• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Barber and North Carolina

Reaction score
We left on thursday the 20th and headed for Natchez! It was slow and warm but we all know a day in the saddle is always better than work. Friday we got an earley start and dodged the weather going into Birmingham. On the way for the Hotel to the track I got going a little hot!?!?!?!?. I was tired of all the gear and wanted to stretch it out a bit. I was lucky enough to meet the supervisor for all of Alabama"s Motor Patrol. What a great guy he followed us from the entrance ramp at 280 and 459 to I20 east and finally to the track entrance. He gave us a warning. He was a very nice guy and just was trying to keep squids like me from scaring the **** out of the locals. On with the trip we spent the next couple of days watching some excellent races. The weather for the races was perfect! We were able to catch up with Alabama's favorite son " Mr Buz Copeland " and his wonderful wife Pat. We had dinner with them and then on Monday Buz was good enough to skip work and lead us to the georgia state line. He took us on some great roads around the outside of Birmingham then north toward our destination. We zigged and zagged across north west Georgia and found some excellent roads to try out my brand new pilot powers. Wow is all I can say about the roads and the tires. I have been all over that country but not on a sport bike!!!! North Georgia 60 was my favorite road of the day. When we got to the end my tires were scuffed from side to side andI had a grin just as wide. We based out of the Franklin Motel!!! Clean, cheap and is in just the right spot!" Thanks Scott" Tuesday we headed out to slay the Dragon and the skyway etc. But wait what about 28 North from Franklin. Holy Bat stuff batman! On to the dragon and skyway. At lunch time my tires were scuffed up like a track day. I never felt like I was pushing to hard I was just looking for a speed so I could drift into the corners and then ease it on out and still enjoy full advantage of the lean angles the new tires afford. By tuesday evening I had used all of the front tire as well and new it was time to back off a little before I lost the front end. Wednesday it rained while we were going down the Blueridge near Cherokee. It was raining hard! The wind was howlling. I had Ritas rain suit! doa! The two things I really needed on the trip were home!!! I missed Rita and now I missed my rain suit. I had one of those $5.00 wind breakers in my tank bag. It helped but I still got wet. We headed back to the hotel to dry out a little and let the rain pass. I bought a cheap rain suit that day and never used it agian. That afternoon we headed south and east through south carolina and georgia. Moer excellent roads and a little more rain. The pilot powers stick quite well in the wet as well!!!! Thursday my rding partner and boss was ready to head back!!!" That stinks" I was in a groove and wanted to have another day to carve up the roads. The weather was looking bleak and so we agreed tohit a few roads in georgia before fining the four lane. Because I had the GPS and he didn't have a map I lead us in a very indirect route "350 miles of twisties" before arriving back in Alabama and the 4 lane. He got over it but then we road all the way to West Monroe,LA. It was some where in the neighborhood of a 700 mile day.
The two things I should have taken and would have If I could have are Rita and my rain suit. Rita is a great riding partner and never lets me get to crazy. The rain suit is your friend in a storm!!! My leathers got relly heavy. I am sure I have mentioned it but My new tires were first class in the dry and wet. There were kids there at deals gap talking about the ten min. club????? I am not sure how long my passes took and don't really care, I did have one heck of a time and next time will take Rita and spend some time exploring more of the area. I have very few pix it was difficult to stop!?!?!?!!?! I have pic of Rita and Josh hayes signing a picture for her. Rita and Susan flew up with Josh's Mom and Dad so we had a little in. All in all it was a great trip with periods of pure adrenaline rush and then there was the 4 lane!
Steve:clap:

Cruzintexas said:
There were kids there at deals gap talking about the ten min. club????? I am not sure how long my passes took and don't really care,

Good write up Steve, but throw some paragraph breaks in there every now and then to let those of us with "old eyes" read it a little easier. :giveup:

Yellow Wolf has done the run in 12:05 on his Wing so I can certainly see a talented sport bike rider getting it down into the 10's if the conditions are right - weather, traffic, leaves on the road, etc.

Glad you had a great time. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's envious. :drool:

28 north of Franklin is one of my faves, especially the lack of traffic when I've been on it. So many awesome roads there.

Texas T said:
Good write up Steve, but throw some paragraph breaks in there every now and then to let those of us with "old eyes" read it a little easier. :giveup:

Yellow Wolf has done the run in 12:05 on his Wing so I can certainly see a talented sport bike rider getting it down into the 10's if the conditions are right - weather, traffic, leaves on the road, etc.

Glad you had a great time. I'm sure I'm not the only one that's envious. :drool:
An English major I was not! And my secretary is off today!!hehe
Steve

Dyna Sport said:
28 north of Franklin is one of my faves, especially the lack of traffic when I've been on it. So many awesome roads there.
John I just wanted to say "do overs" on every road up there.
Steve

Ah yes 28 N out of franklin is also a nice stretch of road I too enjoy. I think I lost more of my pegs on that road than any other. Glad you enjoyed youself.

I'm so happy that I get to "do over" these roads most every weekend.

Soloman said:
...I'm so happy that I get to "do over" these roads most every weekend.
Rub it in, will ya. :-P ;-)

Sounds like you had fun, Steve! 8-)

scratch said:
Rub it in, will ya. :-P ;-)

You betcha, every chance I get. Even though I live here, most you back in TX get to ride much more than I do. I'm down to riding maybe 2-3 days in May, 6 days in June, and hopefully a few more in July.

Steve,
It was great to see ya'll. I hated to skip out on work; but I went home via Little River Canyon which might be the best road in Alabama. Now that you are back home, my jealousy has gone completely away. Maybe it's because I'll be up there next week; and you will still be back at work.:nana:

hcope1 said:
Steve,
It was great to see ya'll. I hated to skip out on work; but I went home via Little River Canyon which might be the best road in Alabama...
Buzz, are you referring to Hwy 176 through De Soto State Park? That looks interesting on the map.

Hey Steve,

Glad to hear you had at great time. :mrgreen: When we were in Franklin last fall, 28 was the first road we hit. By the time we came back down it was dark & I know I was creeping. That road was also where a truck crossed into my lane & scared the you know what out of me. :eek2: Fun road but heavily travelled.

Can't wait to see your pics. I'm sure you & Rita will tell us all about the races when we see you in person.

scratch said:
Buzz, are you referring to Hwy 176 through De Soto State Park? That looks interesting on the map.

That's the one. It's 12 miles of freshly paved asphalt twisties. All overlooking a 1/2 mile wide gorge with a raging river at the bottom. Also there is excellent riding from there into NW Georgia. We will be going through there next week on the way to Franklin, NC.:rider:

Steve,

Good to hear you had a safe and exciting ride! I'm sure you gave those Powers a good workout.:rider:

hcope1 said:
That's the one. It's 12 miles of freshly paved asphalt twisties. All overlooking a 1/2 mile wide gorge with a raging river at the bottom. Also there is excellent riding from there into NW Georgia. We will be going through there next week on the way to Franklin, NC.:rider:
One of these days, I'll have to get up there and check it out. Have fun! :thumb:

hcope1 said:

Hmm I'll have to jot that down for next time I ride out that way.

Back