• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Mexico and Colorado Ride AUG 24 - SEP 3

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
I am planning to get out on my first major trip with my 14 Tiger 800 XC. northern New Mexico and Colorado provide me a much needed break from the Austin Texas heat so that is where I am headed.

I plan on rolling into the Santa Fe area mid day on AUG 24 and will start for home sometime on SEP 3. It will be camping for me except for 1 or 2 days for shower and laundry. I am avoiding expert trails due to my riding experience and my bike being a fat whale due to gear.

Any advice and tips are greatly appreciated.

Are you planning mainly on dirt or street riding or a mix of both? Have you been that way before?

I cannot help you much on the dirt part but the way there or paved I have several that are good. I can help with a few motels or places to eat. Was Santa Fe your first place to stop right? Are you camping there or hanging at the motel?

I cannot help you much on the dirt part but the way there or paved I have several that are good. I can help with a few motels or places to eat. Was Santa Fe your first place to stop right? Are you camping there or hanging at the motel?

I am definitely camping out. Any advice on local places to eat or breweries is always welcome.

I think I just found where I will be near. It looks like there are some good trails by Elk Mountain off of 63. Check out the video for more details. There is Pecos National Historical Park right there which I will likely stop in for a visit.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqs1lAY70Jk"]Ride up Elk Mountain, NM on Tiger 800XC (Part 5) - YouTube[/ame]

In Chama,New Mexico stay at the Branding iron Motel eat breakfast at Finas and dinner at High Country. At Gunnison,Colorado other the KOA or the Long Holiday motel. Eat breakfast at The W cafe, and lunch at the Gunnisack and steak dinner at the Ol Miner steakhouse.

There is a dirt road between Gunnison and Crested Butte that is I think 26 miles long that is a easy road with some nice scenery. I can never remember the name of even though I have been on it twice now.

Now black top roads that is a whole different story.

Last edited:
Now if I was riding the whole way..............I would ride to Las Vegas,NM then north on scenic 518,next 434 to NM38 the Enchanted circle,finally over to 64 all the way to Chama. There are so many sweet paved roads in Colorado that it would take weeks or months to ride them all. CO149 being one of the nicer ones. One question, are you afraid of heights? In Colorado there are many places were there are little to no guard rails. Only in certain "dangerous" turns. Do you have a Bulter motorcycle map for New Mexico and Colorado? They help show you what roads are ones that you do not want to miss.

Last edited:
There is a dirt road between Gunnison and Crested Butte that is I think 26 miles long that is a easy road with some nice scenery. I can never remember the name of even though I have been on it twice now.

It looks like CO730 might be the road you are taking about

One question, are you afraid of heights? In Colorado there are many places were there are little to no guard rails. Only in certain "dangerous" turns.

Not at all. Those are the best roads to be on. I appreciate all the insight you have provided. I am researching them all via google maps.

All of that area is nice especially back toward Tincup or Schofield Pass though I am not sure I would take a tiger on that pass.

It looks like CO730 might be the road you are taking about

Not at all. Those are the best roads to be on. I appreciate all the insight you have provided. I am researching them all via google maps.

Get a hold of Mr2mch on TWT and get the motorcycle specific Butler maps for both NM and Co. He sells them and is reasonable. The hardest thing is figuring out which roads to ride!!!:rider:

Get a hold of Mr2mch on TWT and get the motorcycle specific Butler maps for both NM and Co. He sells them and is reasonable. The hardest thing is figuring out which roads to ride!!!:rider:

So after much debate I am going to ride the New Mexico Back Country Discovery Route south to north. My work load is looking like I might have to delay a week but that is not certain yet. I have been told to watch out for rain and be prepared to detour. There is also one spot of down hill loose rock that does not sound pleasant.

https://ridebdr.com/NMBDR

Once / if I finish I will swing back down around Santa Fe since it beings me closer to home.

Just a note, we did UT/NM/AZ/CO in mid July and with the heat and burn ban, meaning no campfire or cigar smoking,... we bailed out on camping. Bans even at elevation.

I am definitely camping out. Any advice on local places to eat or breweries is always welcome.

I think I just found where I will be near. It looks like there are some good trails by Elk Mountain off of 63. Check out the video for more details. There is Pecos National Historical Park right there which I will likely stop in for a visit.

Ride up Elk Mountain, NM on Tiger 800XC (Part 5) - YouTube

The Tincup ride up to the Offroad park (can't remember the name of the trail) is fine for big-trailies. We did it in the rain and fog on loaded GSA's a couple of years ago. The fog might have actually helped; If I had been able to see past the side of the muddy trail down the cliffs I might have developed carb problems. :giveup:

All of that area is nice especially back toward Tincup or Schofield Pass though I am not sure I would take a tiger on that pass.

Just a note, we did UT/NM/AZ/CO in mid July and with the heat and burn ban, meaning no campfire or cigar smoking,... we bailed out on camping. Bans even at elevation.

It looks like a lot of the NMBDR is in higher altitude so the temps will be somewhat cooler. I have done 2 paved road motorcycle tours of the 4 corners area where I camped so I know how bad it can suck. Definitely going to get a hotel around Truth and Consequences.

The Tincup ride up to the Offroad park (can't remember the name of the trail) is fine for big-trailies. We did it in the rain and fog on loaded GSA's a couple of years ago. The fog might have actually helped; If I had been able to see past the side of the muddy trail down the cliffs I might have developed carb problems. :giveup:

Thanks for the tip. I will have a day or 2 of free time in Colorado before I make my turn south.

Last edited:
My trip is delayed for 1 week due to work. The good news is I have an experienced friend who is now going to ride with me through the Gila National Forest. We both like to take pictures so I should come back with some decent shots of the ride

Back