• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month - May 2006

whoa

Reaction score
First Name
david
Last Name
day
I just read about a fatality involving a Scotsman who was a regular contributer on a Triumph forum. It prompted me to Google around on safety and found info on Motorcycle Awareness. Somehow I missed this last year, is anybody involved in promoting this? Have you dealt with local government or media? And is it a nationwide program, or beyond the US?

I searched TWTex and saw one thread with no responses last year, so it may be something that just isn't promoted very well, or only being pushed by a small group. One site suggested contacting local city mayors to have proclamations signed to help draw media attention. Anybody ever been involved with this?

Seems like contacting the local bike shop for a weeknight meeting with an MSF instructor or police motor officer might draw a crowd. Of course, there is greater need to reach cage operators.

A recent auto bicycle fatality in Austin prompted the local paper to host a blog on bicycles on roadways. The amount of response from drivers oblivious to state laws, or basic principals of right of way was enlightening.

Anybody with insight or experience have any thoughts on this? It's new to me.
David

I think it would be a great idea to have this be public.

Now that I am riding and see how many other bikers are out there, I wish they would bring more attention to them. I also hear more about accidents now that I am more aware. As a car driver you are totally ignorant of the fact how many motorcyclists are out there.

I tried to do a press release last year. My position is required to do so many a year so I figured I could do something I was interested in and accomplish my goals. Couldn't get anyone from MSF or anyone else to call me back. I was trying to get permission to use some of their stuff in my release. The date came and went and no one would return my calls so it didn't get done.

Maybe I'll try again this year. :shrug:

For the Austin area, I've contacted TCSO, DPS, TMRA and Lone Star BMW, just via email so far. With the lack of results from web searches, I'm beginning to believe this is something few groups are working on.

Actually, with ROT coming to Austin, it would probably serve me to contact the HD shops in town (or ROT organizers) and leverage any press related to ROT. I do recall some local press last year asking motorist to be aware of motorcycles, so there will be some level of press for ROT.

whoa said:
Actually, with ROT coming to Austin, it would probably serve me to contact the HD shops in town (or ROT organizers) and leverage any press related to ROT. I do recall some local press last year asking motorist to be aware of motorcycles, so there will be some level of press for ROT.

I dunno, when I think of the phrases "ROT Rally" and "Motorcycle Safety Awareness", I tend to be overwhelmed by irony. ;-)

buck000 said:
I dunno, when I think of the phrases "ROT Rally" and "Motorcycle Safety Awareness", I tend to be overwhelmed by irony. ;-)

Yeah, this is supposed to be for the cagers, not the riders. :rofl:

txmedic said:
Yeah, this is supposed to be for the cagers, not the riders. :rofl:

This is the context the media used last year. To let motorists know that a few more motorcyclists will be in town, and to keep a heads up.

There were some efforts to appeal to riders to try and chill out too. Putting the drive through beer stop on the grounds was a major effort to this end. :mrgreen:

Response from DPS

David, the Department will be sending out a press release declaring May
as Motorcycle Safety and Awareness Month. We have the Governor's
proclamation on our web page.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/06Proclamation.pdf

For more information about motorcycling in Texas, check our web page,
www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb. If I can be of any further assistance, call
me at 512/424-2803 or 1-800-292-5787 or email me at
clifton.burdette@txdps.state.tx.us.

Sincerely,

Clif Burdette
Coordinator
DPS Motorcycle Safety Unit

Following your request to keep this stuff together, here's a repost of my letter sent to the local TV stations following Matt Ogilvie's death.

If they contact me I'll point out the timeliness of the Motorcycle Safety Awareness month coming up.

Letter sent to Austin stations KVUE, KXAN, KEYE, and News 8:

With more people turning to motorcycles & scooters to avoid high gas costs, there is an ever-growing number of bikes on the road. Now, following the recent deaths of Mary Le who was rear-ended in Taylor a few weeks ago, and just yesterday Matt Ogilvie in Cedar Park, a story about "Motorcycles in the Mix" would be very timely.

