• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Racing the Baja 1000

Good luck guys. Sounds fun. I'm no expert but those who are have convinced me to mount Dunlop at 81 rc on the rear. Rc for reinforced carcass. Nutech tubliss rather than mousse. Don't know if that is wise for a race. But buddies say mousse can disintegrate in the desert. No biggie...swap it out in the pits. Tubliss can get flats but you can plug them. Or run them flat. Benefit is 6 psi vs 14 mousse? Headed down to bay of la next week for 900. I'll update you after. Btw, Front is Dunlop geomax mx52. Would love to ride hf with y'all sometime.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

I have run tubless in West Texas mesquite thorns and cactus you will be doing a lot of plugging. I used a puncture sealant, but got tired of the changes and constantly fiddling with pressure. I moved to mouse bibs.

I personally would run bibs. They can break up in the desert at high speeds due to heat. Just make sure to lube them really well. I would swap them at the pits. Just whole wheel sets. I'd not want to spend the time, effort, and money needed to sit on the side of road plugging tires or changing tubes. Be sure to check with other experience teams to see what they are running as well.

Impressive feat. Kudo's to both of you!

There's a 24 hour race in a couple of weeks if you're looking for a warm up. http://www.thegutbuster24.com/

My son will be racing it again this year and he uses the Task Racing Lights. He has a light bar on the bike, but says the helmet lights are the most important. He runs two on his helmet and calls them the Mickey Mouse lights...

http://www.taskracing.com/moto-adventure-helmet-light.html

Yep.... great practice idea!

I have run tubless in West Texas mesquite thorns and cactus you will be doing a lot of plugging. I used a puncture sealant, but got tired of the changes and constantly fiddling with pressure. I moved to mouse bibs.

I personally would run bibs. They can break up in the desert at high speeds due to heat. Just make sure to lube them really well. I would swap them at the pits. Just whole wheel sets. I'd not want to spend the time, effort, and money needed to sit on the side of road plugging tires or changing tubes. Be sure to check with other experience teams to see what they are running as well.
@weekend warrior. Valid points.

Loading the bike tonight and driving to bay of la tomorrow for 5 day ride. (Shy of 900 miles.)

If I learn any tips, I'll repost.

-b

I can take you guys through the ... more interesting bits.... of CTOR if you'd like. [emoji109][emoji110][emoji95][emoji100]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm definitely interested. Now, if only winter would leave and take the rain with it.

Guys, this is freaking amazing, good for you. You have no idea how jealous and impressed I am of you two!!! Way to go and be safe. I have had a lot of my dear friends get very hurt, more on the pre-rides than the race, but just be safe.

Fantastic adventure - best of luck!

"Baja" is Spanglish for "sand", which in Baja California is abundant: All colors, all depths, all degrees of fineness, all roads. Except where the road crosses the rivers or arroyos, which are rocks - all shapes, all sizes.

Avoid this crossing on the road between Ciudad Insurgentes and Loreto...unless you can't. In that case, go for it! Go for all of 'em - there are about a dozen crossings of the same "river" on that particular road.

z87StOL.jpg

Last edited:
How’s the training going?

We are ramping up the training. I did two 30 minute motos last weekend at Cycle Ranch and the improvement in my conditioning was noticeable. Hopefully the "rain every weekend" pattern is finished for a while and we can ride more frequently.

I can't speak for JT, but I've been very consistent about working out in the gym during the week. I have added stair climbing as part of my weekly training regimen.

We are planning to pre-run Baja next month, which should allow us a good assessment of both the riding conditions (terrain) we can expect and our moto conditioning.

Thanks for asking.

It would be cool if you'd do a thread on bike prep, tool selection, riding gear selection, etc,... I know, I know... It's just time. But you have TONS of it right!? :-P

It would be cool if you'd do a thread on bike prep, tool selection, riding gear selection, etc,... I know, I know... It's just time. But you have TONS of it right!? :-P

My intent was to use this thread for all those items. Right now we are concentrating on physical conditioning but as we begin our bike and logistical prep I will be talking about that too.

Just off 1 week in Baja. For training, I'd suggest fingers, thumbs, and grip. Ha! I got bad arm pump. Still no feeling in thumb. Next time I'll ease up one or two clicks on fork compression as well.

Oh...palm savers a must.

Imo, No better workout than full days of hard riding.

Just off 1 week in Baja. For training, I'd suggest fingers, thumbs, and grip. Ha! I got bad arm pump. Still no feeling in thumb. Next time I'll ease up one or two clicks on fork compression as well.

Oh...palm savers a must.

Imo, No better workout than full days of hard riding.

I hadn't thought about palm savers so thanks for the idea.

I agree with you that there is no better way to get in riding shape by full days of hard riding. The main component of my training program is increasingly longer hard rides on the weekends.

Although I'm biased I'd say do the Baja Rally or the Mexican Coast to Coast instead. Cost-wise, the Nav tower & associated equipment isn't going to be much different than prepping the KTM to survive the 1000. You'll have a different kind of fun in spectacular scenery (most on private land so untouched by racers) without much of the risk, plus you guys can ride together.

