• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

A little more leg room

Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Brown
I am 6' 2" tall, and even though my knees fit within the cutout's on the sides of the gas tank, I felt I would like to have a little less bend in my legs. I had tried raising the seat up, but it made my knees barely fit within the cutouts on the sides of the gas tank, and I did not like how much higher on the bike I sat.

So I discovered that you can rotate the footpeg mounts (items 6-7) in the picture around 180 degrees, which lowers the foot pegs 1 1/2", while also moving them forward about 3/4", and this has made a big improvement for me as in my riding position and comfort, as the top of my thighs were almost parallel to the ground when I was sitting on the bike, and now their at about a 10 degrees angle down.

I went out riding in some twisties yesterday and a pretty good clip, and the pegs did not touch, but I am going to take it out today on some tighter corners and see what happens, but so far so good, and as of right now, I won't be changing it back.

When you rotate the peg mount, you will also have to remove the pivot pin (item 11) for the foot peg, and rotate the foot peg back around 180 degrees also, so the the rubber is back on top.

f775de63f0e9bedab28f520d58070c190_large.jpg

Scott,

That is a great way to get additional leg room. I also raised the seat for the very same reason.
I wonder if you could post a picture of the pegs on both sides after this Mod?

:rider:

Scott,

That is a great way to get additional leg room. I also raised the seat for the very same reason.
I wonder if you could post a picture of the pegs on both sides after this Mod?

:rider:

I'll take a few photos tomorrow and post them up.

Slick! Is there enough adjustment in the shifter and brake to make up for this change?

Slick! Is there enough adjustment in the shifter and brake to make up for this change?

Bones,

As a matter of fact I did adjust both my shifter and brake levers, and that along with the lowering of the foot pegs has made it just about perfect for me now over what it was before.

For the brake lever, I adjusted the pedal all the way down until the end of the plunger rod was almost hitting the top of the brake lever, now my foot sits comfortably over the brake lever, without my foot touching it, and is easily actuated, and much better than the stock lever position was.

For the shift lever, I removed the plastic side cover to expose the shifter linkage, and I removed the pinch bolt on the splined shift arm, and rotated the lever clockwise one notch.

I then adjusted the shift linkage rod all the way in on both ends, now the top of my boot sits right below the shift lever, and its muchs easier for me to shift it now than as it came setup from the factory.

If you do decide to rotate the shift arm over one notch, you must adjust the shift linkage rod all the way into both ends, for if you don't, you run the risk of the shift lever hitting the mounting bracket, which could limit the shift lever travel, and cause the trans to not upshift properly.

As it is, with the arm rotated one notch, and the shift linkage rod adjusted all the way in, the front of the shift lever barely clears the the mounting bracket on upshifts, but it does clear, and thats all that matters.

I just took it for a ride up and down the street, and it is truly a pleasure to ride now with the lowered pegs, and readjusted shift and brake, and It also feels as if it shift more easily into first gear now. :rider:

612d1045e1d72643e4eca9ecb9d493220_large.jpg

47c29840fdc0d5bf04863bf649dfd00a0_large.jpg

Well - here ya go. They are now flipped. The shifter side took less than 5 minutes. The brake side took 30+ minutes. Reason being was that the bolt on the brake side was cross threaded by the gorillas at Suzuki so getting it out was tough and thus getting it back in was tougher - until I re-tapped and threaded and cleaned it all up. The brake side is also under some pressure in alignment as the pedal is somewhat spring-loaded so it takes a second to align. Another hand would have been handy.

Impressions:

Left Leg - The shifter side felt strange as the peg is now closer to the shifter thus the angle from the top of peg to bottom side of shifter for upshifting is more severe due to the reduced distance - see photo. I need to look at the shifter linkage and think for a moment about raising the shifter without mucking with the shift geometry. There is a turnbuckle of sorts in there (#2 in top photo) that appears to give fine adjustment - I think I need to work with that adjustment later.....

Shifter.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

DSC01263.jpg

Right Leg - The brake side is great.

DSC01262.jpg

DSC01264.jpg

Knees on the tank - MUCH improved. My legs were at the point of just toying with the tank cut outs. Now it fits like a glove.

Phil

...............cured.

I adjusted the brake plunger rod as Scott said almost all the way to the pedal lever - fits great. I then went one tooth clockwise on the shifter pinch bolt/spline then adjusted the rod until it felt good. And, if I ever wanted to go back, I marked the spline/pinch bolt location and the rod ends were never taken loose so the adjustment is effectively still in sync.

Good mod Mr. ElBandito!! :thumb: :chug: :dude:

...............cured.

