• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Your thoughts on farkles?

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
So I got to take my DR650 out last Sat. for some trail riding. While it did better than I did, I did end up with a flat rear tire. So with the prospect of buying parts, I turn to the members of TWT once again for ideas, thoughts, and advice.

First thing I need is a good motorcycle jack. Looking online last night, I've seen some in the 100 dollar range. Is there one that fits the DR better than the others?

Tubes! I need a new tube, so are there better tubes?

I'm also going to be buying the case guards and skid plate. The only place that I've seen that have them is http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html.
I don't know what's a good price because when I search, they seem to always pop up first.

While riding this weekend, I noticed when I try to stand up on the bike, I felt like I was too high. So I want to buy some lower pegs. Procycle has some, but they aren't cheap!

So, for you guys that have DR650's, and bought things for it. If you had to do it over again, which would you buy first?

Thanks
Bryan

do yourself a favor and just go ahead and buy the MOST expensive thing you want for your bike first. that way everything else you buy will seem cheap in comparison. :mrgreen: it never ends! :brainsnap

do yourself a favor and just go ahead and buy the MOST expensive thing you want for your bike first. that way everything else you buy will seem cheap in comparison. :mrgreen: it never ends! :brainsnap

Believe me, after building two jeeps and a truck, I know all too well the cost of things. But at least this isn't as expensive as the truck.:clap:

I think the bags will be by far the most expensive, and I wont need them until I feel the bike is ready to go long distance. So I'm gonna hold off on them for now.

Believe me, after building two jeeps and a truck, I know all too well the cost of things. But at least this isn't as expensive as the truck.:clap:

I think the bags will be by far the most expensive, and I wont need them until I feel the bike is ready to go long distance. So I'm gonna hold off on them for now.

yeah, farkling jeeps never ends either. even though i'm trying to get out of the 4x4 thing, i still have 2 jeeps, 2 broncos and a f250, all 4x4s. i don't think i'll ever really be "out" of it. i do wish i had some of the money i've spent on them back.

Must haves on a DR:

Better springs front and rear
Larger tank
Bash plate
Taller bars
Rear rack
better tires.

IMG_1680.jpg

Try Twisted Throttle also for DR farkles.

I did look them up. Thanks.

But I guess what I'm really looking for is the riders insight on IF they had to do it again, what would they have done to the bike first. With my 06 LJ, I went through 2 lockers until I finally just went with Detroits. I could have save several thousands if I had real drivers input. Internet searches only do so much.

Must haves on a DR:

Better springs front and rear
Larger tank
Bash plate
Taller bars
Rear rack
better tires.

That is just about the same list that I have came up with. I'd add lower pegs and the case covers.

How much low end torque would you lose if any by changing the muffler.

I use one of these for myself DR.
http://www.rhinostand.com/

I have a Sargent seat, progressive front fork springs, Pro-taper CR high bars with ProCycle bar risers. Suzuki skid plate with case protectors purchased from a machinist on Adventure Rider. I have a Riccochet plate im going to put on. Have the ProCycle pumper carb ready to put on also with airbox mods. I plan on keeping stock exhaust. Use a Pro-Moto billet rear rack and Wolfman Enduro tank bank.

Last edited:
Cli-max motorcycle parts also has goodies to make your DR camp or ride ready. I have a baby DR but it is all stock.............for now! Rack,carb work,tool carrier,and a larger tank will be on the planning chart for next year.

Skid plate is number 1 on my list. From there, i'll go with taller bars/riser then tank and seat combo.

In order in each category:

These protect the bike:
Skid plate
Case guards
Wraparound hand guards
Stronger/taller bars or stronger bars with risers (Go with ProTaper or Renthal FatBars)

These make it work better/more comfortably:
JD jet kit
Spring it for you weight
A'me Clamp On grips (LOVE EM!)
Seat Concepts seat
Bigger plastic tank
Steering stabilizer

These make YOU safe(r):
Dirt helmet
Sand Goggles
MX boots (don't go too cheap)
Gloves (I don't like the hard knuckle padding, the edges cut you in a good fall. KLIM makes some great gloves with 3DO knuckle protection but they are $$$)
Upper body protection. Some like the all-in-one solution, some like separates. Try them on before you buy!
Knee/Shin guards
Neck brace
SPOT

I would not lower the pegs but raise the bars instead. You will like the extra ground clearance when you are stuck riding in a deep rut.

Case savers (added after my shifter punctured it), skid plate, taller bars. Similar effect to lower pegs, but cheaper and doesn't affect ground clearance. Or at least my Pro tape SE atv's mid bars were less than the procycle peg lowering kit.

And larger tank, but save the engine first.

