• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Need to Consider SPOT Device Alternative Before I Renew

I know this sounds like overkill for many of you but this is going to save me some money in the end.

My wife, a loving and caring woman, has been on me to get a satellite phone for these over the border trips. I think they're expensive to buy and use and a complete overkill so I got the SPOT and have been pushing back. But now I think this 2-way satellite texting device will be the perfect compromise.

Plus, to TP's point, if you end up using the SOS function having two way communication would be huge. Consider if the break in my leg during the 2016 MexTrek trip had been more severe. I could text the responders that all I need is a lift and no helicopter was necessary. That would save big resources and money. Also, laying there on the ground as it was getting dark it'd be nice to know that someone got the signal and things were happening instead waiting around for hours to find out.

If there's one thing that really gets to me it's companies with elaborate websites that allow you to subscribe to all kinds of services and features but that don't provide a means to unsubscribe. Always a bit sleazy IMHO.

In this case I'm talking about SPOT. They would've renewed my subscription on 2/8/18 automatically. I went online to cancel it but couldn't see a way to do it. I even tried erasing my credit card info but that wasn't available. So I tried to change the expiration date but they sent a $1 authorization to the card to confirm which came back invalid. A lot of thought there on their part.

I search and searched for a way to cancel and finally did a search on FAQ which states you must call their customer service number to cancel. So begrudgingly I did. Eventually press #5 for deactivation and then get put on hold with a constant message apologizing for the heavy call volumes and long wait times....... :angryfire

So I wait and listen to the message over and over again and finally get through. Pleasant enough but immediately offered to hold my rate and give me a $65 credit on my account, effectively making $110 for the year. Obviously declined and all was handled but they really should provide a better service.

Rant off.

Plus, to TP's point, if you end up using the SOS function having two way communication would be huge. Consider if the break in my leg during the 2016 MexTrek trip had been more severe. I could text the responders that all I need is a lift and no helicopter was necessary. That would save big resources and money. Also, laying there on the ground as it was getting dark it'd be nice to know that someone got the signal and things were happening instead waiting around for hours to find out.

This

When it comes to getting your **** out of a critical jam any hand wrenching over money spent on the best emergency tool is going to be forgotten.

Like a parachute. Not cheap and you'll probably never have to eject or jump out of a crashing plane (hobby jumping for fun not included here), you'll be glad you had the best available at the time you needed it most.

Just so I make your heads explode with bigger fireworks, I also have MedJet on top of all of this, and that's a couple of hundred or so which I've paid out for more than 10 years each. Do I regret spending a couple grand on a service I've never used?

You can probable deduce the answer.

If you've got any more questions, send me a PM.

Last edited:
...When it comes to getting your **** out of a critical jam any hand wrenching over money spent on the best emergency tool is going to be forgotten...

You should have a satellite phone then as that is clearly the best tool correct? Everybody has different needs, budgets, use and expectations. Just pointing out there is no one perfect solution, same as there is not one perfect bike.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

You should have a satellite phone then as that is clearly the best tool correct? Everybody has different needs, budgets, use and expectations. Just pointing out there is no one perfect solution, same as there is not one perfect bike.

Everyone will make personal decisions on risk vs cost vs budget vs 'I just freakin want it'. I'm cool with it all. Mad props to those guys who get on a 20 year bike and ride across the world without a plan and make it work.

Now that ain't me for sure. I'm a planner and enjoy the process. That's why I started and enjoyed this whole thread in the first place.

Everyone will make personal decisions on risk vs cost vs budget vs 'I just freakin want it'. I'm cool with it all. Mad props to those guys who get on a 20 year bike and ride across the world without a plan and make it work.

Now that ain't me for sure. I'm a planner and enjoy the process. That's why I started and enjoyed this whole thread in the first place.

I fully agree and that is the point I'm trying to make. A basic tracker still is a good tool for those that deem it sufficient and/or don't have the budget for more. You researched and made the educated decision for you, TP made his decision and I made mine. There is no right or wrong here just good, better and best. I'll take good over nothing everyday.

Incorrect

I don't see how a satellite tracker with emergency response and texting is better than a satellite phone tracker with emergency response, texting and voice calling. Is pressing a single SOS button versus dialing 911 even a factor? What if serious life threatening injuries and air evac is still an hour away. I would much rather having a doctor talking someone though emergency triage than attempting the same via texting.

To respond properly, pls clarify the make/model of this device and who provides the emergency response plan tied to it

Spot Global phone, just happened to see it when I checked current plan rates. Appears to give the same emergency response as the SOS button does.

9-1-1 Emergency Response

In the event of a life threatening or other critical emergency, simply dial 9-1-1. The call is routed directly to GEOS International Emergency Response Center. GEOS notifies the appropriate emergency responders to your situation. Responders may include local police, highway patrol, the Coast Guard, your country's embassy or consulate, other emergency response centers, or search and rescue teams. Click here to learn more about the 911 Emergency Response feature of your SPOT Global Phone.

I've seen that, but haven't studied it all the way.

