• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Hey all.....noobie here.

Reaction score
Hello, My name is Rexford and I am addicted to motorcycles......

I live just north of the metromess and have been riding the street for many many years. I am wanting to learn how to ride and maintain my own dual-sport. Not sure which model as of yet, but by golly, I am looking. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you and look forward to all of the wisdom you can impart on this old far.......well you get the idea.

Rexford

Aloha and welcome to TWT. Go to the forum for sale section on TWT for your next ride. What do you have now? Several camp gatherings you can join in on this month. KP

Sorry Prophet.... I ride a 2016 GSA. But I really have only ridden it on the streets with the stock tires on it. Would like something a lot smaller.

Welcome to the site! :wave:

I understand wanting something smaller! I started my DS riding on an 1150 GS :-P I now have a 1200 GS for light DS/street duty and a KTM 530 EXC for the more technical DS duty.

Welcome. You're in the right forum for DS riders. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a VStrom, KLR, GS, or Tenere rider. I'm sure you'll get lots of input.

Sorry Prophet.... I ride a 2016 GSA. But I really have only ridden it on the streets with the stock tires on it. Would like something a lot smaller.

What are you thinking about getting? I am leaning towards the new Kawa 300. There are plenty of KLRs,Stroms,DRs,XRs,KLXs riders here. Even a few of us crazies with BMW singles and twins. Do you camp off of the GSA? KP

:welcome:from San Marcos,Tx. Good folks hereabouts. Lots of experience and knowledge.It's staggering! Just watch out for the guys swinging dead cats.

Last edited:
What are you thinking about getting? I am leaning towards the new Kawa 300. There are plenty of KLRs,Stroms,DRs,XRs,KLXs riders here. Even a few of us crazies with BMW singles and twins. Do you camp off of the GSA? KP

I was looking at the XR650L, but would be open to suggestions. I am also going to look at the WR250. Would like something more dirt but streetable and easy maint. so I can learn (baby steps right??)

I have camped off of my bikes before, however, age and 3 back surgeries make it alot more comfy in cabins or hotels.....

Well hello from slightly South of you (downtown Dallas area). Lots of DS action on the forum, I have an XR400, street legal & dual sported you're welcome to try.

I'd recommend looking up UlyBrad on the forum, he runs an excellent 2 day dirt class regularly.

Welcome! Lots of DS riders and lots of opportunities to ride with folks. Lots of WR250 lover around here.

In order to be comfortable on the highway side of dual sporting, I would suggest not going smaller than a 400. Seems like those who do are kinda limited to less than comfortable freeway speeds. Specially if you are running the roads in west TX where the speed limit is 80, and most everyone is going 85-90. I have a '15 model Yammy WR-450 that I bumped the gearing up a little taller. Now I can ride technical trails in the Ozarks, or run a fairly comfortable 85 on the road. Easy upkeep! So far, 2 successful LAB2V runs and countless other dual sport & trail riding outings, plus a couple of woods races. All without a single whimper. No doubt there are many other plenty reliable choices too. Just don't get too small an engine displacement if you want it to be truly versitile on street and trail.

^^^^^ what he said

If you're planning to do a lot of slab to get to the good stuff (like a Galeana run) it's really easy to run a larger front sprocket for the road then change it out for a tooth down when you reach the destination.

+1, I couldn't agree more! Swapping out the front cog is usually the simplest way to go from capable highway bike, to great technical trail bike. Then when it is time to move on again, put your road cog back so your motor can do the travel easier. I intend to use this method when I ride my WR out to SoCal & back, hitting up as many great trail oportunities as I can along the way.

This is all good information that you guys are giving me... I really owe you. Now to do some more gathering of info and some shopping :rider:

Rexford

I was looking at the XR650L, but would be open to suggestions. I am also going to look at the WR250. Would like something more dirt but streetable and easy maint. so I can learn (baby steps right??)

I have camped off of my bikes before, however, age and 3 back surgeries make it alot more comfy in cabins or hotels.....

I think both are good selections. The BMW single would fit right in there also. There are plenty of XR and WR riders her on TWT. I suggest buying the one that fits you best.

Good meeting you at Plano BMW today.
Welcome Aboard !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back