• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New member from Houston

Luna

Reaction score
Greetings y'all! I'm a new member to forum, local to the Houston area. I started riding almost 3 years ago on a '12 Kawi Ninja 650, rode it like a touring bike across the neighboring state lines of Oklahoma while I was in school. great first bike, but definitely lacking some serious comfort for touring and the power for 2-up riding.

Fast forward to spring of '16 I purchased a '14 TEX, broke it in, changed the fluids and without much if any off-road/DS experience took a trip to Colorado to join a couple of my friends with Jeeps on the mountain pass trails of Ouray/Silverton/Telluride.

I look forward to attending meets and networking with other riders as I don't really have any friends who currently ride, and my Jeep buddies can't keep up in the trails (don't tell them I said that..haha) Anyways, here are a couple pictures of my bike during my Colorado trip.

20160904_151508_zpsrtbmzxiq.jpg

20160902_103337_zpsczdtojiz.jpg

Welcome. What part of town are you in? This is a great forum. Check out the pie run thread.

Keep the shiny side up.

Chuck

Great pics!

I had a similar experience getting into dual sport riding. I went from riding over 100K miles in four years on street bikes to getting myself an R1150GS after a buddy insisted I try his. I was HOOKED! So of course I went to Colorado with it despite having almost zero experience with dirt bikes or riding off pavement :doh: I learned a LOT on that first big trip. I didn't give up on the big GSs, but I did get me a KLR 650 and then a KTM 530 EXC :trust:

DSC04075.JPG

DSC04124.JPG

One of my first lessons of the week :lol2:
P1010536.jpg

And a result of that lesson :huh2:
DSC04053.JPG

[Garmin sent me a new unit for a mere $100 even though that one was way out of warranty and the "malfunction" was obviously NOT a warranty issue! :thumb:]

The result of one my lessons a few days later :doh:
DSC04138.JPG

DSC04156.JPG

I now have a 2007 1200 GS and I do ride it in the dirt, but I've gotten better as a result of so many lessons that I've lost count plus some actual training. I use the 530 EXC for the really fun stuff! :flip:

Thanks for the welcome everyone!

Chuck500, I'm in north Houston, just outside of the Heights. I'll check the pie run out thanks!

Tourmeister, you and I..we're not so different! haha. I consider myself lucky to have ridden away from that trip with nothing more than a broken set of front blinker lenses. Where do you normally ride around this area?

Tourmeister, you and I..we're not so different! haha. I consider myself lucky to have ridden away from that trip with nothing more than a broken set of front blinker lenses. Where do you normally ride around this area?

I got out of that trip with a partially separated left shoulder and a bruise from that shoulder all the way down to the left foot. It was close to a year before I could sleep on my left side without the pressure on the hip bone and the shoulder hurting. I am a left side sleeper as well :doh:

I am in Huntsville. I usually ride in areas North of Hwy 105. Anywhere South of 105 often has too much traffic for my liking, until you get out further West of Houston. There are tons of dirt county roads between I-45 and Hwy 6. There are also some going East, but you have to get out a little further (like past Livingston) to get to the fun stuff. There are some also in the SHNF area SE of Huntsville. Going up North and East of Huntsville toward Crockett and Nacogdoches there are many fun roads, but you had better be cool with riding in deep sand :trust:

Pretty much everything West of here you could do on your Triumph with the tires shown in those pics. If you head East into the sand, you'll want something with a much more aggressive tread. I usually have the TKC 80s on my 1200 GS and full knobbies on my KTM 530 EXC.

Back