• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New in Town

Reaction score
Hello all! I am WingWoman's daughter and Darmie's stepdaughter. I moved to the Houston area about 2.5 weeks ago and I already know I love it here. I found this group through my mom and stepfather and have found you all to be extremely kind and welcoming. I do not have a bike of my own yet but I would love to learn how to ride and have my own bike someday. As you can see from my username, I already know what I want. :P I'm looking forward to meeting and getting to know everyone.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Don't get your dream bike as your first bike. Get a reliable beater that you don't have to worry about scuffing. Then once you get that out of your system and feel more confident, get your dream bike ;-)

:welcome: to the TWT Family,

Hope to meet you sometime soon. Good luck on the bike search. This is a wonderful place if you have questions about a certain bike, learning to ride, help with mechanical issues, etc.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

Don't get your dream bike as your first bike. Get a reliable beater that you don't have to worry about scuffing. Then once you get that out of your system and feel more confident, get your dream bike ;-)

He knows what he is talking about here. :flip: I'm so glad that Scott convinced me to get a naked bike to start off with.

Hello young lady , Galveston here .

If you wanna learn a little before getting a big bike ,

I'll be glad to let you use a Street legal, when I get the new plate sticker ,

and clean the carb , about an hour ,

A nice CT110 . If that's an option for ya ,

I'll get it going next week or so .

Yall can come pick it up and use it as long as you need till your ready to move to a bigger bike .

Maybe 1 of Jbirds CR500's once your ready .

:duck:

You said new to town. If you're not used to traffic like we have I would suggest getting acclimated before you jump out there on 2 wheels. Weekend stuff is one thing, weekday stuff could be overwhelming for someone new to this level of traffic.

Welcome from SA!

Marko is like that...glad to call him my friend..

Offering up someone elses CR500 for a novice is one heck of an offer! I haven't touched one yet, but I can only imagine how insane a CR500... maybe he meant CBR500? :trust:

You are all so sweet. Thanks for all the tips and advice. thebigman, I will have to talk to Darmie, WingWoman, and Rydah about that VERY generous offer. I will let you know on here. Thank you SO much.

thebigman, my bike instructor (Rydah) and I will be taking you up on your very generous offer. Please let me know when you're ready and we'll come pick it up. Thank you again.

As to the offer of one of JBird's dirt bikes, Rydah has talked me out of that-for now. :P

thebigman, my bike instructor (Rydah) and I will be taking you up on your very generous offer. Please let me know when you're ready and we'll come pick it up. Thank you again.

As to the offer of one of JBird's dirt bikes, Rydah has talked me out of that-for now. :P

OK , I'll go get it out of my storage and get going on it prolly , next Monday .

The Lonestar Rally is this week and I plan on not being around for this event .

I'm sure Rydah knows , but just is case , since he is your private instructor ,

mention that this bike is a clutchless model , and if that's what he wants you to learn on , or something with a Clutch . r

Still have to shift gears tho , and IMO , for a beginner , a little easier to learn on .

I think we need to start her out on one of the CR500s. Anything else will be a piece if cake afterwards. :trust:

In all seriousness, after you learn on the CT, I do have a XR200 (offroad only) that would be an awesome way to learn how to use a clutch. It's fairly mellow and and won't have you flopping in the breeze like the CR.
36b8786f.gif

Ok ,

a little update ,

Got the bike out of storage and its in my garage at home.

Put some insurance on it today so I can get the plate and inspection stickers .

I was maxed out on both my Progressive policies that only allow 4 bikes per each .

So , I had to start another . :eek2:

Carb is off , and soaking in cleaner tonight .

Hopefully if every goes as planned , I can get it cleaned and back on the bike and running decent , and if time allows , get 1 or both stickers .

I hope Rydah has explained that this is not a Slab / Superslab / or even a FM Bike .

It's a learning tool for you to get started , Turning / leaning , Counter steering , braking , shifting , and MOST IMPORTANTLY , while doing everything mentioned above at the same time , looking out for anything that can cause you any danger.

My #1 rule is to be constantly be scanning and asking yourself , what am I gonna do if , an animal runs in front of me , or the car coming towards me will make a left turn cause you were not seen , a big pothole or bad road conditions happen right now , or if the bike quits running and stalls etc , etc , etc .

Or maybe a washout on the beach or somewhere else that creeps up and your going at an unstoppable speed :duck:

My #2 rule is , ALWAYS HAVE AN OUT OF DANGER MANEUVER TO KEEP YOU SAFE AT ALL TIMES FOR ANYTHING THROWN AT YOU :deal:

This bike actually is for parking lots , neighborhoods , cul de sac's , or any other place with little or nothing that can distract you .

I apologize for the long winded post .

I'll keep yall updated on the progression of getting it to you .

Big

Good to know about the Progressive policies; I'll be adding a 4th to mine.

Back