• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle dealers

Reaction score
Is there a decent dealer in this metromess?

Plano Kawasaki are a bunch of Dumb (insert prefered vulgarity here).

Then because those lot are who they are, I tried Grapevine Kawasaki. What a slice that was.

I told the guy I was coming for a TEST RIDE. I pull up on my bike, which is worth more than the one I want to test ride. After an hour or so of BS was told they don't test ride sport bikes! It's not a sport bike it's naked. As much as I hate to admit it I cannot pass for an 18 year old dumb squid. Not even if I suck it in.

Best of all during the BS period the saleman, nice guy actually, seems to know less about bikes THAN MY WIFE. Gives me a bunch of wrong technical information. Read the brochure buddy.

Where do these places come off. Lord help me. Ever want to just smack somebody hoping they will listen to what they just said?:eek2:

Help, anybody know a good honest dealer with a technically competant shop in DFW?

Never thought I could have a bad day shopping for a new motorcycle.

Ahh I feel better now.:zen:

Watch out for those guys though jeez. :rider:

Last edited by a moderator:
Just buy it from Pasadena Kawasaki, in pasadena Texas, and I will bring it to you, I dont know about the test ride part, but they will bend over backwards to help you. ie, they didnt have the tire I wanted, so they told me to let them know where to get it, they will order it and only charge me to put it on. And when I was looking for a small D/S for the wifus, they spent 30 minutes calling arounf trying to find it. My next Kawi is coming from Pasadena Kawasaki. They would probably find the bike for you to test ride, and then tell you where to go ride it, they are that nice. What were you looking at anyway ? Maybe some one on the board has one you can test lean.....:trust:

I have talked with a few people on the board. They have all been excellant as we would all expect.

Best part of the tale that I forgot is it was a used bike not even a new one.

As for the Pasadena guys I have seen some adds from them and they seem to offer good deals. Everything in the metromess seems to be significantly higher than anywhere else.

I will ride a couple hours to save hundreds or in some cases I have seen thousands of $$$$$$$

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried a couple of the local Yammy dealers back in October when I was ready to deposit on my FJR. Either they were all charging top dollar and were unwilling to even consider a deal or had no clue what I was talking about when I said PDP. Anyway, ended up depositing with Tony O. at Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana. Don't know what it is with dealers around here.

I bought my 06 FKR from Tony at Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana and they are really a great outfit. Picked mine up last Friday. Great price, great experience, great people. Local dealers in Dallas area suck and I will not buy from them. I go and search out dealers that have their stuff together and want to sell you a bike.

I would agree with fallendown. Shop around some. I bought my VFR from Honda of Houston, and they were great. Now...they would not let me ride a VFR, but they do allow rides on other types (cruisers, dirt, scooters, etc). Dunno if it is an insurance thing or what. But they certainly were not rude about. A simple phone call answered my question of "Can I ride it or not?" It sounds like this dealer just wanted to get you in the door. Not cool.

Shop around for better dealers and better service. They are out there. Good luck! :)

I bought my FJR from North Texas Yamaha after test riding one they had on consignment, the salesman got in BIG trouble for letting me do this. Their service is OK for the little work I let them do.
A few guys here rave on about Cycle Center of Denton.
Good luck.

Shop around. I wasn't too impressed w/ Suzuki/Yamaha dealer in Plano. I bought initial new scoot from Sherman Power Sports. They are just marginally better.

I would check cycle trader, find the bike you want and call owner to check for a test ride. I never had a problem provided they showed a cycle license and insurance and left their vehicle they came in w/ me.

Cycle dealers are just like other stores. They got good ones and they got bad ones. Good luck in your search.

