• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

But, officer; I wasn't speeding!

Reaction score
Got a surprise near home today.
Between me and town (9 miles away) the limit drops from 70 to 55.
Way before I got to the slower zone I dropped down to 56 (GPS) and was feeling very comfortable when the DPS appeared from the other direction.
My comfort soon fled when he lit up.
Did he just want to see a Victory Vision close up?
Is this trooper on an emergency call and it just happened to come in next to me?

Nope, he was stopping me.

I let him do the talking and he mentioned the change in speed limit and suggested I had missed it.

He was nice, I was nice; but I insisted that I was more than aware of the 55 zone and was going 56.
He asked if I had calibrated my GPS. Frankly I've never heard of such a thing. I told him I trusted it.
We chatted awhile; I suppose to figure out whether I was impaired or not.
Finally he volunteered that it might have been the car behind me that his radar caught and he gave me a warning ticket.

Had a nice ride anyway, lots of pretty flowers out there.

anytime you walk away with a warning, you should be happy.... :)

I have been lucky enough to get a couple of warnings driving cages...

I got my first ticket in twenty-eight years last week. I deserved it. :trust:

My brother in law has a vision. Last year we met in Arkansas to ride. Every stop in small towns the country folk were drawn to him like an alien spacecraft.

He admitted he was probably wrong, but he wrote you a warning anyway. Why?!
He already called the stop into dispatch, he has to have something to show for it so his boss doesn't say "you stopped that guy...and then did what?"

I'd say it was an excuse to see the Vision, and stick with that.

But I could be a bit biased.

Riding a motorcycle is like walking around at night wearing a hoodie.
You're just asking for it.

dps.jpg

Picture taken by a perverse friend on my Colorado Redux ride.

He admitted he was probably wrong, but he wrote you a warning anyway. Why?!

At first I thought this was wrong and unfair also but then realized the last two times I've been stopped on my bikes I got off with only warnings. So what should have been at minimum 4 separate violations/citations/fines was dismissed with two warnings.

So now my thinking has changed and I will be happy to accept a warning even when not deserved to keep the warning system alive and well.

_

It is good that the officer understands that his radar gun can read a car in the background when it is pointed at the nearer motorcycle. I wish one in a local city near me had a grasp on that. I got the ticket and took the course to keep my record clean.

Trade ya. :deal:

Haven't been stopped while riding. Yet. Have been the middle in a group of 3 and the lead guy got stopped (Cedar Park PD), he told the other 2 of us to move up and wait. It was a legit stop, 70 in a 55 and we were all doing it. The leader got a keeper (ticket). We just watched from a distance.

He told us he was stopped because the cop, "Saw a green bike that ran on him last week." He happened to be on a green Honda CBR600RR but wasn't the same guy as last week. Heck, the other bike in our group was also a 600RR and I on my FZ6... we all stopped immediately after the overheads went on (he should've been grateful for that, maybe). Whatever.

I have yet to even attempt to stop a motorcycle. About 90% of my stops end in warnings only, I don't give out many citations at all. But once you stop someone you have to have a record of the stop and detainment.

Riding a motorcycle is like walking around at night wearing a hoodie.
You're just asking for it.

I haven't found this to be true. I'm sure I have been cut some slack when on my bike.

more tickets than I can remember, not that I've had that many tickets but I am that old.

funny thing, haven't gotten a ticket on the Bandit (knock wood), but I Guzzi

Brings up two thoughts. First, I wonder when someone is going to use gps tracks as a defense against a traffic citation. Second, and maybe one of the officers on the board can best answer this, when riding with a group and a policeman wants to stop a rider, what is best, jst riding on a ways and watching from a distance, going several miles up the road and waiting, or stopping as a group?

ha ha calibrate GPS? Good thing it wasn't me getting pulled over. I would have look at him and told him "Yep, its calibrated. My flux capacitor is charged too. If I was going a little faster I could have time traveled". Of course he probably would have issued me the ticket. I wonder if he calibrated his radar gun? :banghead:

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Haven't been stopped while riding. Yet. Have been the middle in a group of 3 and the lead guy got stopped (Cedar Park PD), he told the other 2 of us to move up and wait. It was a legit stop, 70 in a 55 and we were all doing it. The leader got a keeper (ticket). We just watched from a distance.

He told us he was stopped because the cop, "Saw a green bike that ran on him last week." He happened to be on a green Honda CBR600RR but wasn't the same guy as last week. Heck, the other bike in our group was also a 600RR and I on my FZ6... we all stopped immediately after the overheads went on (he should've been grateful for that, maybe). Whatever.

I have yet to even attempt to stop a motorcycle. About 90% of my stops end in warnings only, I don't give out many citations at all. But once you stop someone you have to have a record of the stop and detainment.
Dave, never noticed you were in Elgin. Are you EPD, APD, DPS, Sheriff..? Glad I haven't met you on the job. :mrgreen:

With 9 gallons of gas and that heavy bike surely you weren't speeding...

I was on my way to the gas station. :mrgreen:

53 in a 40 zone. He wrote it as 45 in a 40. I'm already taking the online DDC.

ha ha calibrate GPS? Good thing it wasn't me getting pulled over. I would have look at him and told him "Yep, its calibrated. My flux capacitor is charged too. If I was going a little faster I could have time traveled". Of course he probably would have issued me the ticket. I wonder if he calibrated his radar gun? :banghead:

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Back