I adjusted the brake plunger rod as Scott said almost all the way to the pedal lever - fits great. I then went one tooth clockwise on the shifter pinch bolt/spline then adjusted the rod until it felt good. And, if I ever wanted to go back, I marked the spline/pinch bolt location and the rod ends were never taken loose so the adjustment is effectively still in sync.

Good mod Mr. ElBandito!! :thumb: :chug: :dude:

Phil,

Glad my mod worked out for you, and the best part about simple mods like this is, its doesn't cost anything, and I always enjoy being able to share things with fellow riders. :rider:

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Years.

Thanks for the sneeeeeeeeeekers comment. Those are my clean shoes - I was wearing my normal "bike riding and fixing" dirty ones at the time...much more comfy too. These shoes were for the classy photo-op only as well as to wear to Christmas Eve services and such ;-) .

Yes, I am 6'4" with a 34" inseam - so leg room options were a plus. I tried on a few bikes (919, FZ1, R1200R, and 250 Rebel (just kidding)) before I settled on the Bandit. The R1200R though was a great fit for the legs and body, just not the wallet!!!!:doh:

Lowering the pegs is a nice change.

Phil,

Glad my mod worked out for you, and the best part about simple mods like this is, its doesn't cost anything, and I always enjoy being able to share things with fellow riders. :rider:

Have a Merry Christmas and a happy New Years.

Yea - me too. I love it when mods don't cost anything except pulled muscles or bleeding knuckles. Although, doing this at a cloudy 32 degrees here in Ohio is somewhat less desireable than the doubled sunny 64 degree you are experiencing way out there.

Now on to the $30 "17 tooth sprocket mod" to give this beast a bit more bite.

Phil

Yea - me too. I love it when mods don't cost anything except pulled muscles or bleeding knuckles. Although, doing this at a cloudy 32 degrees here in Ohio is somewhat less desireable than the doubled sunny 64 degree you are experiencing way out there.

Now on to the $30 "17 tooth sprocket mod" to give this beast a bit more bite.

Phil

Let us know how the smaller counter shaft improves the off the line acceleration, as I know that Dale Walker says on his website, that it make the Bandit, wheelie fun. :rider:

Will do, but I need to order it first which happens when Dale comes back after the 1st sometime..........of course, pictures to follow.

Will do, but I need to order it first which happens when Dale comes back after the 1st sometime..........of course, pictures to follow.

If you moved the lever clockwise one notch, doesnt that move the toe lever down, I tried rotating it counter clockwise to raise the toe but the lever at the shaft hits the oil line, so i left it at stock and screwed the adjustment out a little to where i can get my toes under the shifter but its a pretty steep bend for my foot, Am i missing something here? Im not a smart man!

If you moved the lever clockwise one notch, doesnt that move the toe lever down, I tried rotating it counter clockwise to raise the toe but the lever at the shaft hits the oil line, so i left it at stock and screwed the adjustment out a little to where i can get my toes under the shifter but its a pretty steep bend for my foot, Am i missing something here? Im not a smart man!

NO-NO-NO, I got it backwards, It raises the toe lever but i cant get the kind of clearance shown at the top of this thread, The shaft lever will bump that oil line but i adjusted the rod out about 2 1/2 turns to get the toe up a little, I think there is still close to a 1/2 inch of thread in the tie rod ends, Does this make since? Thanks for any and all help. SZ.

i did the swap today, here are pics.

after much trial and error, i put the pegs back to normal.
the issue was my left foot not fitting, no matter how i adjusted the shift lever.

i returned the pegs back to stock. adjusting the shift lever as high as it would go, would not allow my foot to fit. proper angle was much lower, still my foot did not fit. i dont have large feet. pegs felt good, being lower, issue was not enough room between lever and peg.

He made them. He is a master metal fabricator designer milling billet kinda guy......so it would seem. There are several things on his bike made, modified, and/or polished. Very cool.

OK! ditto on the cool, I was just wondering if maybe they were like from --not being a smartelec--we used to pilfer those chrome caps from the urinals and put them on the brake pull knobs in peterbilts, I mean if you didnt know where they come from you would go wow, where,d you get em, Of course we would wash them first, Always looking for an easy chrome trick! By the way I was just looking at oneidasuzuki.com and they are advertising new 07 1250s for 6.999.00 I hate it when that happens.

i returned the pegs back to stock. adjusting the shift lever as high as it would go, would not allow my foot to fit. proper angle was much lower, still my foot did not fit. i dont have large feet. pegs felt good, being lower, issue was not enough room between lever and peg.

I may want to put mine back too, Its just too steep of an angle to stab my foot down in there to up shift but the extra leg room is so nice. shame!

Back