• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Selling a bike to out of towner

copb8

Most Ignored
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Bart
Last Name
Nale
I've bought and sold many bikes through individuals but it's always ended up being a face-to-face meeting to do final inspection of the bike and trade the cash and title.

I now have someone interested in my KTM 500 EXC that's listed here but he's in Michigan and I'm in Texas. He's got a quote for shipping although we haven't come to final terms yet.

I definitely need cash in my bank before the bike leaves my possession but what's his protection? If I have the cash in hand are there any other pitfalls I should be aware of?

Like to hear from anyone with experience or comments. Thanks.

Last edited:
Wire transfer. Once the finds are verified, FedEx him the title and schedule the pick up.

Have you talked to him on the phone, or just text? If just text, be wary. People will use throw away phones to text so they can't be traced. It might be a good idea to do research to make sure he is legit. For $9.95, you can see if he is who he says he is.

I experienced this exact opposite of this, I was purchasing a very expensive mountain bike from a guy in Utah that I didn't know and hadn't met.

We ended up using PayPal, but I sent the money as Friends and Family. This offered me no protection at all and it gave him the added benefit of being able to move the PayPal money into his bank account without any fees.

I did this based on numerous phone calls with him and his deep roots in his local community and he owned his own business.

Soon as I sent him the PayPal he sent me the UPS tracking number and it all worked out fine. Bike came on-time and was exactly what I expected.

That was unique and I don't know if I would ever do it again, but I thought I would share my experience.

With all of that said, I am going to be listing the very same bike for sale and I was wondering to myself what I was going to do. PayPal is very expensive if you use the "protection" stuff, but friends and family is free... (There may be limits to that, but I send my kids PayPal money all the time, they use it with their PayPal debit card, works great)

We've traded several emails and scheduled a call. I wanted to have my ducks in a row before that call.

I think wiring the money is the safest and least expensive way of moving the cash. I'd obviously be comfortable once the money was in my account shipping the bike. I like the fedex of the title idea.

I'd be happy to provide photo ID and proof of residence and anything else he'd want for verification.

Who here as commercially shipped a bike and how did it go? Who'd you use?

At some point, someone has to do the most trusting. Whether it's you or him, that's up to ya'll. Or you decide to sell locally.

If I were him, I'd get a Spirit el cheapo flight, and come here and exchange the cash and watch it go on the truck. Pick him up at the airport, take him for some Tex Mex, drop him off, all is good. I recently flew round trip to Tampa for $107 no frills. That'd be worth it to me.

At some point, someone has to do the most trusting. Whether it's you or him, that's up to ya'll. Or you decide to sell locally.

If I were him, I'd get a Spirit el cheapo flight, and come here and exchange the cash and watch it go on the truck. Pick him up at the airport, take him for some Tex Mex, drop him off, all is good. I recently flew round trip to Tampa for $107 no frills. That'd be worth it to me.

This is really good advise. I'd personally fly to look at it. One man's pristine may be another man's fair. I once flew all the way to Montreal to do a final inspection on a car that was allegedly 'pristine'. Soon as he pulled the cover off I knew my $500 ticket saved me a bunch of money.

Its all about the "feel" you get from lots of communications with the seller... You can tell -- IF you know what you're buying and IF you spend the time...

This is the big thing, somebody has the most risk, is it worth it? Once gone, hard to change things.

On the shipping I have bought 3 bikes from out of state dealer and had shipped. All went well but one was delayed for personal problems of shipper. Over a week, no biggie other I got very nervous! All 3 were different, first was a national trucking company, 18 wheeler, had to meet him. Other an independent guy with enclosed trailer the dealer used, and last time was Uship driver. Man and wife hillbillys from Ark with nothing but an old pickup. And it was the best experience. Got here early and they stayed in touch all the way here once they had the bike. They had to spend night and slept in truck with the bike!!!!

You're the seller, probably have to risk less trust than buyer, me, I won't buy from an individual out of state, UNLESS I found somebody local to check the bike. As you said, everybody rates things differently.

You're the seller, probably have to risk less trust than buyer, me, I won't buy from an individual out of state, UNLESS I found somebody local to check the bike. As you said, everybody rates things differently.

If this happens and we agree on a number I'll offer to take the bike to a dealer of his choice and have it inspected. This will give him confidence that I really do have the bike and it's not internet fiction, and that it's of the condition I described.

If the dealer charges him a $100 bucks it would be well worth it in my mind.

I have done this several times, both as buyer and seller. Gone to Nevada, Georgia, New Mexico, Houston. I have done round trips, meet ups halfway, and fly and ride ($51 to Houston! ). I just never felt comfortable with buying site unseen and shipping, but then I enjoy a nice road trip now and then.

I suppose if I was the seller and had the cash in hand before the bike shipped, I would be good. If I was the buyer, I might be a little nervous.

Every time I've bought something out of town and drove out to get it I've really enjoyed meeting the folks who were selling the bike. Great community.

Wire transfer is 100% safe. Once the funds are in your account they cannot be rescinded. Really most of the trust is on his side, it would be much easier for you to take his money and disappear than for him to steal a bike from 1,200 miles away.

Whole thing seems legit. Some clues;

1) you're selling a fairly unique & desirable bike (get suspicious when someone wants to buy a bike they could find on their local Craigslist)
2) He's taking care of the shipping, no sending you money to cover the shipping

Well it looks like it's a moot point now. Had another gentleman who's within an easy drive commit to buy it and pick it up on Friday.

Was going to send me a few hundred dollars to hold it but didn't have paypal. He seemed honest and committed enough that I told him I hold it without a deposit.

We'll see.

Thanks for all the input and education though. May come in handy next time.

Thanks!

But shhhhh...... It ain't over until it's over. ☺

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I sold a bike to a guy in Ohio. He paid via Paypal and arranged shipping. He told me to give the title to the guy from the shipping company when they picked it up.

I sold my 1290 Super Duke R to a guy in California. He researched me on several forums and then straight up paid me with a cashiers check. He sent a shipper and I helped load it. Did an inspection with the guy, faxed the inspection sheet and posted the pictures to him. A very satisfying deal all around. I would do it again.

I've bought a couple of bikes from out of state. #1 was "he's on the forum for a couple of years, hopefully he is a good guy." It went very well, still have it in my collection. #2, the guy had been on the forum for years but had never posted. I kicked cash to a buddy 2.5hrs away to drive down, check it out, ride it. He came back "if you buy it, you need to clean the carbs." I sent my buddy a check a week before he was going to pick it up (so the check would clear) and handed the seller a pile of cash in exchange for the keys and title.

I guess I haven't been getting any forum love. Assuming this happens I've now sold 4 bikes in the last 2.5 months and every single buyer came from craigslist so no history to verify. So far all have been great guys with a passion for bikes.

Just sold the bike to a guy from Witchita Falls. He drove in to pick it up. I'll keep this thread for future reference.

Thanks all.

Congrats, can't beat face to face transactions.

Back