• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

new Cycle World format..

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Received the new, quarterly format CW last night. Just gave it a look over, read a few articles, etc. Impressions are they are in survival mode and went towards quality over monthly quantity. That is fine, however the value, to me is questionable. Publishing is a very tough business. Many magazines and newspapers have folded due to the inter web content explosion. This forum is a classic example. Personally I still love a real newspaper, but magazines are pretty rare for me except a few that really appeal.

Anyway I see these positives to CW:
-- they are trying something new
--heavier paper format, very nice photos
-- retained some of their best writers
-- good continued format sections that are of broad interest.

Negatives:
-- quarterly publication really reduces scope
-- ultra-love affair with ultra-high end bikes continues
-- Does Ducati secretly own CW?? (mildly kidding, but)
-- very limited advertisers, reduced, but some
-- glad to see them ditch the tobacco advertisers.

Not sure if I will renew next time. I miss the monthly format. I do not keep magazines for long, they accumulate and are just more stuff. Books are a different thing, even then I frequently give away books or take to resellers.

Beautiful day here on Gulf Coast. Going for a two wheeled ride, but on bicycle to get some endorphins. Tomorrow one of the other two wheelers goes out.

Keep calm and carry on.

I let it go years ago... Haven't missed it at all, well... except maybe for Kevin Cameron's stuff. Other than that... nope.

Tnx for the CW review.
Might give it a go.
I always dreaded the monthly thing.
Way too much fluff just to fill the pages, imho.
Maybe now less will actually = more.

btw: indeed great day for a ride.
Too bad you’re all the way down in S.L.
Heading out tomorrow again, would’ve been great to show you some of
those endorphins building roads we have up here in N.W. Houston.

Cycle World was the entry level drug that got me into two wheelers all those years ago. My Mom thought I needed to read more and actually encouraged the habit, paying for the subscription:doh:

I don't like it. No articles I could really relate to, I can't afford the expensive bikes. Lots of wasted space, too many full page photos. Not enough tech stuff. I like a monthly mag, something to look forward to. And I just got a new script for 2 years not knowing this was the direction they were going, had I known no way. What mc mag do ya'll recommend that has a little of everything?

RDS,

Thanks for the offer, I am probably taking the Triumph out Thursday for a swan about, probably Brenham and back loop.

Yeah CW was a gateway drug for us growing up, more so was a visit to the Durango Honda-Yamaha shop, or perhaps the exotics down in Farmington, NM, (Kawasakis and Suzukis) or big city Albuquerque (add Triumph).

The new CW reminds me of the "gentlemen's" fly fishing magazines that were popular for a while. Lots of fancy thick paper, artwork and stories of exotic locations (New Zealand, Austria, Chile) few would ever afford. Gave up after a while. I tend to agree with texten-- miss the monthly arrival...dunno, we will see, it is a mixed bag...

Cycle Hews:thumbd: Rider :thumb: Love articles by Clement Salvadori and Jenny Smith

Last edited:
I'm still trying to figure out if I like the new Motorcyclist Magazine format. It has some great photography, lots of beautiful action & scenic pictures. But It doesn't seem to take me very long to get from one cover to the other.

Ride Texas has gone to the quarterly issue. Texas Monthly has taken over publishing it so it looks a whole lot like TM.

I get most of the magazines . The one I liked the most, Dirt Rider , just informed me that they are out of business. I'll miss it.

I don't like it. No articles I could really relate to, I can't afford the expensive bikes. Lots of wasted space, too many full page photos. Not enough tech stuff. I like a monthly mag, something to look forward to. And I just got a new script for 2 years not knowing this was the direction they were going, had I known no way. What mc mag do ya'll recommend that has a little of everything?

Agreed!

I’m not sure what their end game is here?
Do they think there are lots of high end magazines are being collected, coveted and displayed next to the brandy and Vincent black shadow in our high end leather sofa man caves? That’s not the majority of motorcycle riders out there.

I too would rather see more content more often. While taking a reading break sitting in my greasy lawn chair in the garage next to my old beer filled moto sticker covered refrigerator while wrenching on my affordable common mans bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been pretty impressed with https://adventuremotorcycle.com

Good articles and content but honestly like with TV nearly all of my pleasure reading and watching has been online for nearly 10 years now. We don't have cable or satellite TV, we only pay for what we want to watch and honestly it makes for a much smaller "cable" bill overall, and I try to do most of my reading via Kindle or electronically delivered "magazines". But having a paper mag in the hands is nice sometimes. :)

Back