• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My new KTM 625SMC..

Reaction score
This is the bike that has made motorcycling fun for me again! I really look forward to going out and riding this bike. No matter what road it makes it fun, well except for highway riding, not so fun, what what bike makes that fun?

1118200632026PM_0029-vi.jpg

1118200631851PM_0022-vi.jpg

1118200631956PM_0027-vi.jpg

1118200631835PM_0021-vi.jpg

And of course one with my miniature Husky!

IMG_3052-vi.jpg

Thanks everyone! I've just now hit 400 miles... I wish I had more time to ride. Once it's broken in I'm going to core the cans, repalce the airbox cover, and re-jet.

Soon to come.. Marchesini Supermoto wheels and a full Ti exhaust!

chiricahua said:
Sweet, what area do you plan on Hooliganizing:mrgreen:

I've seen some other SM in the area prior to getting mine, but I've no contacts for anyone who has one or know if they do any group rides. As much fun as tearing up sport bikes would be on the twisties I'd prefer to ride with some other 'tards in the area. Are you SM's street legals? Another reason to do some SM rides is range, I don't think the sportbike riders will want to stop every ~70-80 miles.

EDIT.. NM on the street legal question, I see you have a DR-SM.. PM me your contact info, I'm need to get some riding in to break this engine in so I can mod it!

You sound like you plan to have tons of fun, good luck and be safe. How tall are you anyway? That bike looks really tall in the showroom.

RECIT said:
You sound like you plan to have tons of fun, good luck and be safe. How tall are you anyway? That bike looks really tall in the showroom.

~35 inch seat height. I'm 6 feet so it's no problem. Some of the other bikes have a 38+ inch seat height, I think almost everyone would be one-footing it at a stoplight.

Can you throw a set of knobbies on that bike? Just wondering if the triple clamps are wider or if it was even reasonable to have an extra set of rims/tires for minor off-roading.

titan305 said:
Can you throw a set of knobbies on that bike? Just wondering if the triple clamps are wider or if it was even reasonable to have an extra set of rims/tires for minor off-roading.

It is essentially the same bike as the 625SXC. It'd be a quick swap to a 21 inch front and 19 inch rear. I think the difference lies in the front caliper, since the SMC has the 4 pot brembo and the dirt version a 2 pot and a smaller rotor. It can be done, but there'd probably be a it of work involved. ktmtalk.com has heaps of threads on this very topic.

Congrats, these things are a ton of fun.

The SMC has different forks than an SXC, less travel and set up stiffer than SXC forks (more street oriented, less braking dive) but yeah you can dirt bike it out, just like I motard my SXC. :)

As was said youd need to sort the front brakes out, but I'm 90% sure just putting an SMC rotor on a 21" front wheel would be fine. You'd just want to watch your front brake useage on dirt with that strong front brake.

The back wheel should take any KTM LC4 bikes wheel all the way back to 1996 I think, though the SMC does have a wider swingarm so a spacer would probably be needed if it doesn't already have one.

The front might have different axle dimensions, maybe another spacer or axle or such you would have to check.

To motard the SXC I needed an axle spacer for the front.

I also use a 5 gallon tank I can swap out on the bike if I don't want to have to gas up so often.

The only reason to dirt bike it out would be for some pretty rough riding, the only thing a 21" front does is make it easier to get the front wheel over large objects like big ruts/logs/RR tracks/curbs etc. and slow the steering a bit.

Here's a pic of mine with the 17" wheels on it.

P1010192.JPG

And with 21" front and 18" rear.

P1000212.JPG

John, seeing those pictures of your bike brings back this odd tingling feeling in my hands and backside... :-P

Yeah that's one thing my '96 has over the 2004, it's a lot smoother with a lot less vibes. Probably because it has a bit less compression and power.

It also rides real nice with the factory Ohlins shock and Marzochi forks, a bit more plush than the 2004's WP suspension though I really haven't given the '04 as much attention at tweaking the suspension.

Both of em are total blasts to ride anywhere.

