• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

battery voltages

doing some reading and discharged battery seems to be a common issue with the fix being plugging in a charger when not riding. :doh:

does your bike have the keyless ride and alarm?

seems in a noisy radio environment it triggers the computer to cycle power the can buss and that puts 30 second half amp loads on the battery that keep cycling.

that person took his bike to dealer and it didn't do it there but at home it does it.

no fuses on that bike, it uses virtual fuses where the computer monitors loads and shuts off power on circuits it sees over load on.

The amperage draw on my back was .54 in the 20 mA Range I just checked my wife's back hurts worse .47 in the 20 mA Range She's had her back about four years with no issues so I'm going to figure my back is OKthat was a voice message I'm sure it can be figured out thanks again for the input

It is not keyless and no alarm . My wife's bike is a 2009 Yamaha fz6r and my milliamperes drain is slightly higher which I would expect and we have had no battery issues with her bike bike

Update using 2 meters set on 40 milliamp which would mean that on that setting I got .54 on both meters .I did my wife's bike Yamaha fz6r and got .47 I purchased a new battery after a couple of weeks went 6 days of not being used and it did not start low battery being that the readings were so close to my wife's bike I don't get why I have this problem. Hope I have not wore out this subject.

you are not using walmart batteries are you?
weather permitting I will try to remember to bring my good meter home and run it on every thing here.

This is a voice text because I'm driving best battery was purchased at tri-state batteries I purchased one years ago 407-1200 GT and the battery works fine on it I didn't want to spend a lot of money on a battery in case the battery wasn't the problem they do carry the Odyssey battery which a lot of people recommend i'll leave my iPhone which is just an extra in the glove compartment plugged in but when I turn the key off that should turn off any problem there

phone chargers draw power all the time even when not plugged into a phone.

edit: it varies widely with manufacturers, some will kill a battery in days, some don't draw anything to speak of.

Last edited:
But if the power is turned off to the phone charger fan of coarse it can't draw power like when the key is turned off on the ignition that should turn off the power to my USB and audio jack that comes with the motorcycle at least that's how I thought I understood it This is still a voice text because I'm driving and thanks for your help

I will verify that it loses power and also I will check into the battery bug I'm also going to purchase one of those small battery starters looks like a cell phone and I made an appointment to take the bike back to where I purchased it so they can test course that will be June 20 I would like to get this problem resolved so I don't have to go to Austin for that purpose y'all have been a big help thank you

But if the power is turned off to the phone charger fan of coarse it can't draw power like when the key is turned off on the ignition that should turn off the power to my USB and audio jack that comes with the motorcycle at least that's how I thought I understood it This is still a voice text because I'm driving and thanks for your help

make sure it turns off and don't stay live with key off!

In my jeep the power port acts like it is off with the key. I say act because my phone charger has an led showing it powered when the key is on and off when the key is off, but if I leave it plugged in the jeep will not start after one week of sitting. If I unplug the charger it can sit for months and still start. This jeep is in the pasture most of the time so I have not had the desire to chase the problem, I just unplug any accessory from the port at the end of the day.

Good luck.

I disconnected the iPhone and cables and made no dif in milliamp draw . A guy at work recommended trying the 10 amp range it arced when I hooked up cable in that range only and showed all zero's on all ranges

Ok I think we are missing some thing and you are going to need a new fuse in meter.

I got same reading with 2 different meters I guess why did you test a bike and found a big difference

Trickle charger, if you dont ride it but once every few weeks the clock well run the battery down. The only bikes that don't draw down are the analog ones. No clocks or LCD, fuel injection, ECU. just ignition and lights.

I am using a trickle charger now which is not a problem and I am pleased with the bike just not use to having to have one except for a 1200lt the security system was a drain. Thanks I know a guy that has a scope I would like to make sure the alternated is providing dc with no trace of a alternating current which woul indicate a diode problem

I checked both fuses they were good tried other meter 10 amp range same results ! Thanks again

The results you posted previously on the 20mA range will most likely not show on the 10A range. The meter is less sensitive at the higher scale. I would go back to the 20mA range and start pulling fusses or disconnecting things one at a time until I discovered what the draw was. You may find that there is nothing you can do but it may be something you can eliminate.

Thank you I'm going to voice text it would take me too long to type this on my phone I just talk to a man that is the mechanic on my personal vehicles hey uses a analog meter and puts it what appears to be in series with the battery on the positive side and then he pulls fuses and this is what DC voltage not amperage he said he finds a lot of stereos have lost their memory and when they lose their memory they draw on the battery I guess I better find the fuses on my motorcycle and perhaps get a analog later he did not think it did storm later would work as well and a demonstrated this on one of the vehicles he had in his shop which was nice of him thanks for your help

Oh and I forgot to state that it does fave the radio package and no longer has the adjustable shocks ohlins are on it now

Back