You would be doing a public service and could have a potentially very interesting story to boot if you did a weeklong series on motorcycles (and scooters) in traffic. One story could be about the advantages of 2-wheelers, another could illustrate to car drivers the scenarios for common car-bike accidents and how to avoid them, another could talk about special challenges riders face that a car driver wouldn't even think about. Another about tricks on how to live with a motorcycle/scooter for daily commuting. Another story could be about getting licensed and the various training classes for riders.

Basically teach drivers how to start seeing bikes, think like bike riders and just be more aware that we are out there. There are so many ways a car driver hasn't even realized they are endangering their two-wheeled neighbors on the road and they would maybe be more aware if someone just took the time to show them. Maybe a bit less vividly, but you could illustrate situations such as depicted in this British cycle safety commercial:

http://ruiner.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/howclose.mpg

The safety you would be promoting would aid in bicycle safety as well, which has been just as much of an issue in recent days.

Chris Bell
Austin, TX

Ron Oliveira with KEYE is a motorcyclist. I've emailed him asking for assistance in doing a PSA or article on KEYE.

Mike Mendoza with KVUE since his name came up on the forum. Emailed him a similar message. bhouston from this site will also contact Mike.

I sent Mike C of TWT, since he responded to the thread concerning Officer Erskine's accident.

Roger Wade, PIO with TCSO asking if they are planning anything, or willing to do a spot on this topic. I also asked if he could assist in contacting media, since that's a major portion of his job.

And the response from Clif Burdette of DPS posted earlier.

I'm not even sure how far in advance this has to be done. When KXAN did a quick blip on bicycling, they contacted our riding group asking if riders could meet for some video. It was very short notice which makes me think these things turn pretty quickly.

Sent to the EMS PIO:

Warren, here is a cause near and dear to my heart. In light of several recent bicycle and motorcycle fatalities in the Central Texas area in the last few days, I was wondering if you could work your magic to get this into the public’s eye. With the ROT rally at the end of May, the timing couldn’t be better.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/06Proclamation.pdf

Saftey Tip of the Day

Sounds just like the sound bite stuff the caging public needs. That would be 31 bites.
Competing TV stations. HMmmmm.
They have video of the day, stupid things people do segmant, how about some truly useful information.

whoa said:
Anybody with insight or experience have any thoughts on this? It's new to me.
Our association is involved in getting cities to issue proclamations for Safety and Awareness Month. The web site has some documents you can use to get the ball rolling in your city. http://www.tmra.org/

Munson said:
Our association is involved in getting cities to issue proclamations for Safety and Awareness Month.

Thanks John. Your site is one of the first I found when searching for motorcycle and safety! I wrote Mark Day and he told me to contact the First VP, which I've yet to do.

Thanks for replying.
David

I submitted my press release this AM. We'll see if anyone puts it in the paper or on the news. As soon as it is on our website I will post a link.

One rule that has served me for many years...

Pay attention to the cars, if there is even the slightest chance for them to do something stupid, assume that they will (you'll be right 75% of the time)

I posted an email to Fred Cantu at KEYE this morning. Also asked if they are planning any special coverage of ROT to try and tie in with that.

But mostly over the recent number of serious and fatal motorcycle and bicycle accidents around Austin. And with weather/gas prices, the increase in new riders on the road mixed with oblivious cagers.

Seems like a worthwhile story to me, but I'm odd that way. It lacks scandal or sex appeal so it may go nowhere. We'll see.

We have already done one short story on saftey and one of our reporters is going to go through the beginners course.

oldbmw said:
one of our reporters is going to go through the beginners course.

That's a cool idea. Keep us posted on how that goes.

10-95 said:
I submitted my press release this AM. We'll see if anyone puts it in the paper or on the news. As soon as it is on our website I will post a link.

Check out our press release page. And today one of my guys got in a minor collision. Anyone guess the contributing factor?????

Bryan PD Press Release

Back