Yep you are right about Plano Kawasaki-Suzuki!!! not very friendly folks, we could not agree on price, so now when I go in they refuse to speak to me!!! I do not have hard feelings about it, but they seem too. I totally understand the dealer not meeting my price, as they have someone that will pay it. but dont be a jerk to a potential future customer. BTW they did let me test-ride a new 06 GSXR 1000 right off the show-room floor. Too bad They would not come down the $1800 I saved from another dealer. If you are looking for Honda, Suzuki, Polaris and even Harley. Try Bartlesville Cyclesports in Bartlesville, OK they are top notch, and no BS when you get there. I have purchased 4 bikes from them, and at my request I ask they be left in the CRATE SEALED, until I arrive. They meet that request with a smile. Here is the link, the prices are real, and wont change when you get there.

http://www.bartlesvillecyclesports.com/

Todd

The guys at Granbury Powersports (Kawasaki/Suzuki dealership) are great. We've bought two bikes from them and they've taken excellent care of us. Prices are higher in the Metromess because they can be. Most people who buy bikes around here, especially in Plano and Grapevine, aren't going to haggle over price. They can afford to walk in, pick out what they want, pay for it and get out. If you want better prices, you'll definitely have to go to the dealerships in smaller towns.

I must be the only person who's had great experiences from Plano Kawasaki/Suzuki. Have bought 4 different bikes from them so far ... haven't regretted any purchase.

My experiences at Plano Kawasaki have always been very positive as well. I am an acquaintance of the sales manager there; she and the entire staff have always been great to deal with. Unlike most other dealers, they *might* let you ride the bike first. It depends on who you are and the image you present. Eighteen and wanting a liter bike - forget it. Mid-forties professional driving an expensive car - sure, take the Hayabusa for a spin. The only exception I recall is used consignment bikes - can't ride them because the dealer doesn't own them. They don't compete aggressively on price, that is true.

The Irving Kawasaki dealer has tags on every bike showing the OTD price, and they are aggressive on price. Can't vouch for other aspects of their business, but they were the only dealer in town with a decent selection of valve shims in stock when I needed some.

I too have an '06 FJR on order from Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana. All the DFW dealers I called wanted sticker + shipping + assembly. And they didn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. In contrast, Tony O. has great pricing, knows the product, and offers great, no-baloney, to the point customer service. Works for me.

- JimY

jcyuhn said:
My experiences at Plano Kawasaki have always been very positive as well. I am an acquaintance of the sales manager there; she and the entire staff have always been great to deal with. Unlike most other dealers, they *might* let you ride the bike first. It depends on who you are and the image you present. Eighteen and wanting a liter bike - forget it. Mid-forties professional driving an expensive car - sure, take the Hayabusa for a spin. The only exception I recall is used consignment bikes - can't ride them because the dealer doesn't own them. They don't compete aggressively on price, that is true.

The Irving Kawasaki dealer has tags on every bike showing the OTD price, and they are aggressive on price. Can't vouch for other aspects of their business, but they were the only dealer in town with a decent selection of valve shims in stock when I needed some.

I too have an '06 FJR on order from Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana. All the DFW dealers I called wanted sticker + shipping + assembly. And they didn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy feeling. In contrast, Tony O. has great pricing, knows the product, and offers great, no-baloney, to the point customer service. Works for me.

- JimY
I can vouch for dealing with Kawasaki City of Irving when purchasing a bike. I can't, however, vouch for their service department....I haven't really dealt with them outside of doing damage estimates on Kim's bike and mine last month.

Well I have to disagree. Bought My Connie at Plano Kawasaki, took care of me really well and gave me a good deal. They evened open the service dept early on a saturday, to get me taken care of so I would not miss my road trip. Sorry you all have had some bad luck there..I would have owned a FJR but the guys at Central Yamaha.. were to busy to deal with me.. Maybe they were having a bad day.. Just my 2 cents

TAPnTX said:
I have purchased 4 bikes from them, and at my request I ask they be left in the CRATE SEALED, until I arrive. They meet that request with a smile.

So what happens if you drive all the way to Bartlesville, only to have them open the crate and find the bike's all boogered up?

Well has not happened yet !!!! Here are pics of the Last 2

GSXR 1000 $9611 OTD Paid taxes here!!!
GSXR_2.jpg

GSXR_3.jpg

GSXR_4.jpg

GSXR 600 $7711 OTD Paid taxes here!!!
GSXR6_2.jpg

GSXR6_5.jpg

GSXR6_7.jpg

Todd

rocket said:
I bought my 06 FKR from Tony at Yamaha Sportscenter in Texarkana and they are really a great outfit. Picked mine up last Friday. Great price, great experience, great people. Local dealers in Dallas area suck and I will not buy from them. I go and search out dealers that have their stuff together and want to sell you a bike.

