• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Chain and Sprockets!? 118 or 120!?

Reaction score
So I guess OEM is 118 RK chain. Found a 530 X ring for a decent price but its 120 link rather not pop a link if I don't have to. I assume it wouldn't be a biggy if my wheel base increases slightly!? Also I assume Sunstar as the better stronger sprockets same as OEM? Thanks! :rider:

Sunstars are fine. Not sure what the issue is with removing a link or 2. Takes about 2 minutes. :huh:

It'll be my 1st time and no issue I guess. Just wondered if there was any downside/benefit to running a extra link! Slightly longer wheel base so maybe a smidgen more stable! :p

It'll be my 1st time and no issue I guess. Just wondered if there was any downside/benefit to running a extra link! Slightly longer wheel base so maybe a smidgen more stable! :p

I will admit that one of these makes it much easier.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0001-Chain-Breaker/dp/B000GTXNI6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422575379&sr=8-1&keywords=chain+breaker+motorcycle&pebp=1422575387436&peasin=B000GTXNI6"]Amazon.com: Motion Pro 08-0001 Chain Breaker: Automotive[/ame]

As for running an extra link, there is no issue there. Just need to remember the chain will stretch a little so take that into account when looking at the tick marks on your axle blocks.

Thank you!! What do you recommend for a cheap good tool to put the rivet in!?

Thanks found that on Amazon as well! So the million dollar question my biggest concern. How do you know when the rivet is in enough nor too much!? :o

It's really not that big of a deal. It's unlikely that you will push it far enough to damage it. Basically just turn the allen screw slowly until you see the ridge on the rivet pop through enough to put the master link clip on. You may have to remove the tool once or twice to see if you clip goes on but once you do it the first time, you will have the technique down and it's a piece of cake. Popping the the link off and pressing it back together is the easy part. Take great care to ensure that the master link clip is put back on correctly.

For a 530 chain, adding 2 links will increase your wheel base nearly 5/8". does your adjuster give you enough room to adjust that much and still allow for wear? By the way, you can't add or subtract 1 link on a motorcycle chain without replacing the normal master link with a half link. Those are used on machinery type chains and not motorcycles. All motorcycles come with an even number of links on the chain.

Reading the last comment brought back memories of my finale 500 miles coming back from a Canada trip and had totally ran out of adjustment on my oem chain. I forget the mileage I had on it but thinking a bit over 20,000.

Wow... I have about 41k and have maybe 1/2 an inch of available adjustment! :eek2:

Regarding expansion of the master link rivets. I tend to make sure they are tightened until they have the same tension when flexed as the rest of the chain. This does involve re-application of the flair tool a few times but you sure don't want it binding the link or be overly loose.
With the longer swingarm on the 1250 I'm not sure how much stability you would gain over stock. Lengthening the wheelbase will also slow the steering down.
What are you buying for chain and sprockets? I'm still on the stock stuff at 10m.

Basically a RK Hayabusa X ring chain same as ours and Sunstar sprockets stock gearing I think not sure yet lol

Wow... I have about 41k and have maybe 1/2 an inch of available adjustment! :eek2:

I do too much gravel/dirt/rain. It eats the orings sooner. I looked back and it was 23.600 miles.
IMG_0990.jpg

Not indusive to long chain / sprocket life.

Dupont Teflon and let it dry before leaving home. I also use it on my KLR which does lots of gravel also. I also clean the Bandit chain with kerosene about every 5000 miles. I ran a bit over 40K miles on the next chain/sprocket set up using DID X ring and changed again right before a trip in May of 2013 where I WAS headed to California then up to Washington and back down. Had a crash avoiding a deer on a Davis mountains backroad which put me fixing damage to the bike ( Gas tank and luggage ) and still repairing damage to me. LOL!

Back