• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S spark question

Reaction score
This has me confused. I just bought a 2001 red and blk Suzuki Bandit 1200S, and have got all the carbs rebuilt and sync'd...along with tons of other stuff. If you youtube "Surf Daze carburetor" you'll see how baaaad this bike was.

I fired up the bike and it sounded ok for a bike that was in storage for 8 years, but I noticed my #1 cyl exhaust pipe is not getting hot. 2,3,4 get nice and toasty. I pulled out the plug assuming it had a bad spark plug wire but when I touch it against a ground it sparks...it sparks just as much as one of the other plugs. These are new NGK J9BR (or whatever they were).

Any clues to why the exhaust pipe isn't getting hot when I have spark???

The 3 requirements are spark, air, and fuel. You're getting spark, at least when tested. Presumably all 4 cylinders are getting air, so I'd look at your #1 carb. Open the drain and see if you get fuel from it. You could have a stuck float or float needle or a clogged carb on #1.

As mentioned above, it could be a compression issue. Bikes that have sat unridden for awhile tend to develop new issues as you solve the old ones.. little things will continue to crop up even months later. Don't ask how I know.
I loved my Bandit, I only sold it recently to fund an FJR1300.
Bandit-stonehenge.jpg

Last edited:
Back