I haven't picked mine up yet, but scheduled to head out there this Friday to bring it home. Even so, every phone call and email exchange with Tony has always been top notch. Easy to tell that customer service is a high priority for him. I'm pretty sure he'll be getting most of my business from here forward.

Come to East Texas. Longview Cycle & Ski. Kawasakis. Ask for Jim. Super guys, knowledgeable, good pricing. (Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the place except that they take my money and give me good service.)

I picked up my VFR at DFW Honda and they let me take her out on the freeway:rider: and got me hooked,lined and sunkerd:flip: You could see it in the ones that knew what they were selling and the ones that were there for there money.

Nuther small town dealer plug: Burleson Powersports (Yamaha only). Can ride any cruiser, standard, DS, or dirt bike after presenting MC license. Can ride any sportbike after qualifying for Yamaha Credit. I haven't put it to the test yet, but it came from the sales manager's mouth. BTW, just shoot me if I ever use manufacturer's credit

pacman1 said:
BTW, just shoot me if I ever use manufacturer's credit

That's funny. I had the same attitude until we bought our two most recent bikes. Kawasaki was offering 4.9% for the first two years and then 7.9% thereafter. We couldn't find a financial institution that would match it, and we've got great credit. So Kawasaki got our money and we'll just make sure we pay them off before the rate goes up.

In all fairness, Allison got a test ride on a new '05 ZZR-600 at Plano Kawasaki. The only problem was, they thought she was someone else. Some other woman had called them up saying that she wanted to buy one. We wandered in before she got there. When the salesman saw Allison scoping out the bike, he jumped to the wrong conclusion and, assuming the deal was already in the bag, offered to prep the bike and let her take it out. We didn't know about the mistaken identity and just thought he was being cool. So Alli took it around the block and liked it. In the mean time, the other woman showed up and wanted to know what they were doing letting someone else ride "her" bike. The biggest mistake they made was letting her know that they had another one in a crate in the back. Which left them holding the bag on a "used" demo bike. Realizing their situation, I offered them a fair price on the bike, which they refused.

So we went to Granbury Powersports, where we paid several hundred dollars less than MSRP for the bikes, TTL and the full extended warranties. Plus we got a good deal on financing. And I didn't even have to haggle. Every time I was about to low-ball them on the price of something, the owner would beat me to the punch with an offer several hundred dollars cheaper than what I was about to throw on the table. And they've consistently taken great care of us after the sale.

Glad you had a good experience with Kawasaki, and Granbury Powersports. I just have this nightmare of being a day late with my payment and then finding out my rate just doubled.

I know a guy who screwed up his payments somehow (totally his fault) and ended up with 24.9%:eek2:! I'm not in the habit of being late, but I know that if I am, my bank is going to stand by the rate I signed up for. I don't know if you can say the same for HonKawYamSuz financing. It seems like everytime I see a deal in the paper with a low rate, the fine print dealing with how high your rates will be if you're late takes up more room than the ad itself. I like to stick with my bank, and force the salesperson to talk cash with me. They hate it, which means it's probably a better deal for me. BTW, I hate car/motorcycle salepeople.:evil: Evil!

Uh, sorry to all the salespeople out there. Nothing personal. I'm sure you're all perfectly nice people away from your job. :angel:

RE: Financing

Don't forget about credit unions. I am a member of Shell Federal Credit Union. They gave me 7.5% for 48 months on my new scoot. The rate ended up at 7.25% because I am letting them draft my checking account as opposed to a mailed in bill. I also financed my wife's Suburban (bought 2 year old used) through them at 5.9% for 60 months. Great rates, very cool folks, and very easy to work with. Don't forget about this untapped resource. :)

I will give PKSA credit for their parts department. Those guys are professional and knowledgeable. Never bought a bike there, I buy from CCoD for those models. I got fed up trying to find a R1 for a decent price around here. Not only would none of the dealerships negotiate off MSRP, they all wanted to add those bogus "set up" charges. I ended up getting it at Paris Yamaha and saved about $1000.00.

Back