• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Rode the new Star Venture and a Goldwing back to back today!

Tomr

Reaction score
First Name
Tom
A little background……

Like many of you, I’ve enjoyed motorcycling for most of my life. I started riding minibikes about, well, 45 years ago, and have been hooked ever since. Though I’ve had some significant periods where I’ve been “between bikes”. Currently, I ride a 2016 GS Adventure. Recent past bikes: 2013 Tiger Explorer, 2007 BMW R1200RT.

My wife (Sabrina), however, is not particularly a fan. She’s been supportive of my passion, but is put off by the wind buffeting, and neck strain that she experiences as a passenger. I’ve not encouraged her participation because of the risks associated with motorcycling, and because I don’t think either of us would enjoy a motorcycle trip where she is uncomfortable. As we’re now empty nesters, though, we’re both looking for ways to spend more time together.

A few weeks ago, on a whim (she was in a particularly good mood), I suggested stopping by Maxim Honda /Yamaha in Allen to look at a Goldwing. My wife immediately pronounced that she would “ride anywhere” with me on that. I was intrigued…..

We weren’t prepared for a test ride that day, and had vacation plans coming up, so It was some time (today) before we would ride one. The opportunity came when I scheduled a time to ride the new Star Venture at the demo Event at Maxim. My wife (somewhat reluctantly) agreed to demo the bike with me. What follows are our impressions:

The Star Venture

The bike is long low and heavy! Despite the low seat height, when first seated on the bike, the weight was very noticeable. Sabrina climbed on board and we prepared to take off. As soon as we were moving, the weight became a non-factor. We motored out of the parking lot in the tall first gear. When the demo group pulled out into traffic, the lead took off faster than I expected. I grabbed some throttle to catch up, and promptly (and embarrassingly) ran into the rev limiter at or around the 4750 rpm redline. No need to rev this bike. The power curve is flat as south texas. I became quickly comfortable with the bike. There was plenty of room for my 6 foot frame, and the wind management seemed good. Vibration was a non-issue, shifts were a bit clunky, but the drivetrain seemed latch free thanks to the belt drive. As we continued, I noticed the engine heat at stops. It disappeared above about 30 mph, but was quite noticeable when still. Not much of a problem with temps in the mid 80s, but with hotter temps, I think it would cause discomfort. We continued on, and, as we headed into a strong headwind, I noticed some wind buffeting, but it was very minor compared to my GS (more later). Later, we turned down the feeder road to Central Expressway, and I ran the bike up to about 70 as we entered the onramp. I don’t remember the exact rpms, but 70 mph in 6th gear seems almost too slow. Top gear is definitely an overdrive gear. I’m guessing passes, would be most compelling with a downshift to 5th.

When we returned, Sabrina said that she thought the bike was loud, and that she felt “every bump”. The Yamaha rep said that there had been similar remarks from others, and that the settings could be softened up. He pulled off the side cover to demonstrate, and we observed that the preload was on the second to softest setting. Perhaps it’s a matter of suspension travel (rated at 4.3 inches). We’re on the lighter side of the spectrum, so maybe that is a factor as well.

Goldwing

After getting off of the Venture, we went inside and asked to ride a Goldwing. Fortunately, they had a demo bike on the floor, and agreed to let us take it out for a spin. My first ride on a Goldwing since I worked at a Honda dealership in college in 1984.

What a contrast! The Goldwing felt like a minibike by comparison with the Venture. At first the seating position felt cramped. Whereas the Venture has floorboards with feet forward controls, The ‘wing has pegs with controls that are situated in a much more conventional location. I chuckled at how small the bike felt, though the weight, when stationary, was certainly noticeable. We traveled largely the same route that we took with the Venture. I was immediately impressed the smoothness of the Goldwing’s flat six, which felt much more refined (and, dare I say, sporty) than the Venture’s v-twin. I really enjoyed the exhaust note of the ‘wing as well. There was some drivetrain latch with the wing, but shifts felt smoother, both to me and to my wife. I didn’t notice any engine heat. I took a little longer route which included a short 70 plus mph blast down Central Expressway. I felt like the ‘wing could have benefited from an extra gear (common feedback, I understand), but the engine was smooth, and I certainly felt like I could ride all day at elevated speeds (nothing new here, I know).

When we pulled into the dealership, Sabrina mentioned that whereas she moved around a lot on the Venture seat, she didn’t think she moved once in her seat on the wing. She did say that a taller shield might be in order for long trips (the screen was in the low position during our ride).

In the end, my wife liked the ‘wing better. Seat comfort, and the smoothness of the engine were factors.

After dinner, we went home and went for about a 30 mile ride on my GS (the longest she’s been…). She said that the seat, obviously, was not as comfortable, and, that buffeting was more of a factor (but not as bad as previous bikes). We both agreed, though, that the suspension on the GS was far better than on either the ‘wing or the Venture.

Overall a really fun day. I’m guessing there will be a spot for a Goldwing in my garage in the fairly near future.

You took a test drive on Central Expressway? :eek2::eek2::eek2:

Otherwise, sounds like a fun day.

Yes - Central Expressway is my least favorite road. I always like to test "worst case scenarios".... :)

Nice report, Tomr. I also took a demo ride on the Star Venture and my impressions were similar. I hit the rev limiter about four times. The bike felt very comfortable, and I felt like I could ride it all day.

I enjoyed more the demo ride I took on an FJR. That felt sportier than my Super Tenere, but I like the legroom more on the ST.

When the demo truck returns, I hope to try some more bikes. The price was right (free) and zero sales pressure.

Nice report, Tomr. I also took a demo ride on the Star Venture and my impressions were similar. I hit the rev limiter about four times. The bike felt very comfortable, and I felt like I could ride it all day.

I enjoyed more the demo ride I took on an FJR. That felt sportier than my Super Tenere, but I like the legroom more on the ST.

When the demo truck returns, I hope to try some more bikes. The price was right (free) and zero sales pressure.

Yes - the demo was great fun and Yamaha did a great job. I'll do it again as well!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back