• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

April 2014 pie run reports

Reaction score
First Name
Leon
Last Name
Hogan
For the handful of folks who came, post your ride reports here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Hope more'n a handful made it. I exhausted myself before ever loading my bike up. Staying close to the home all weekend,

Rather small turn out for the weather being so awesome! The SA crew met up and had a good ride out. Met some great folks and hope to be making some friends soon. Thanks Neal for leading us on some good roads to get to Medina. Enjoyed talking with a lot of folks and seeing some really fine machinery show up, especially those guys who showed up on all the Vincent motorcycles. Hope everyone made it home safely.

Yeah, the SA crew/ride was a good one. Thanks Jay for suggesting the meetup and thanks Neal for leading the way. I had a great time!

Looks like 20-25 showed up. Quite a bit fewer than last time we were here, but we had a good visit.

Was a blast 1st of many,afterwords me and the wife rode out to Leaky, tons of bikes.Thanks Jay,it was great meeting everyone ,lets not be strangers.

Jay, Joe, Mike & Julie, Dave (is that everyone? I'm old, I forget easy). I had a great time and glad you enjoyed the roads on the way up.
Enjoyed meeting you and chatting for a while with you and some others.
Oh.. and Bill, who I have known for years and rode with many times.

Then, it was time for me to ride and enjoy some back roads and scenery.
2014%5C04%5C27%5Cbikepics-2663500-800.jpg

2014%5C04%5C27%5Cbikepics-2663499-800.jpg

Ride Safe, Ride Often,
Neal

pretty sad turn out, I guess folks don't like to have fun and actually ride motorcycles for fun like they used to.

those of us who do, did have fun. the doom and gloom and misty stuff quickly burned off and traffic in the hills was actually pretty light.

I got a few pictures.
null_zps8ae76c3f.jpg

Chili the chick magnet! we started out with three Urals but one expired as soon as she got onto 16
null_zpsa401de5a.jpg

null_zpsf5622403.jpg

this is when the Vincent HRD gang showed up and upstaged the Urals
this is a 1936 HRD-Vincent
null_zps66a86b33.jpg

null_zpsfc439f1f.jpg

Ferrari red before Ferrari was red!
null_zps5d6bf45e.jpg

null_zpse317f073.jpg

null_zps93165132.jpg

null_zps509cc2ec.jpg

null_zps2617bfd7.jpg

null_zps32024a44.jpg

light weight racer!
null_zps767abdf6.jpg

Thomas(M) and I had a really pleasant Saturday putting in just shy of the 500 mile mark getting to and from the pie run in Medina. It was fun meeting the regulars and we were surprised to see several antique Vincent motorcycles neatly parked in front of restaurant when we arrived as an added bonus.

After lunch, we followed a herd of Two Wheeled Texans to Leakey, where we refueled and then headed out on the Three Sister route. Like sirens, the Three Sisters nestled in the Texas Hill Country hypnotically beckon riders from across the Nation to bask in their beauty and partake of their generous curves. Known as Ranch-to-Market Roads (RM) 335, 336, and 337, the “Sisters” have been around for over 65 years. Born in 1945 as part of the post-war road expansion effort to aid Texas’ agricultural interests, the Sisters have aged well.

We ended a terrific riding day by zooming up to Cooper’s BBQ in Llano via Highway 16 for our monthly dose of Texas cooking goodness just before returning home as the sun was starting to set on the horizon.

Till next time and thanks Leon again for putting up a great RTE!

:rider:

RB

Now that was fun!
Despite the threat of storms, weather was perfect for the most part. Got down early enough on Friday to check out the Sisters and the area. Not much traffic in the twisties until late in the day. Good campsite in the park and the weather continued to cooperate. Wish I could remember everyone's name that made the pie run but I was too preoccupied stuffing my pie hole and drooling over the Vincents dripping 50w out front. Found out riding the Sisters in the opposite direction from the day before provided a whole different experience. With just a couple of exceptions, traffic was moving right along... even the Urals were causing a breeze. Hope Zepher is able to post the picture he took of Swoody and CHILI zooming by. Think it helped that they were going downhill and had Focus Frenzy running rear guard.

In Camp Wood we joined up with a larger group of TWT campers and headed East up 337. This part was pretty much a blur as I didn't dare take my eyes off the road ahead. Following Shovel and Clingon on their Harley, I was totally impressed and humbled at how effortlessly that big bike sped through those roads. Rounding off the tires on a crotch rocket is one thing, but two up on a Harley?

Saturday night's weather was another good one for camping. Concerns around the campfire about storms that night were put to rest with the passing of an unlabeled flask rumored to contain Arkansas Nectar of the Gods. Not sure what was in it, but made me want to visit Arkansas real soon. Still tired from the previous day's festivities, I had to pull the plug on the air mattress to get myself moving Sunday morning. Heading West out of town on 39, first stop (of several) was at Texas's Stonehenge. Hwy. 39 is scenic route following the Guadalupe River and a nice change of pace from the tight turns and blind hills of the two previous days. On the way up to Junction passed one of the Vincents we saw in Medina. She was strapped down to a trailer but deserved a rest after running the Sisters.

My thanks go out to those of you who put this Pie Run and camp out together. Met a lot of good people and got the chance to ride some of the best roads there are. Would not have missed it for the world. Still trying to figure out how I put 1,240 miles on the bike riding around in circles for three days.

Crap I missed another one thanks to work. I doesn't look good till they hire somebody else. Surprised at the low turn out. One of the premier areas to ride in all of Texas. Our last M@G@E was small but only because of terrible rains. We had ten but I was happy to have them due to the downpours. Terrible to miss the Vincents,you rarely see so many together except in a museum. I can't stop looking at the Vincent pics! Great pictures thank you for sharing. Was at the last one and it was wonderful. KP

Had this one on my schedule early in the year, but sometimes life just gets in the way.

I love the cafe in Medina, but I love riding in Arizona more, so... :-P

Seriously, I don't think we ever get a big turnout out there simply because it is an overnight trip for many folks :shrug:

I love the cafe in Medina, but I love riding in Arizona more, so... :-P

Seriously, I don't think we ever get a big turnout out there simply because it is an overnight trip for many folks :shrug:

It's just a hop and skip from San Antonio or Austin, we had folks from the metroplex show up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Was playing in the surf at Port Aransas with my grand daughter. I too am up for Edom.

I can't see a Vincent without hearing that great Richard Thompson song in my head...

"Says James, in my opinion ain't nothing in this world,
beats a 52 Vincent and a red headed girl
Now Nortons and Indians and (something?) won't do
they don't have a soul like a vincent 52..."

Now I gotta go look up that song...

Yes, I missed a great weekend. BUT i am now headquartered in Kerrville. So, I am looking forward to meeting up with TWTers from near and far and exploring this great part of Texas.

I can't see a Vincent without hearing that great Richard Thompson song in my head...

Now I gotta go look up that song....

greeves is the other model.

here is the link to the lyrics and the video.: http://letras.com/richard-thompson/578631/

Should've been there instead of being knocked off my bicycle by a dog. Back is now jacked and Edom is in doubt. :(

Now I gotta go look up that song...

Yes, I missed a great weekend. BUT i am now headquartered in Kerrville. So, I am looking forward to meeting up with TWTers from near and far and exploring this great part of Texas.

I like this version by Del McCoury...take a listen here:

http://pages.suddenlink.net/kellenbenz/VBL.mp3

Ron

Kellenbenz, thanks I enjoyed that Appalachian version of the song.

Leon, thanks for posting those Vincent pix.

Back