• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

HB2470 / HB3838 "Malories Law" - Foot Pegs and Grab Handles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: HB 2470 Malories Law - Heads up sportbikes, they're gunning for you...

As much as I didn't like Sputnik, I now miss him. HE would have caught this. I'm with you. Time to pick up the fight.

You're absolutely right. Since Sputnik's unfortunate demise, there has been a leadership vacuum in this area. I, too, cringed at Sputnik at times, but he was always on the ball. This bill's foothold is a sad reminder of his absence.

Thanks... There's more than just those you mentioned as well.... This is a huge and concerted effort.

Let me be crystal clear on the PAC concept. This effort here is in NO WAY endorsed by Two Wheeled Texans aka: TWTEX.COM and TM. That MUST remain clear in everyone's mind. Yes, we are all motorcycle riders and we all frequent this board. But the Board is owned by an individual who has graciously allowed us to use this as a communications tool. I WILL NOT ALLOW my trust to be broken with TM on this subject and won't hesitate to lock this thread in a heartbeat if that trust is violated.

So in summary, NO WHERE is Two Wheeled Texans/TWTEX.COM or TM to be referenced as a supporting entity of what we are trying to accomplish here. I really don't want this thread to morph into a PAC concept either. So if that's someone's direction, then start another thread, but let's keep this one focused on the immediate battle - defeating the proposed legislation in it's tracks.

Agreed. If we form a PAC of some kind, we'll most definitely need another digital avenue by which to organize and execute it which is independent from TWT.

For now, let's concentrate on the task at hand. We'll cross the next bridge when we come to it.

Just want to reiterate, PLEASE keep checking the Senate calendar link below to see if this bill is set for floor discussion. It's possible it could show up today for a Friday late afternoon discussion when we all are thinking about other things. Or conversely, it could show up Friday for a first-thing Monday morning time slot.

So STAY ON TOP OF THIS LINK and the column "Hearing Notice" for the agenda........

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Committees/MeetingsByCmte.aspx?Leg=82&Chamber=S&CmteCode=C640

Just want to reiterate, PLEASE keep checking the Senate calendar link below to see if this bill is set for floor discussion. It's possible it could show up today for a Friday late afternoon discussion when we all are thinking about other things. Or conversely, it could show up Friday for a first-thing Monday morning time slot.

So STAY ON TOP OF THIS LINK and the column "Hearing Notice" for the agenda........

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/Committees/MeetingsByCmte.aspx?Leg=82&Chamber=S&CmteCode=C640

The legislature online site allows you to sign up for email updates if there is action on any pending bills. If you go to http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx and create an account, you can select any bill and determine those specific actions on any bill for which you want to receive notice. Those actions can be chosen by House and Senate. I asked for an email if HB2470 is set for hearing. If I get notice, I'll be sure to post here.

No guarantee it works as I just signed up this morning, but it appears to be a way to track the progress of the bill. Given I haven't tested it, I'll keep checking the link you posted as well.

The legislature online site allows you to sign up for email updates if there is action on any pending bills. If you go to http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx and create an account, you can select any bill and determine those specific actions on any bill for which you want to receive notice. Those actions can be chosen by House and Senate. I asked for an email if HB2470 is set for hearing. If I get notice, I'll be sure to post here.

No guarantee it works as I just signed up this morning, but it appears to be a way to track the progress of the bill. Given I haven't tested it, I'll keep checking the link you posted as well.

Perfect! :thumb: We still need to stay on top of this - everyone and any way possible!

My understanding is that all bills to be voted on by the senate must be sent to the floor by May 25. As of right now, there are no more Transportation Committee meetings scheduled between now and then. One could pop up any time, though, so do keep your eyes peeled.

My hope is that no more meetings/hearings will be scheduled (other than perhaps a "button-up" meeting to finish off any previously introduced items) and HB 2470 will die quietly.

Keep in mind that if we luck out and get this situation, HB 2470 could (and most likely will) be reintroduced in the next legislature. At that point, expect it to be in a re-drafted iteration aimed at "tuning it up" from the supporters' perspective. We will need to be vigilant from here on out. Win or lose, you can bet we haven't seen the last of this nonsense.

...I believe the intent is focused on grab handles, not straps.

