• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ducati ST3s vs Tesla S

Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Miller
After watching 60 minutes tonight and seeing a segment about the Tesla electric car, I wanted to share an encounter I had.

I was riding my bike home early this week and I pulled in behind a Tesla S. Couldn't help but admire how good looking the car was and noticed no tailpipe. A small thing but it is definitely different.

The light changed and as we accelerated I changed lanes and started to pass the car so that I could see it from the side. The Tesla driver would have nothing of it and stomped it. Pretty cool to see the car accelerate hard and completely silent.

I didn't take the bait and make a run at him, but even if I had I don't know if I could have passed him. That car really accelerates.

I watch Container Wars and one group just had a Tesla in one of the containers they bought. They had a news story on last night about Tesla trying to have a factory in TX with Panasonic doing the batteries. A law about only buying new cars from a dealer is the drawback they are trying to overcome.

They are cool cars

I watch Container Wars and one group just had a Tesla in one of the containers they bought. They had a news story on last night about Tesla trying to have a factory in TX with Panasonic doing the batteries. A law about only buying new cars from a dealer is the drawback they are trying to overcome.

They are cool cars

Yup. NJ just passed a similar law.

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

After watching 60 minutes tonight and seeing a segment about the Tesla electric car, I wanted to share an encounter I had.

I was riding my bike home early this week and I pulled in behind a Tesla S. Couldn't help but admire how good looking the car was and noticed no tailpipe. A small thing but it is definitely different.

The light changed and as we accelerated I changed lanes and started to pass the car so that I could see it from the side. The Tesla driver would have nothing of it and stomped it. Pretty cool to see the car accelerate hard and completely silent.

I didn't take the bait and make a run at him, but even if I had I don't know if I could have passed him. That car really accelerates.

The acceleration varies depending on which size battery pack the Tesla has and whether it has one (standard) or two (optional) power converters. That said, they range from fast to extremely fast. Maybe 6 seconds 0-60 for the slowest model, and about 4.0 seconds for the 85 kilowatt/dual converter model.

They are cool cars

To be fair, every state has franchise laws to protect their auto dealers, and said laws have been in place for decades. There is nothing unique about Texas, and nothing new about the law in NJ. Of course, said laws are meant to protect existing local businesses from direct selling competition from the manufacturer. Since there is no such thing as a local Tesla dealer, there isn't any local business to protect...

In a race to change the battery, the Tesla will win every time.:lol2: This

Tesla Battery Swap

I was never much of a fan of electric motorcycles or cars, preferring diesel as a more practical green solution. A recent TED talk with Elon Musk and the battery swap demonstration above are slowly changing that opinion. I first read about replacing complete automotive battery packs in American Scientist several years ago. Good to see the idea is getting some traction. Tesla is setting up charging stations in Texas now.

To be fair, every state has franchise laws to protect their auto dealers, and said laws have been in place for decades. There is nothing unique about Texas, and nothing new about the law in NJ. Of course, said laws are meant to protect existing local businesses from direct selling competition from the manufacturer. Since there is no such thing as a local Tesla dealer, there isn't any local business to protect...

Well Despite Tesla having no dealers in TX, they are still having to abide by the law. I think Perry weighed in and said the law was outdated. I guess Tesla could open their own dealership here in TX and skirt the law to sell cars here. Don't know what they are gonna do but I imagine something will be done in the next month or two.

In a race to change the battery, the Tesla will win every time.:lol2: This

Tesla Battery Swap

I was never much of a fan of electric motorcycles or cars, preferring diesel as a more practical green solution. A recent TED talk with Elon Musk and the battery swap demonstration above are slowly changing that opinion. I first read about replacing complete automotive battery packs in American Scientist several years ago. Good to see the idea is getting some traction. Tesla is setting up charging stations in Texas now.

That's the kind of tech that will bring electric cars to the mainstream. Keeps the convenience factor.

Sent from my handheld universal data mining enabler

Back