• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AFX FX-41 DS VS. Icon Variant

Jampad

Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Last Name
Russell
Debating between two helmets: AFX FX-41 DS and the Icon Variant.

Obviously, the Icon is a more expensive helmet but just curious if anyone has had each of these and can give some insight if the Icon is a $200 better helmet. I read lots of good stuff about the AFX FX-41 and would like some advice from others who have worn these helmets. Thanks for any advice you can share!

I bought a FX 39 DS and really like it. Seems good quality and feel. I would buy a AFX again.

Thanks Montejay... I have read good things about AFX-39.. Revzilla touts it as unquestionably the best sub $200 dual sport helmet. The Icon cost about twice as much and I'm just curious if the helmet stands out in quality and comfort that much..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's plenty comfortable to me, good padding. If I can fault it at all, I would say its a little loud and catches too much wind. I would buy another.

I have the FX-41 and have enjoyed it. Fit is good on my intermediate oval head. I wear without the visor as it is a sail! It is also loud at highway speeds but I wear earplugs and that doesn't bother me.

Yeah... if you're planning to ride down the highway, or for any extended period of time > 60mph, you'll have to remove the peak from the FX-41. It catches the wind like a sail. The helmet is also extremely loud, but it flows a LOT of air past your head, which is good in the summertime. For the price, it's hard to beat since it has a flip down visor. Like GRNDLB said, remove the peak and wear earplugs.

Thanks for the input! Based on the things I have read here and in many reviews, I just purchased the Icon Variant.... I really do much more highway riding and it seems the Variant will be superior to the AFX in that environment... Should get the helmet next week and try to give a little review after I try it out...

I'll be interested in your review; I'm looking for a new helmet too. Have already returned one.

Had my first decent length ride this morning with my new Icon Variant helmet..... I recently joined in on the FM road game on the forum and ride about hour out and back to capture my first road..... Beautiful morning for a ride! Anyway, back to the helmet..... I can sum up the Variant in one sentence... It rocks! Now, to be fair, the only comparison I have is to several helmets I have owned in the $125 to $150 price range.... This helmet was more than twice as much as those.... It was a little windy out this morning and the first thing I noticed is the pull on the visor, even in crosswinds is drastically less than on other helmets I have had.. The next biggie is the sound level.. Much more muted sound than the other helmets I have had.... Also, the fit is superb... Feels much higher quality all around... So, really happy with the purchase so far and I don't think that will change anytime soon... I highly recommend this helmet...

I had a icon alliance years ago and now use a HJC........ I can't wait to get back into an icon.

I am really looking forward to a solid review of the variant as that's what I am looking at. But 90% of my riding is done at freeway speeds an I worry about drag on the visor.

Last edited:
I will be honest.... The drag, of course, is there but not even close to other helmets I have had.... seems to be engineered well...

This is interesting, I've been really considering the AFX 41 it's good to see some good reviews. Has anyone tried installing a Bluetooth com system in the AFX helmet?

I bought a FX 39 DS and really like it. Seems good quality and feel. I would buy a AFX again.

X2 on the AFX39 (I wear one personally and for work). I would definitely buy AFX again. The 41 is on my "possible next helmet" list.

Last edited:
Guys, I'm sure the AFX-41 is a good helmet but I was talking about the Icon Variant...

This is interesting, I've been really considering the AFX 41 it's good to see some good reviews. Has anyone tried installing a Bluetooth com system in the AFX helmet?

I have done this. It installs fine with a little modification. It isn't very usable though. The helmet really is loud. It is my primary helmet for riding local but I always wear ear plugs. If I want to listen to music I just turn it up as loud as it will go with the ear plugs still in.

If you don't mind the noise it's a good helmet.

Jamie,
do you know what shape head you have and/or what shape head the Variant is made for?

gina

Hmmmm.. that is a good question. I'm really not sure but the fit is superb.... Check the review out on revzilla.com. .... they give a good review of each helmet they sell and it should say what shape... :)

Back