Doing a practice load out for Guatemala, so may be tomorrow before I type what I think

If anyone is interested I have a Delorme inreach se. I want to sell, it's active now, I would need to deactivate if sold and you start your own plan. How about 65.00?

Thanks

I'm letting my SPOT subscription lapse this year. The word I heard was they are renewing at over 300 dollars now unless you call and demand a lower price. I almost dropped them last year due to cost but had a trip planned so kept them. No more.

I'll sell off my Gen 1 and Gen 3 devices to fund an InReach. My best friend just bought one for hiking and camping and his description of the way the subscription works sounds way better as well.

A phone call only once a year to save a hundred dollars or more is okay by me. I don't let Spot auto renew and auto bill so I control it. Other alternative GPS trackers have a high purchase price and much higher annual costs. I use mine every month so the selective month billing doesn't save for me. $100 a year happy Spot customer here for as long as they'll have me. On my 3rd year of annual discounts.

_

I'll sell off my Gen 1 and Gen 3 devices to fund an InReach. My best friend just bought one for hiking and camping and his description of the way the subscription works sounds way better as well.

Smart move.

i-3bNjctb.png

Use the associated Garmin Earthmate app (above) to seamlessly and quickly compose text messages using your existing contacts list on your smartphone.

Just got back from Guatemala and used the InReach all day every day as a bread crumb tracker and as a two-way messaging device for friends and family.

You can go half way with a SPOT tracker or leverage the best technology available ... Ladies and Gentlemen, the Garmin inReach! {applause}

(posted to cause the expected head explosion :lol2:)

+10 on InReach w/ Earthmate. Was happy to carry the spot to so many off the grid places I can't even remember them all, but the thought of people back home freaking out because I couldn't tell them it was a minor emergency or someone else's emergency kept me from hitting the button a couple times. Regardless of the device though, I wish everyone I travelled with had at least something. I gave away my Gen2 Spot after I got my InReach for that reason.

... Regardless of the device though, I wish everyone I travelled with had at least something. I gave away my Gen2 Spot after I got my InReach for that reason.

^ This!

I see much upselling for the Garmin/DeLorme in this and other threads, but fact is 80% of people (or more) ride with nothing. Biggest reason being cost. Going "halfway" still gives a decent safety factor without breaking the bank. Start with something then upgrade later when you can or if you want to.

_

Spot Global phone, just happened to see it when I checked current plan rates. Appears to give the same emergency response as the SOS button does.

The SPOT phone is just that, a satellite phone. It's not a tracker. Rates start at $65 a month and 65 cents for each of the first 100 minutes and then 99 cents for each minute after that.

On top of that you have annual "network maintenance" fees of $150 - $180.

It has INBOUND texting but nothing outgoing.

Compared to that, the InReach is far and away the better choice.

For emergency response, both SPOT and InReach use the GEOS system to help recover you.

Interesting article on cost of ownership, SPOT vs inReach

LINK

And if a minority of the population seems intent to down rate the value of the best possible device to have when you actually need what you bought the darn thing for, that's up to them. It's your life, have at it.

When I flew in the Air Force we used to kid ourselves that our ejection seats were built by the lowest possible bidder :lol2:

Another good

LINK

And they seem to be endless

From that link, an excerpt:

"Cost: I’ve put an asterisk on this because the base cost of SPOT is cheaper. But it depends on how you use your device. SPOT Gen 3 retails for $150, and if you sign up with a subscription you can get it for $75. A subscription is $149.99 a year. This covers unlimited tracking. You can then get message bundles for $24.99 for 100 or $49.99 for 500. For a full list of prices and services click here. The Delorme Explorer is $379.95, and you can currently get $75 off. Subscription services start at $11.95/mo and up to $99.95 per month depending on if you go with an annual or monthly contract and how much messaging you need, all of them cover unlimited tracking and SOS services. For a full list of prices and plans click here. Delorme is more expensive, BUT, if you go with a monthly plan you can activate or deactivate whenever you want, and most of us only need to use our trackers at certain times of the year so the cost really depends on how you use it. Given everything I’ve mentioned above and given it’s your life on the line, to me cost shouldn’t really be a factor. It’s like going backcountry skiing these days without an avalanche airbag. Isn’t your life worth more than a few hundred bucks?"

I sure like my inReach. I have the yearly flexible plan. So I just pay when I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sure like my inReach. I have the yearly flexible plan. So I just pay when I need it.

Me as well. I iced my account when I got back from Guatemala a couple of weeks ago. Will restart the plan next venture. Basically I used the inReach approximately 4 months a year and ice the account the other 8.

I've been lazy about icing mine, so it probably costs me more than it needs to, but oh well, one less thing to do for that spur of the moment trip to Mexico. Going to try to actually learn everything about it before heading to BB next week.

Well, this is a timely thread. Sort of. I just activated a Spot 2 that was basically given to me. I have used the SPOT 1 for about 4 years and let it deactivate the last 2. I have an upcoming trip to Mexico so I decided to activate and pay the 170ish fee for SPOT.

After reading this thread, I really wish I had the inReach now and will definitely research before I pay another year on the SPOT.

Back