BTW we're supposed to be getting the replacement motor for the LC4 soon, a 700cc+ single. :) I hope they get some dual sport certified and imported, maybe the success they have had with the SMC's will spark a renewed interest in that especially if the street legal RFS driven dual sports do well.

Dyna Sport said:
Yeah that's one thing my '96 has over the 2004, it's a lot smoother with a lot less vibes. Probably because it has a bit less compression and power.

It also rides real nice with the factory Ohlins shock and Marzochi forks, a bit more plush than the 2004's WP suspension though I really haven't given the '04 as much attention at tweaking the suspension.

Both of em are total blasts to ride anywhere.

BTW we're supposed to be getting the replacement motor for the LC4 soon, a 700cc+ single. :) I hope they get some dual sport certified and imported, maybe the success they have had with the SMC's will spark a renewed interest in that especially if the street legal RFS driven dual sports do well.

The 2007 525EXC is street legal, and it would make a rippin' tard. Maint intervals are too high though for anyone who doesn't want to haul *** all the time. I'm still looking at buying one, I want to build the lightest/baddest tard I can, but still want it street legal because I don't go to the track enough to justify such a nice track whore.

rearviewmirror said:
The 2007 525EXC is street legal, and it would make a rippin' tard. Maint intervals are too high though for anyone who doesn't want to haul *** all the time. I'm still looking at buying one, I want to build the lightest/baddest tard I can, but still want it street legal because I don't go to the track enough to justify such a nice track whore.
Husaberg FS650e. the 05's and the 07's are street legal. Weight is only slightly higher than the Husqvarna SMR510 and it's a heck for stout. KTM is the parent company of Husaberg BTW.:trust:
http://www.husaberg.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=88

fs650e07.jpg

Squidward said:
Husaberg FS650e. the 05's and the 07's are street legal. Weight is only slightly higher than the Husqvarna SMR510 and it's a heck for stout. KTM is the parent company of Husaberg BTW.:trust:
http://www.husaberg.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=51&Itemid=88

fs650e07.jpg

Awesome bike! Dealer network is very weak though. That's not the kind of bike you want to live hours from the dealership if you own it. But I definitely think that is the best street designated tard available.

rearviewmirror said:
Awesome bike! Dealer network is very weak though. That's not the kind of bike you want to live hours from the dealership if you own it. But I definitely think that is the best street designated tard available.
KTM dealerships can get parts and can work on them(at least that is what the local Katoom dealer told me when i was looking into it). There are also a few online parts dealers for Bergs that have good reputations and keep things stocked. I'd really look into it if that is the kind of bike you really want. www.slmracing.com is local to me and they are an authorized Berg dealer(you have to call them for that though....they don't advertise it on their site).

Squidward said:
KTM dealerships can get parts and can work on them(at least that is what the local Katoom dealer told me when i was looking into it). There are also a few online parts dealers for Bergs that have good reputations and keep things stocked. I'd really look into it if that is the kind of bike you really want. www.slmracing.com is local to me and they are an authorized Berg dealer(you have to call them for that though....they don't advertise it on their site).

I did look into in Austin, and TJ's isn't a 'Berg dealer nor do they service them. There's no dealer (not even KTM) in San Antonio so getting the Husaberg was out of the question. Too bad, because I would have liked one. Of course $10k+ out the door for a 'tard is pushing the envelope as well. I mean it's coming down to asking the question, do you really need it to be that capable? It's like, does everyone need a gixxer 1k? I don't if I have to pay more for it and travel over 2-3 hours for warranty and/or service.

Nice looking bike. I love my 625SXC, it is fun to ride on & off road. It likes the asphalt curves even with knobby tires. I spent a lot of time re-springing & jetting mine.

rearviewmirror said:
Thanks everyone! I've just now hit 400 miles... I wish I had more time to ride. Once it's broken in I'm going to core the cans, repalce the airbox cover, and re-jet.
I can help you with the break-in, :mrgreen: I'm off all the time. :-P Where do you live?

Back