• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Robert "ZapataZR7" Benitez, Katy, TX

Zapata

Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Benz
Hello there...!!! I'm also know as: Itztli or Zapata.

2000 Kawasaki ZR-7

DSCF0265-vi.jpg

DSCF0263-vi.jpg

Hey Leo: Thanks for the compliments...!!! Do not see you very much around this board...!! How you doing..??? How's the Baby..??

Yeap...Those "KZ750" engines are "bullet-proof"....!!!!! Very reliable and simple engines, I ride a lot in the Houston traffic and never an issue with the warm temps. (around 100 degress stuck on bumber to bumber traffic once and the engine never showed any overheating) :chug:

Too bad that big K is pulling off the ZR-7s for 2004. :(

Here is some history about this amazing engine....

Here's the "unofficial" history of the
ZR-7 from ZR-7.com contributor D.B. Orr:
In 1976, the KZ650 was born, then it begat the KZ750 in 1980.

and there was much rejoicing...

The KZ750 displaced 738cc (sound familiar)
The sages at Kawasaki then waved the magic horsepower wand in 1982 and made the first GPz750 which was faster than its predecessor due to higher compression and polished intake tracts..

In 1983 the GPz750 gained a single shock with a rising rate
linkage (unitrak).

During this time there were various LTD and CSR models using this mighty motor, as well as the 750 specter that had shaft drive.

The GPz continued on until 1985 or 1986 (I am a little fuzzy on that one) and then Big "K" pulled the plug...

Verily, there was much wailing and hair tearing and the people wept.....

But lo, you can't keep a good bike down...thus was born the
750 zephyr in 1991 and there was again rejoicing.

But alas, the bike was ahead of its time in the U.S. and sadly
ceased to be imported (though it was still sold overseas).

But then happily in 2000, team green saw fit to bring the ZR-7 to the U.S. (overseas, it was 1999).

©2000 - 2003 ZR-7.com

Howdy,

:tab That is a nice looking bike. When I was riding my 92 Nighthawk 750, I was envious of the brakes and other upgrades present on the ZR-7 ;-) It really made me wish that Honda would bring the Euro CB-750 over here. It is basically an upgraded Nighthawk. I guess now everyone is shooting for the 600cc range or the 1000cc on all the standards. So it does not surprise me to learn Kawasaki is doing away with this one. :-(

Adios,

I could swear I've seen that bike b-4. Are you near Barker Cypress & Keith Harrow?
Kelly

Yeah, I like those 750 Kawis too. I was planning on getting one, but I got too good of a deal to pass it up, for better or worse. I'm quite happy with the Bandit, but there are times that an additional 150 cc's would be welcome..... My first bike, in fact was a 750 Nighthawk. Loved it, wish I never sold it 8 years ago. Anyhow, maybe with the naked thing catching on, an updated nighthawk could be in the works??? One can hope. Anyway, welcome to the board, maybe we can do some miles someday!

TR
Brady TX

Quote:
Are you near Barker Cypress & Keith Harrow?

Yes indeed..!!

I work near there and always notice bikes. I think it was the bullet hole that triggered my memory. ;-)

Hey Itzli, the baby it's doing gggreat! I know I haven't been around lately, but thats bound to change. And Shortline, I used to have a bandit 600, 97 model, loved the bike, but not enought whoomp, I outgrew the bike pretty quick, but I could lean that thing all the way to the pegs, it was fun indeed.

Did you change your front springs already?

Cool bike bud,

I lived out near there , Cypress actually for many years. Never had a bike back then when the roads were more or less deserted. I can't beleive how much traffic has moved out that way.

Take care and catch ya later.

Back