• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tomahawk tires

pdef

Reaction score
First Name
Philip
Does anyone have any experience with Tomahawk tires?

http://www.cycletires.com/

I just ordered a new set this morning. No, not the colored ones, although I was tempted. After fishtailing my bike on highway 6 yesterday, I learned that wet and cold roads plus semi worn tires aren't a good thing, and at 130 bucks for both front and rear I would give these guys a try.

Hopefully they will be in when the weather clears up next week. :mrgreen:

Keep an eye on Cycle Gear. They run sales every now and then for 169.95 for front & rear of premium tires. You can register with their online sales & they will email you with sales.

Hmm I will look into that. I got my jacket from cyclegear and they have very good deals.

Howdy,

:tab I look forward to hearing your impressions of these tires. Like many things, I have found that there is a huge difference in the quality of the budget tires and the name brand stuff. This is not to say that more expensive tires are necessarily better though. If I have a set that I really like, then I will pay a little extra for them. The reason being that the tires are so crucial to the handling and feel of the bike. They are your only connection to the road. How they grip, flex, etc,... can drastically affect your riding and your confidence in the bike. I never cease to be amazed at how good a bike feels right after I put on a new set of tires. The old tires get crappy gradually enough that I just get used to the feel as it changes. But when the new tires go on, the change is so sudden it really gets my attention. For a few miles I marvel at how much better the bike handles and responds to inputs, then I forget and slide back into being used to it, hehe.

:tab I am partial to the Metzler Sporttec M1's if you just want grip over mileage. Otherwise, I really like the Michilen Pilot Roads for better mileage over grip.

:tab Just out of curiousity, which color would you have picked? I saw these tires at the Bike Show in DFW back in November. The colors were really "off" compared to bike colors. They were like a pastel color, kinda nasty hehe. But the black tires did not look bad. So if they ride well, last well and aren't real expensive, they might be worth trying. Keep us informed.

Adios,

Tourmeister said:
:tab Just out of curiousity, which color would you have picked? I saw these tires at the Bike Show in DFW back in November. The colors were really "off" compared to bike colors. They were like a pastel color, kinda nasty hehe. But the black tires did not look bad. So if they ride well, last well and aren't real expensive, they might be worth trying. Keep us informed.

I've not seen these tires in person yet, but one of our customers told me his buddy bought a set. I think they were yellow. This guy told me that after his friend rode them on the street a while, they turned sort of a green. :-?

The only way I would get the colored tires is if they perfectly matched the bike color and I was just making a show bike. I would think after enough miles, all colors eventually turn black.

I dont know if I will be able to tell the difference between the tomahawk tires and a better known name brand since I dont really have that much experience with them. I think my bike is still running the stock tires. I will run these new tires for awhile and keep my eye on a good deal for a name brand set and maybe put those on when summer rolls around.

I think my bike is still running the stock tires.
:suicide:

:tab If you are using the D204 tires that came on the VFR when it was new, when you do get a good set of tires, you will be amazed. I did not know any better when we bought our 98. When they wore out, I replaced them with a set of D205's. They were much better. However, even the 205's sucked when I finally started getting something like the BT010 front, the Pirelli Dragon GTS front, and the Metzler M1 front. Having a tire with good grip on the front totally transforms the way the bike handles and feels. The rear tire is not as critical. The D205's had adequate grip for sport/touring and lasted about 5-7K miles depending on how I was riding. I would not take the D205 on the track!! So for a long time I ran a softer sport tire on the front with the harder D205 rears and it worked great.

:tab When I bought the 01 VFR, I put about 500 miles on the D204's before taking them off and putting better tires on. I had become so used to the grip and handling of the better tires that I could hardly stand the ride the bike with the D204's. I never got around to selling them. They are rotting out back on the porch :lol: The D205 has been phased out and replaced by the D220's. I have not tried them yet. Some folks really seem to like them, others hate them :shrug: The BT 020 and Pilot Roads are both very popular rear sport/touring tires.

:tab It is quite common to see people running the BT010 front with the BT020 rear, or a Pilot front witha Pilot Road rear. The most important thing is that you don't want to mix profiles. If the front tire is sharp and pointy like the D207's, then you generally want a rear tire with the same kind of profile. Likewise, if you have a nuetral profile on the front (constant curved shape), then you want the same on the rear. Mixing profiles can lead to very strange and unnerving handling.

Adios,

Tires came in today. Going on in the morning. Gonna break them in commuting to school and work and then will give them a workout this weekend. :mrgreen:

Hey Philip,

:tab I will be out riding this weekend as well. I plan on meeting a group down in Conroe and just going wherever they lead. They are planning to ride up around Madisonville over to Trinity. If you like, you can meet me here in Huntsville about 9:00am and we can ride down together. Or I can try to figure out how to tell you to get to the meet place in Conroe.

Adios,

Aren't those tires remanufactured? I don't know, but in a motorcycle I wouldn't ue something like that, what if the thread separated at speed?? Ok,Ok, I'm being fatalist here, as always, so please forgive me. I hope they turn out good tho. :-)

Saturday morning I believe. I will double check though tomorrow night at the bike night at Kings.

Adios,

Well I put 50 miles on the tires today and so far they have handled well. My mechanic asked me where I got them because they are the softest remoulds he has ever seen and wanted to try a set on his own bike.

So far so good. :chug:

It is Saturday morning. If you come into Conroe on Hwy 105 from the West, go south on I-45 to the Loop 336 exit (one or two down). Loop under I-45 and get on Northbound feeder. A mile or so up on the right will be a building with a crap load of golf carts out front. I think the street name is Enterprise Row. Turn right. This is a short street, less than half mile before you dump out on Frazier. Look for a big group of bikes in a parking lot right on the street. Don't know if it is on the left or right side :shrug: They are leaving at 10:00am. I'll probably get there around 9:30-9:45am. I wanna get an idea of what route they plan on running. If it isn't that great I may just head over by Lake Livingston and run some of the fun roads over there. ;-)

Adios,

Back