak spot on the Shadow line; could be an anomaly. I'd worry about the leak. I've always heard that old Hondas (probably other bikes, too) that have sat for a long time are prone to gaskets springing leaks. Unless you're willing to put time & expense into making appropriate repairs, I'd shy away from any bike that leaks - there are just too many bikes out there in more or less perfect condition, waiting to be bought. And frankly, used Shadows are as common as black socks.

Magna or Shadow?
Shadow carbs - not too intimidating.
Magna carbs - pretty much a rat's nest.

Magna or Shadow? Shadow carbs - not too intimidating. Magna carbs - pretty much a rat's nest.
Yes, is it a magna, shadow, or sabre?
Low miles will gum up carbs and can gum up the pump.
If you are not very mechanically inclined it is best to stay away from the magna/sabre/ interceptor.
They take a higher degree of skill and patience.

Shadows are simpler, as with any bike 30+ years old bike, clean every single electrical connection or get good hiking boots.

Last edited:
Is it running now? If it is, running it daily is the best thing for it.

If it is running poorly or not at all, $1200 is too much IMHO. You can get GREAT running modern bikes for about $1000 more.

Back