• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

How to fix this oil leak?!?!

Reaction score
I finally got the carbs cleaned and sync'd and other needed maintenance done on this bike. I took it for a quick 30 mile ride which was perfect until I was headed home and it felt kinda boggy....I initially thought it needed to be put on reserve but it didn't help . When I got off the freeway it dies, and getting it start was fine it just wouldn't hold an idle. I started it today and noticed white smoke coming out of the exhaust...not a huge white plume, just enough for me to notice, then I noticed the front of the bike and saw what was on the video.

My video I made is the only way to show you exactly what and where the issue is. The old owner must have been trying some weird crap to plug these holes....but one of them blew. :(

Excuse my language in the vid :(

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_1z95guDm8"]Where is this oil coming from!?!? - YouTube[/ame]

that is a secondary air port, there normally is a pipe attached there that the exhaust pulses suck in fresh air from to help clean the exhaust.
go to your local independant auto parts dealer and ask for gasket material suitable for exhaust. you will use the little plate as a template to cut out a gasket.
take the little plate with you, they can sell you a exhaust flange gasket for some vehicle just big enough to make the gasket you need so you don't have to buy a roll of material.
they should not be slobbering oil, that is indicative of a bigger problem.

Last edited:
Nope, those are the ports to drain water from around the spark plugs. When the valve cover is removed, there is obviously the main gasket around the outer side of the cover, but there are gaskets/seals around each spark plug. When they leak, they leak into the water drain area and onto the exhaust. Let me also note that I see blue silicone! Aaaaaahhhhhhh, that's a mechanical no no. If any sealant is to be used, use Permatex #2 or three bond sealant. Over time the silicone WILL break down and contaminate the oil system. Whatever you can see on the outside is certainly on the inside.

Anyway, pull the valve cover and replace the orings around the spark plug ports.

Nope, those are the ports to drain water from around the spark plugs. When the valve cover is removed, there is obviously the main gasket around the outer side of the cover, but there are gaskets/seals around each spark plug. When they leak, they leak into the water drain area and onto the exhaust. Let me also note that I see blue silicone! Aaaaaahhhhhhh, that's a mechanical no no. If any sealant is to be used, use Permatex #2 or three bond sealant. Over time the silicone WILL break down and contaminate the oil system. Whatever you can see on the outside is certainly on the inside.

Anyway, pull the valve cover and replace the orings around the spark plug ports.

you might want to look up the parts diagrams like I did.

Oooops

Now you've made dad mad.

Just speaking from personal experience with the 97 Bandit I owned. I pulled the valve cover to adjust the valves and was not careful when reinstalling. I had the exact same leak. Just looking at my Haynes manual #3367 page 2-13 figure 8.10b clearly shows the o-ring in question.

Also, same page under installation step 10 says, "If new gaskets are being used, apply a smear of a suitable adhesive (such as Suzuki Bond no. 1207B)..." that sealant is the same as 3Bond sealant available at most parts stores.

...and no I don't get mad or upset. I'm way to old for that.

My 2002 Bandit was an oil burner. The pistons were replaced at a local shop. It immediately started leaking oil instead of burning it. After three unsuccessful trips to have this rectified, I decided to buy a manual and try it myself. It didn't take long to discover the problem. There are eight head bolts, four of which are acorn nuts and four are standard nuts. The positions had all been reversed. The acorn nuts prevented oil from running through the threads of rods that ran externally through the heads. Five minutes with a torque wrench solved the problem forever.

This might help with my previous explanation. My "A"'s and "B"'s were reversed causing the leak.

Attachments

• IMG_2442.JPG
    IMG_2442.JPG
    116.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
Last edited:
Back