The significant problem is with handholds not being identified or described. Just what is a handhold? I see that as possibly a strap on the seat, a backrest of some type, grab handles on either side or even luggage mounting points.
I base my assumption of hard handles being the intent on the grounds of non-riders trying to come up with a secure way of holding on to a motorcycle, if there really is such a thing. People are familiar with and associate hard/stiff/rigid things to hold onto that make them feel secure.

Straps can be seen as weak and inferior, arguably subject to destruction before keeping someone on the motorcycle. I highly question effectiveness of handles AND straps. They are too close to the fulcrum to prevent leverage from winning out!

(I have never seen testing on how sturdy straps are, and have not ever really had the opportunity to personally test one either, on account of sitting on the stupid thing and not being willing to slide off the back of the seat simply to get a hand in the strap. It is far easier and more effective to hold onto the operator.)

What they also don't realize is if the bike is going down, you want to get as far away from it as possible.

Senator emailed...

M38A1 asked:
That's an interesting question....

Can a state mandate additional safety equipment for registered vehicles above and beyond Federal requirements?

As reported, Yes, they can. But can they make vehicles that came from the factory without this equipment installed before the law passed install this equipment? This I do not have the answer on but I would like to know. My bike is a 2001 and it came with a small strap on the back seat that I don't think would hold my 6 year old daughter on the bike if I decided to ride like a... well, you get the idea.

I'm going to be watching this thread and trying to catch up an the last 25 pages.

Edit: I see there is a page on FB to, for a lack of better words, fight the bill. Can someone repost the page link?

Senator emailed...

M38A1 asked:

As reported, Yes, they can. But can they make vehicles that came from the factory without this equipment installed before the law passed install this equipment? This I do not have the answer on but I would like to know. My bike is a 2001 and it came with a small strap on the back seat that I don't think would hold my 6 year old daughter on the bike if I decided to ride like a... well, you get the idea.

I'm going to be watching this thread and trying to catch up an the last 25 pages.

Edit: I see there is a page on FB to, for a lack of better words, fight the bill. Can someone repost the page link?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Say-No-to-TX-HB-2470-Malories-Law/154598277939067?sk=wall&filter=2

So will it be my fault when my rider without a mc endorsement gets hurt because the guy texting hit us? Can't pass a texting law but can pass this.

I was just on the RideSafe website and they say that when you get endorsed it means you have AT LEAST 2 Yrs. riding experience. So doesnt that void this whole bill???

So will it be my fault when my rider without a mc endorsement gets hurt because the guy texting hit us? Can't pass a texting law but can pass this.

If you have your endorsement and two years experience the passenger does not have to have an endorsement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

THIS BILL IS DEAD!!

Just talked to my Senator and they said this bill is officially dead in committee. Thanks for all that wrote there senators and participated in the legislative process!!

Will this show up as such somewhere?

Great news! I just hope it really is true.

I just got an email to the same effect!

It appears HB 2470 is officially deader than fried chicken! Woo-hoo! :dude:

Your hard work helped it happen, folks! Congratulations and thank you all! We win this round! Can I get a woot?

Last edited:

Now is the time for all of us to take the high road with regards to the Facebook page. No one likes a gloater.

Now is the time for all of us to take the high road with regards to the Facebook page. No one likes a gloater.
+1

Now the question becomes, how do we prepare for the next version which I'm sure they'll introduce next session?

I just got an email to the same effect!

It appears HB 2470 is officially deader than fried chicken! Woo-hoo! :dude:

Your hard work helped it happen, folks! Congratulations and thank you all! We win this round! Can I get a woot?

woot

No need to gloat. The language of the law is what the issue was with. We ALL agree that the squid in question should've been the one to pay the ultimate cost.

Now, let's get on with the business of edumacation. Again, I would like to reiterate that my 7 years of 2-wheeled experience has not qualified me from taking on passengers at will ad nausium. Only daily practice does that.

To everyone's hard work and diligence :chug: Especially Scott, Tim and Ulric :clap:

Now if the legislature winds up having one of those emergency sessions since they can't agree on budget stuff and the like, what are the chances of this popping up over the summer?

Now if the legislature winds up having one of those emergency sessions since they can't agree on budget stuff and the like, what are the chances of this popping up over the summer?

They can't discuss it unless it is placed on the agenda calling them back to special session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back