• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

M38A1 / 2016 Pic-A-Day

05/18/2016
"Untitled"
D4s w/105mm f/2.8
Mode: Manual
ISO1250
105mm
f/32
1/180th sec
SB700 w/24x36 softbox, Cactus triggers, foamcore

The little peach tree is deciding it's time to drop some fruit. With that, I thought it would be interesting to try and photograph some fruit in a bowl, much like all beginner painters try to paint fruit in a bowl as an exercise. Here's my photographic attempt at such a painters assignment. Black construction paper (for it's variable textures) for the base, peaches in a white bowl, softbox camera right almost on top of the bowl/fruit, and a white foamcore board just under the camera lens to the edge of the black construction paper for a bit of front fill.
i-WD8vS85-XL.jpg

05/19/2016
"Storm Clouds"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
Mode: Aperture Priority
ISO1250
55mm
f/6.7
1/180th sec

Rusty, his wife Veronica and their daughter Katie and I all had a wonderful dinner this evening then wandered over to the Austin Steam Train yard in hopes of finding a cool shot for today. As the yard was locked up, the choices were slim for a shot, yet the contrast of the RR sign against the cloud background seemed appealing to me. This is a handheld three shot bracket at EV-2 / even / EV+2, then imported into Photomatix Pro5, tinkered with a bit, exported to LR, eliminated a few dust spots then exported.
i-qC7jnGk-XL.jpg

05/20/2016
"Past Their Prime"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
Mode: Shutter Priority
ISO1250
70mm
f/22
1/350th sec

The old silos in Johnson City at the West end of town traffic light have always intrigued me, so today I ran by to capture them. Cropped in LR, then brought into Nik's Silver Efex for a B&W conversion. (I think the Nik product does a better job than LR so I use it for conversions)
i-LVpVwgN-XL.jpg

05/21/2016
"Street Dance"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
ISO800
62mm
f/4.8
1/180th sec

A little street dance for a lyme disease patient fund raiser was in D'Hanis this evening. The band was playing and this little gal walked up to the base player and motioned a few times up and down with her hand. He gave her a pick and she strummed it a few times. Kind of cute to have seen it in person.
i-FWsb9qs-XL.jpg

05/22/2016
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
Mode: Shutter Priority
ISO400
38mm
f/4.7
1/1000th sec

An interesting older saddle currently used as art at a local burger establishment (ChuckWagon in Medina, Tx), this saddle originates back to at least 1956 as the winning saddle for the Championship Calf Roping skills.
i-3JZs6JF-XL.jpg

Last edited:
05/23/2016
"Orb"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
ISO100
27mm
f/6.7
1/180th sec
SB700 w/Cactus triggers

Curious about shadows and light shaping with shadows, I took this orb and hand held my speedlight on top in the center. The resulting light entered the orb, then exited the round holes and illuminated the blue cloth in a cool pattern. Took a few shots to get it like this. Next time I might try a blue or red gel on the speedlight and see what happens.
i-DVSDn33-XL.jpg

The orb shot is very cool :clap:

Did you try any shots with the light off to one side or at any angles between top and side?

05/24/2016
"Railroad Vine"
D4s w/10-20mm f/4.0-5.6
ISO100
13mm
f/11
1/250th sec
SB700 w/6"x8" softbox, Cactus triggers

I decided I'd try this flower shooting thing. Hand-held the speedlight/softbox combo directly overhead and to the leading edge of the lens.
i-qFG4Gq2-XL.jpg

05/25/2016
"Untitled"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
ISO100
70mm
f/11
1/250th sec
SB700 w/6"x8" softbox, Cactus triggers, white foamcore

Another lighting experiment today, this time with trying to get a graduated transition between a background and foreground. This example was done by handheld speedlight above and behind the flower, and a white foamcore reflector in front of the flower just under the lens. With the right power setting, the flower was illuminated, the foreground was white and the light fell off nicely to the background.
i-V5SsQ83-XL.jpg

I really like that. However, I might be cool to see it without any kind of glass or vase, just the long stem maybe. Imagine it being cropped about where the water line is in the glass, but not glass or water. I really like how the flower itself sits at the transition.

In my best Slim Pickens voice "What in carnation are you trying to do?" I'm the flower guy around here. :rofl: :duck:

Looks good. Very well lit.

05/26/2016
"Bicycle Racer"
D4s w/70-200mm f/2.8
ISO2000
200mm
f/4.8
1/500th sec

The Driveway bicycle races again this evening and I chose this one from the group. Plenty of rain shots, but I tried to setup in a corner and somewhat lower to get this angle/perspective. Down in a heavily wooded area and setting sun under heavy rain clouds, I had to bump the ISO up kind of high to keep a high shutter speed. I've settled on 1/500th as being good enough to freeze motion but blur spokes. The resulting aperture wound up at 4.8 which is where I wanted to be for a shallow DOF in order to isolate the subject from the background.
i-Nfxjg5D-XL.jpg

Nice!

Do you offer these shots for sale to the riders? If I were into riding, that would be a shot I might have printed and hung on a wall :thumb:

05/27/2016
"Broken Home"
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
ISO100
70mm
f/4.8
1/350th sec

Using the sun as the backlight on a broken spiderweb, I captured this home in disrepair.
i-JhT8Dcx-XL.jpg

05/28/2016
"Fair enough..."
D4s w/24-70mm f/2.8
ISO500
28mm
f/8
1/180th sec

I saw this a few months ago and chuckled. So much so, that I had to stop and make it my Pic-A-Day shot. The US flag was a nice touch on the eve of this Memorial Day. Quite foggy/misty when the shot was captured adding to the mystery of follow-through.
i-9RTbTfF-XL.jpg

05/29/2016
"Deep Cleaning"
iPhone snap

I finally wrestled the carb out of the DR350SE today and Rusty was kind enough to walk me through a disassembly and deep cleaning. Here's the little Mikuni pumper coming apart.
i-tdKmB3R-XL.jpg

Back