• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Lone Star Loop (2,180 DS loop)

Well that didn't go as planed. Woke up later than expected (I needed it though), took off around 12, got as far as Florsville and headed home by way of 35.

Apparently the last flood washed out a few low water crossings and the county did a bad job of replacing them. Talked to a farmer on the road and he said now every time it rains hard the road washes out.

After the 3rd low water crossing and bottoming out, I figured this was pushing it for the Kia. Great ride though, can't wait to take off and do it on the bike.

I did a bit of the Loop over the last weekend, from Bastrop to Camp Wood. I finally stopped at a very foreboding gate at Latitude: 29.6530437469 Longitude : -100.1029157639. It had a big sign saying private property, no trespassing, and security patrol. What's protocol?

Attachments

• LSL1.jpg
    LSL1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 334
  • LSL3.jpg
    LSL3.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 320
  • LSL4.jpg
    LSL4.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 325
  • LSL5.jpg
    LSL5.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 316
If it is still a public road going through then the sign just means to stay on the road and do not get off it. I have been through a couple of gates like that. But it can be hard to tell.

I did a bit of the Loop over the last weekend, from Bastrop to Camp Wood. I finally stopped at a very foreboding gate at Latitude: 29.6530437469 Longitude : -100.1029157639. It had a big sign saying private property, no trespassing, and security patrol. What's protocol?

Not sure about that particular gate, but I do know that some ranchers like to post those signs on public roads trying to scare people off of using them. The signs might be indicating that the land OFF the road is private. But sometimes ranchers will get the road abandoned by the county and it is a private road. Might try calling the county. The person responsible for road maintenance will be able to tell you. Maybe also the sheriff's office might as well.

When I look at Google maps, the road is unnamed. Makes me think its a private road.

According to TXDOTs County Grid Map Search, thats a public road, CR310. I rode it back in May. Close the gate behind you. :mrgreen:

https://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/_includes/countymapbook/Pages/221.pdf

https://www.dot.state.tx.us/apps-cg/grid_search/county_grid_search.htm

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/division/transportation-planning/maps/statewide-planning.html

I am planning to ride the loop from around Llano to Leakey this weekend. It will probably be a 2-3 day ride. I think this is probably the best section. Any interested in riding it with me? With a few water crossings I would like to ride with someone else or a small group so I can ride my bigger bike instead of the TW. I am off for the week so fairly flexible, but probably leaving Sunday. Could go tomorrow though.

I am planning to ride the loop from around Llano to Leakey this weekend. It will probably be a 2-3 day ride. I think this is probably the best section. Any interested in riding it with me? With a few water crossings I would like to ride with someone else or a small group so I can ride my bigger bike instead of the TW. I am off for the week so fairly flexible, but probably leaving Sunday. Could go tomorrow though.

This sounds like fun! I could join you Monday/ Tuesday/ Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm very interested in doing this before the weather starts back to being more disagreeable, as in hot. Getting a small group of like-minded riders together sounds like a plan.

I actually scrambled down here yesterday to ride with the SA/TARA guys. Currently sitting in Leakey and planning on riding to Llano tomorrow. If anyone wants to to meet up in the morning I can hold up. The weather looks like it will get dicey again by Tuesday though. May have to catch you guys next time.

Ride from Leakey to Llano today - finished up after riding the last hour and a half in the dark dodging deer every 100 yards! The ride was great, easily the best dirt I have found in Texas. About 200 miles of it today plus about 70 miles of paved road.

Where might I find the most current link to a track for this loop? I have an old one, but I'll bet it's been tweaked since I downloaded it.

Thanks!

I am still running the old one, still good for the sections I’m on. Out riding from Castell to San Saba today- beautiful! No dust and enough slip to make it interesting.
fe0642aecd5447105fa5ac8d927ce7ba.jpg

Hey y'all. Really like the loop that was made, and appreciate the time involved to make it. I don't know how to add to the existing track, or if I should, but have found two interesting roads for y'all to consider at least.

The first is up by Marshall, in the northeast corner.
Old Stagecoach Road. It could be called Harris Lake Rd now. It's pretty close to the track already made, and you can "drive" it in Google Earth. May just be a small adjustment to add it in as an option? It goes from just north of Marshall, almost to Karnack, turns into Rayburn Rd, and ends at 43, right on the current Loop.

The second is out around Fredericksburg and Mason. I may have read of it on here, or another bike site, but it was written about from a offroad truck site. Looks like a really good route with several creek crossings.
Here is a link to the site with a map, and can download the .kml file.
https://expeditionportal.com/overland-routes-the-texas-hill-country/

If I'm not supposed to link to other sites, I'll remove it.

Would like to ride some of this once it warms up and dries out. Anyone else planning any of this for the spring?

Hey y'all. Really like the loop that was made, and appreciate the time involved to make it. I don't know how to add to the existing track, or if I should, but have found two interesting roads for y'all to consider at least.

The first is up by Marshall, in the northeast corner.
Old Stagecoach Road. It could be called Harris Lake Rd now. It's pretty close to the track already made, and you can "drive" it in Google Earth. May just be a small adjustment to add it in as an option? It goes from just north of Marshall, almost to Karnack, turns into Rayburn Rd, and ends at 43, right on the current Loop.

The second is out around Fredericksburg and Mason. I may have read of it on here, or another bike site, but it was written about from a offroad truck site. Looks like a really good route with several creek crossings.
Here is a link to the site with a map, and can download the .kml file.
https://expeditionportal.com/overland-routes-the-texas-hill-country/

If I'm not supposed to link to other sites, I'll remove it.

Would like to ride some of this once it warms up and dries out. Anyone else planning any of this for the spring?

Yes Sir..

Back