• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Aquismon (Cave of Swallows)

Reaction score
First Name
Zeke
Last Name
Mtz
Anyone interested in riding all paved BIG bikes April 6th - 9th to the Aquismon area specifically to the cave of swallows ??

The dates are set. We have 3 riders goin so far.

Last edited:
Be there before the first crack of dawn, those birdies wake up early...

They're running a special for the next few months:

They will lower you by solo tethered line to the bottom of the cave (1,175 feet to the bottom) for free. FREE!!!!!

You are then able to explore the cave bottom area for about 1/2 hour!!!!!

They will then lower a GMRS radio to you via a string.

You will then commence to negotiate via the radio the fee for them to pull you back up.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUpJlU_aHvA"]El Sótano de las Golondrinas - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DsklxfWuO-Y"]Cueva de Las Golondrinas BBC - YouTube[/ame]

By the way. Rappelling down to the bottom of the Cave of Swallows can be arranged. It is 1092 feet deep.
It runs about 5,000 Pesos ($250 USD) per person and can be arranged through Mr. Edmundo Cortez:

http://www.mundoextreme.com.mx/

Best way to reach him is by calling the phone number on the website directly or using it in Whatsapp.

I know this because I just got off the phone with him trying to arrange this adventure for Patrick and I during our upcoming trip.
However, the rappelling is not allowed during certain times of the year, breeding season etc., and these are the months of April, May and June. Also if the day is very cold and the swallows don't fly out the activity can't be done.

It's been 30 years since I was there, but it is a jaw dropping experience.
Takes about 45 minutes to ascend from the bottom using caving gear.

Thanks for the advice and info guys, i cant wait to see it hopefully someday soon, any other suggested sites of interest nearby to visit besides Xilitla ?

Thanks for the advice and info guys, i cant wait to see it hopefully someday soon, any other suggested sites of interest nearby to visit besides Xilitla ?

there is another large pit on the same road to Golondrinas called Hoya de Guaguas. Has a swallow flight every morning that is more impressive than Golondrinas.
Only problem is it's a 30 minute hike back in the jungle from a small village.
We had to hire a local guide to take us
Ask for directions at the office in Aquismon where you used to get permits for the caves.

Last edited:
However, the rappelling is not allowed during certain times of the year, breeding season etc., and these are the months of April, May and June. Also if the day is very cold and the swallows don't fly out the activity can't be done.

So there is no repelling down in april ?

Not according to the one guy who guides the rappels. He is offering to take us instead down in to the Sotano de Cepillos which is according to him unknown, no one ever goes, is almost as deep and has a cenote/lake at the bottom.

what place u recommend to stay there overnight ?

Hi Zeke, stay at the Hotel La Mansion on the right as you come into town from 85. Go to the other one, Hotel San Cosme on the square, only if La Mansion is full.

He is offering to take us instead down in to the Sotano de Cepillos which is according to him unknown, no one ever goes, is almost as deep and has a cenote/lake at the bottom.

Ohh ok so how much does that guide charge to that sotano de cepillos ? And you can repel down on to the lake ?

Back