To that risk...some of the motorcycle outfitters in Mexico are no longer providing support to riders wishing to race the 1000. Their reason is their conscience. They consider it too dangerous these days for bikes & do not want to be complicit in a riders demise. Caselli's crash really opened some eyes to the situation on course.

Finally...if you want to do this (and damm the torpedoes, I truly respect your desire) and need some boots on the ground contacts & experience, let me know & I'll see what we can put together.

It's cheap too. The organizers, Patrick & Romina Reyes are 2 of the nicest folks you'll ever meet, plus Patrick's a seriously fast racer himself.

http://www.offroadlogistics.mx/home

I believe the $1,500 includes all food plus a tent (which is set up for your arrival).

I really didn't need to know that existed :) "Okay honey, here's the deal. There's this bike race in Mexico..."

I really didn't need to know that existed :) "Okay honey, here's the deal. There's this bike race in Mexico..."

There's a Nav class (roadbook) and a GPS class too if you don't want to make the investment & time in rally nav equipment.

We don't have a GPS class at Baja Rally but we do have 3 or 4 good weekend schools to teach the roadbook stuff in the Ensenada area.

Back to the topic in hand...

Finally...if you want to do this (and damm the torpedoes, I truly respect your desire) and need some boots on the ground contacts & experience, let me know & I'll see what we can put together.

Thank you for the offer. We have not confirmed our support team yet - a few people have expressed interest in helping but no 100% commitments so far.

Training update: Rather than put a lot of training miles on my 500EXC between now and November, I decided that a practice bike could be a good idea. I could ride it as much as I wanted and not worry so much about breaking something on it when I inevitably fall down. I also wouldn't need to worry about whether I need to completely rebuild the engine just prior to the race.

A good friend of mine had a 2007 Yamaha YZ450F sitting unridden in his garage. He had bought the bike about two years ago for his teenage son to ride/race but after only a few rides the kid moved on to other things, so the bike has been sitting and gathering dust. The price was right, we worked out a deal and now the bike lives in my garage.

_MG_0069-XL.jpg

The motor is in good shape but there are some issues with the front suspension (much too stiff) and the front brake (much too weak). I am making steady progress on fixing both issues.

In the meantime, the "rain every weekend" pattern seems to have stopped. and I was able to ride both weekend days. On Saturday I put in two motos - one 40 minute and one 25 minute - at Cycle Ranch. On Sunday, JT and I and a couple of other riders rode for a few hours at Hidden Falls, which was my first time to really ride single track.

I noted that my conditioning is getting better but I still have a ways to go. In particular, my hands/wrists fatigue first and most. I seem to have pretty good stamina and my legs have not been a limiting factor (constantly going back and forth between sitting and standing for a 40 minute moto is not exhausting). My hands/grip, however, are definitely the constraining factor. After the first 40 minute moto I pulled off the track because of (lack of) hand strength, not overall fatigue. I meant to ride a second 40 minute moto but stopped after just 25 minutes due to failing grip strength. During our ride on Sunday, I started the day feeling the effects of the day before - I definitely had not recovered - and ended the ride earlier than intended due to weakness in my grip. The good news is that I anticipate as I ride more and my conditioning gets better that hand/grip strength will become a non-issue.

We are headed to Baja in early April to pre-run the 2015 Baja 1000 course. I'm thinking this trip will tell us if we are out of our minds delirious and have bitten off more than we can chew or it will confirm that the 2018 Baja 1000 is within our capabilities.

Last edited:
Grip puppies help me with the fatigue. They make the grip fatter so your hand does not curl as tight, but not so fat that you can't hang on. They are also soft so that helps with the pounding your palms take. You might try a set. I have them on my GS, but on the KTM I have some kind of thicker gel grips that help.

Good idea on the bike. I would train more on the ST and hare scramble type tracks if you can. The TCCRA lets you practice on sat all day if you want for a small fee. I had issues with arm pump and grip when I raced enduro. I learned to push through it and after the 25 mile mark I was much faster. What helped me most is seat time and pushing during off days (ride without stopping).

Also, do you have elbow pads or one of those armor jackets. I learned to just barely close the wrist strap on my gloves and ditched the elbow pads as they crossed my forarm to tight to keep them in place. Also, I found that under armor type compression shirts hurt my grip as well. I used to wear some of the cold gear on colder days and I always had arm pump.

Grip puppies help me with the fatigue. They make the grip fatter so your hand does not curl as tight, but not so fat that you can't hang on. They are also soft so that helps with the pounding your palms take. You might try a set. I have them on my GS, but on the KTM I have some kind of thicker gel grips that help.

I have not tried the grip puppies but I have used thicker gel grips on my dual sport bikes in the past. I find that the larger grips are good for adventure riding but don't work as well off pavement for me as the regular size grips.

I'm hoping it is mostly a matter of conditioning - and that with more riding my grip will strengthen to the point of being a non-issue. That has been my experience in the past when riding and racing motocross. After a long layoff, grip weakness and arm pump always showed up when I first started riding again and then vanished with sufficient training.

If that turns out to not be the case and grip stamina continues to be an issue, I will definitely give the grip puppies a try.

Last edited:
Back