• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cloudcroft, NM Lincoln Natl Forest never had it so good

Good ride it was.
So we took the next day off to head down to Alamagordo and the sand dunes. We got down there, it was 99 degress. We took pictures and got back in the truck and drove back to camp..
So plans were made to meet up on FR223 again and hit the Willie White trail and surrounding trails. Here we go...
[ame="http://youtu.be/Y55Usg4nlkM"]Willie White area, coudcroft, nm - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://youtu.be/LnOe9eVKYg4"]Willie White area take 2 - YouTube[/ame]

TexasTed is fast on a bike, how fast you ask, he's so fast he can actually disappear..
before
TexasTed_zpsaf2a3f3d.jpg

after
TexasTed_zpsf3a9f868.jpg

We exited the forest near a pretty cool waterfall and a restroom. We took the opportunity to appreciate both.
waterfall_zps31f2db3b.jpg

JamesandMati_zps8d0cdf6f.jpg

[ame="http://youtu.be/bXrHmXctKh0"]Willie White take 5 - YouTube[/ame]

After the next segment we came into a really cool valley.
favvalley_zps2a355d5a.jpg

got a group shot.
groupshot_zpscad9f5bf.jpg

Last one...
[ame="http://youtu.be/EWrR08NUO1c"]Willie Ehite take 11 - YouTube[/ame]

Well that's it for video and pictures of the Lincoln National Forest. The rest of the week we stuck around the camp, riding around the forest roads...
Hope you enjoyed the report.

Last edited:
Great stuff!! :clap:

:tab I recall very clearly that rocky climb on the Rim Trail before the gates... I was chunking rocks like crazy going up that one! It is a good thing you guys headed back on FR99 (West Side Rd) because the last few miles of the trail past that point is WAY harder than anything before it...

:tab I don't recall so much of the trail having branches hanging in so close. In your vids, it looked like you were dodging a lot of low hangers. The only place I really remember much of that was at the very North end where it juts out West in a big U shape before turning mostly South.

:tab Glad to see James got to do the segment South of Alamo Rd. That is where he called it quits on our trip after a nasty hamstring pull...

:tab James, so how do you like the 500 compared to the 300 you were riding last time?

:tab See all those videos sure makes me want to go back! :rider:

The 3rd day we made it back and rode the Rim Trail to the Observatory, so the boogeyman was chased further

IMG_1532_zps34962876.jpg

IMG_1534_zps1ea9eecb.jpg

here is the rancher from Gillespie Ranch who rode a CRF230F but I think he liked Brad's 500 EXC

IMG_1538_zps32c80840.jpg

Hey lulu guess the pm got lot in translation, was only asking where abouts on sunspot rd did your ride take place but I see now :trust: We left ft worth Friday en route to Ouray co ( my dad, sons, and brother) and had plans to ride the same area looks like good times. Glad to see another girl rider in the DFW area, do you two ride dual sport events too?

San Andreas (T125), the trail you came down from the top to 90 is no longer open to motorized vehicles. It is not signed that it is closed, but it has been removed from the motorized trail map. It was (is) a fun trail, but like you found out it has a lot of downed trees. Back in the day they used to race us UP that trail. I can't imagine taking two hours though to get down it. The nearest trail back down from where you all were at would have been Heart Attack, or T235. Also, an easier way back up instead of riding up the Switchbacks in the wet would be to follow West Side Rd (90) towards High Rolls until you ge to Courtney Mine Trail (T132) which feeds into the bottom of Karr Canyon Rd.

It rained fairly hard this past Saturday and constantly Saturday night. I rode down T104 south of West Side Road to stay out of the rain then made a loop on some of the other trails to get back up to 90. These trails make the south part of the Rim trail look rock-free, and they are steep too.

Hey lulu guess the pm got lot in translation, was only asking where abouts on sunspot rd did your ride take place but I see now :trust: We left ft worth Friday en route to Ouray co ( my dad, sons, and brother) and had plans to ride the same area looks like good times. Glad to see another girl rider in the DFW area, do you two ride dual sport events too?

Hey Clutchless, hope you all have a great trip. Ouray was plan B, we were there last summer as well. As of now, no dual sport for "us" as Deb doesn't have a plated bike. BUT, plans are in place and things are going to change for the better. As soon as we get a few loose ends tied up, we are gonna sell the TTR-230 and will be getting either a 250xcf-w or a 350exc-f for her.
Do you ride off-road? We spend a lot of time at Red River, Crooked Creek, and have plans to try Zars and Barnwell Mtn soon. Give us a shout when you get back...

San Andreas (T125), the trail you came down from the top to 90 is no longer open to motorized vehicles. It is not signed that it is closed, but it has been removed from the motorized trail map. It was (is) a fun trail, but like you found out it has a lot of downed trees. Back in the day they used to race us UP that trail. I can't imagine taking two hours though to get down it. The nearest trail back down from where you all were at would have been Heart Attack, or T235. Also, an easier way back up instead of riding up the Switchbacks in the wet would be to follow West Side Rd (90) towards High Rolls until you ge to Courtney Mine Trail (T132) which feeds into the bottom of Karr Canyon Rd.

Didn't know if was closed, but after we got back to camp we realized that it wasn't even on the map. you are correct, no indication from the top that it was closed. It really wasn't that difficult. the rain didn't help traction and my wife is relatively new to off road, so we took our time. I wore myself out walking back up the hill to help but it was fun none the less.

Didn't know if was closed, but after we got back to camp we realized that it wasn't even on the map. you are correct, no indication from the top that it was closed. It really wasn't that difficult. the rain didn't help traction and my wife is relatively new to off road, so we took our time. I wore myself out walking back up the hill to help but it was fun none the less.

The rain is a game changer in CC. This past Saturday in the morning 105 was dusty and after lunch was a snotty mess. We also fixed the down tree on 105 on the north side by stacking up other smaller dead trees. It is still sketchy but it's mind over matter. I may drag my chain saw up there and fix it right. Your wife did great considering she is new to riding off road and especially the type of trail at CC.

And yet she was riding the Rim Trail and seeming to have fun with it! :clap:

Impressive.

Very impressive. She went out ahead of me and was "never seen again".:clap: A great bunch to ride with and I had a ton of fun. Only fell off of the mountain 2 times and threw one chain.

Jerry

Back