I saw this GPS Spot. I assume that's so when you fall and get hurt the EMT's can locate you? If so, yes that will be on my list, but down the road. That will be done before I go too far from home.

I would not lower the pegs but raise the bars instead. You will like the extra ground clearance when you are stuck riding in a deep rut.

Now this is the type of info I'm looking for. Thanks.

I was really thinking about the lower pegs.
footpegs_lowered.jpg

These only lower you 1"3/4 inch. But I can see where in a rut they could hang up. I also see Rusty and a few others have said bars first. So I'm gonna skip the pegs for now and just go with the bars.

See, that's something I never would have thought about, and at 150 bucks, I can use that money for the rear spring. I'm thinking of this one.
shock_blue.jpg

So on my short list to do so far.

1, Motor cycle jack: Been looking. So far the only one I've seen that I liked and was cheap was the Torin Recreational Vehicle Lift (big red jack) http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200326249_200326249.

The jack is CHEAP!!! Even in the picture on the web site, if you zoom in to the bottom right side, you'll see the position lock doesn't fit right. Even the one in the store was like that. It's like the cross bar and spacers are too small and wont let it lock in place.

2, Case guards
3, Skid plate
4, Handle bars (Question on these. Is there a bar that fits better when you add like a digital speedo/tack? I'd like to get a digital speedo/tack so that I can read it better and see the rpms that I'm turning. Maybe it's the car guy in me, but knowing your rpms is a vital peace of info.
5, Brush guards for the handle bars. (I'm assuming these will depend on the type of bar?)
6, Gas tank (I think I'm going to go with the Acerbis 5.3 gallon Tank and blinker relocating brackets)
7, Seat (I'm thinking about the Moose Adventure Saddle)
8, Headlight guard.
9, Rear rack (but what if the rack system I buy comes with a top rack?)

I think that's good for now!:mrgreen:

Got the first part bought!

4c8e5d35-58b0-406e-a93d-2cbacf772904_zps93fc41d7.jpg

Time to start wrenching!
photo2_zpsc66a29dc.jpg

photo1_zps03b3f495.jpg

Went to Sears, and actually got great service! I went to buy the jack, and after the young guy rang up the jack, stopped and said "don't slide your card yet, I think I saw this cheaper online." He went to a computer, and sure enough, it was 20 buck cheaper at Sears.com. So he let me use their computer to buy it online and then do the customer pickup. WOW! I haven't had that kind of service from Sears in years. And this was a teenager! I shook his hand and said thanks.

Now I have the wheel off, anyone have tools to take the tire off, and want to help? If not, that's actually ok. It gives me the excuse to BUY MORE TOOLS!!:clap:

Bryan

That is some service there. That is one reason I bought a craftsman tool box. They last and reasonably priced.

Now I have the wheel off, anyone have tools to take the tire off, and want to help? If not, that's actually ok. It gives me the excuse to BUY MORE TOOLS!!:clap:

Bryan

I have a bead breaker and irons. I think others near Cedar Park have tire changers.

Practice changing your tires with the tools you will carry while riding. It will help prepare you for that flat tire repair 50 miles from the nearest paved road. You shouldn't need a bead breaker for most tube tires except some of the expensive racing rubber with super stiff side walls.

I have a bead breaker and irons. I think others near Cedar Park have tire changers.

You might just make my best friend list!:trust:

I could just take it in and have it done, but that wont help me learn how to do it when I get a flat out in the middle of no where. So I'd like to do by hand. Now I'm no stranger to tires, I use to (as a very young man) work for NTW after high school. I've changed my share of car tires. But I've never even looked at motorcycle tire.

Practice changing your tires with the tools you will carry while riding. It will help prepare you for that flat tire repair 50 miles from the nearest paved road. You shouldn't need a bead breaker for most tube tires except some of the expensive racing rubber with super stiff side walls.

I didn't see this when posting my last comment, but I see we think alike.

I will say, I took the rear off last night and tried to push the tire off the bead (I didn't try too hard), but it didn't budge at all. I had the stem out and the sidewalls felt very stiff. But that was with the tire sitting on my cooler. I didn't know the sprocket would come off. That is until it fell to the bottom of my cooler!

Every bike comes with a bead breaker. The side stand of a buddy's bike functions admirably in that capacity.

Like others have said, I wouldn't lower your pegs, but chances are pretty good that I wouldn't raise the bars either.

You said you felt too tall for the bike, but could you be more specific? For example, when you stand up on the bike you have to bend over too far to reach the bars? The reason I ask is that I am 6'1" with pretty long legs and I have felt very few dirt bikes that were "too small" much less dual sport bikes that tend to be bulkier to begin with.

Back