• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 BAJA 1000 M/C LEADER PENALIZED

dannyboy

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Finch
At the finish it was the motorcycle team of Colton Udall, Mark Samuels, Ian Young and Justin Jones who crossed the line first, having shared riding duties on their No. 1x Ox Motorsports Honda CRF450X bike. But the apparent winners were penalized after what looked like a glitch on the GPS software that showed straight lines where the course curved over the terrain. Some of the straight lines appeared to go over the water, look at the screen grab above. So something was wrong. The Ox Motorpsorts team was assessed a 30-minute penalty, which moved it from first place to second.

As of now SCORE has said, “…apparent winner (Mark) Samuels was penalized after the race by SCORE race officials for a reckless incident at the finish line ramp.” We are awaiting more information on that from SCORE-International, sanctioning body of the race. A report in a Spanish-language Mexican media outlet said Ian Young, who rode the final 200-mile leg of the race for the team, did a wheelie across the finish line ramp. That could be considered race-winner exhuberence, couldn't it? But we weren't there so we don't have the full story and SCORE has not responded to our request for more information about it.

Read more: http://autoweek.com/article/racing/father-son-duo-dominates-desert-win-50th-baja-1000#ixzz4ytod6UAx

Please tell me this is a joke.

Sent an official to hospital with a broken leg, I've seen the video, it was a pretty serious crash.

I can assure you that Victor, our Race Director at the Baja Rally would have disqualified him instantly.

I should have known there was more to the story.

Thanks

Sent an official to hospital with a broken leg, I've seen the video, it was a pretty serious crash.

I can assure you that Victor, our Race Director at the Baja Rally would have disqualified him instantly.

Yep, I saw it too, wasn't real smart. Also I believe the rules state at finish to stop for some form of scoring before entering ramp at a SAFE speed. Still sad to lose that way for the rest of the team.

This is per the racers bulletin:

"Official Timing Finish and Finish Line Stop - The official finish timing loop is located before the interview ramp at the finish in La Paz. Be prepared to make a complete stop immediately after the timing arch and before reaching ramp. This stop must be made in a safe and controlled manner. There are cones leading into the timing loop. If you hit one you will be penalized (1) minute for each cone. You also will be fined if you hit the timing loop."

There's one from the other side that shows the media & officials being scattered like skittles, I saw it on Facebook but can't track it down again.

Wow that is too bad. He needs to watch some Graham Jarvis victory wheelies.

Not a joke and apparently no controversy or objections to the penalty/ruling within the SCORE community either. I was in San Felipe yesterday and talked about this years event over morning coffee with quite a few racers and different race teams. The subject did not come up even once.

_

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Back