• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

SOLD 05 DL1000 project No Comp

Re: FS 05 DL1000 project No Comp

Find someone with a bore scope and go in through the spark plug hole and look at the condition of the cylinder walls and valves might tell the story as to if it is a major issue requiring piston/ring/cylinder work or just valve train issue.

the valve stems stretch slightly and that also causes the valve clearance to reduce and eventually the valves stay open!!
Not to get in a mechanical pissing match, but that is not really what happens in something other then a ultra High RPM motor like say top fuel dragster.......or a valve that is failing and ready to come apart.

On the common motorcycle adjuster over valve design head, valve head and seat wear, as then do the valve recedes into the head causing the relative valve clearance gap to lesson. The valve is not getting longer, it is just going farther into the head...

Last edited:

I am willing to bet that the low compression is just that the mech didn't take into account the auto de-compessors. Losing compression in both would be failed cam chain. Strom valves are some of the most reliable in the business. Something else is wrong.

THAT ^^^ is what i was thinking as well.... I prefer a leak down test in combo with compression, or stand alone most times,,,, leak down tells me mush more then just a compression test

Everyone is talking mechanical problems, but has anyone thought about maybe an electrical problem? Like a fuel pump or ignition problem, or maybe even a blown fuse?

I would unplug the power commander and try it without it.

Fuel, air, power commander and i think electrical all checked. I dont think any of those would lead to loss of compression anyway but ill leave that to smarter people than me to figure out. Still no one interested. Price too high?

Is there someway to bypass the auto decompressed?

No easy way that I know of. They are driven by centrifugal force and are purely mechanical. The only way to really bypass them would be to remove them all together from the exhaust cams I would think.

I'm about to sell my 7.3 Excursion, and if this is still available in a week or two I'll take it. My Strom is in sad shape after years of neglect. I put it in the garage like 6 years ago and haven't really touched it while I started a business. Now the cost of putting it back on the road is formidable.

This bike has about everything I'll need. Clutch Basket, Seat (Mine is ripped now), Tires, Power Commander, Sasquatch shock.

And, I've always wanted to use the Strom front end on my 81 Suzuki GS custom job. It would give me a modern tire size but on a 19" (stock size in '81) rim.

I would use most of this bike putting 2 motos back on the road.

Need a seat?
I have a stock seat from a 2005, along with several other bits and pieces.

Most if not all were pledged to me to fix my Strom after the dog wreck, I will pay them all forward.

I know I have a seat, rear brake lever, serviceable mirrors ... probably more bits.
Lemme know ...

I put it in the garage like 6 years ago and haven't really touched it while I started a business.

I was recently wondering where you have been! Someone asked about Rocketbunney and I got to thinking about other folks I had not seen on the site in a while (years... :lol2:) You were real active for a while then just kind of dropped off the face of the planet. Good to see you are still around ;-)

I was recently wondering where you have been! Someone asked about Rocketbunney and I got to thinking about other folks I had not seen on the site in a while (years... :lol2:) You were real active for a while then just kind of dropped off the face of the planet. Good to see you are still around ;-)

Hi Scott!

Yeah I hung up all "fun" stuff for a while. I needed the cash for business stuff. We actually started 2 different things. My wife runs www.danielaweaver.com and we have been decently succesful with that. I started a sound company, but it didn't really work out. I work at Lone Star Cowboy Church now in Montgomery.

My son turned 15 and wanted a bike. He mowed lawns until he got enough money to buy a non running scooter, which we fixed and sold. Made enough money to buy a non running Ninja 250 (maybe the nicest one on the planet) and got it running.

Anyway, I've been itching to ride again! Maybe get out to the Montgomery bike nights.....

Not easily but yes it can be done, though not really needed as he serviceman manual procedural accounts for the Auto decomp working as designed

The DL1000 service manual shows 142-199psi standard, with a min of 114 psi.
And a differential of no more than 28psi
Again, personally Id do a leak down as well.....as it tells you not just that cylinder compression is low(ish) but helps ID where that compression is leaking .

And I have now derailed a for sale post with Tech BS, sorry about that.. did not read the whole thing and just now realized this was a ad...:giveup:

Yes, the proper course of action is a LEAK DOWN test. That will for sure tell you where the compression is going. My ZX1100E2 (75K miles) lost #4 cylinder on the way home one day. As it worked out it also had a small exhaust leak on the #4 header for quite awhile. I was certain it burned the exhaust valve and I'd have to pull the head. Having multiple bikes it sat in the garage for about a year.

Finally got back to it, checked compression, #4 had "0" and the other 3 low and inconsistent. Checked the valves and all 16 had "0.00" clearance, nada, none, nothing. Did a leak down test and surprisingly all 4 cylinders were leaking via the intake valves. Bought a HOT Cams shim kit for $67, adjusted the valves. Retested, leak down was less than 10% and all 4 now had almost max compression. Hit the starter and it purred like a kitten.

The point being, don't expect the worse until it is PROPERLY troubleshot. I think you'd be amazed at how many shops/mechanics DO NOT have a leak down tester.

Update...
Both exhaust valves on front cylinder are bent. Rear cylinder seems on the low side but serviceable.
Front cylinder Cam chain did jump time?? Cam guide is in many pieces.. Have not looked at cam chain or lower sprocket, yet Front cylinder and piston look usable, the piston only has small marks. Valves look undamaged with the exception of being bent..

My 05 DL1000 died at 27,000 miles....had metal shavings from clutchbasket all through the motor. It was a problem known on the 1000s 05 and back. I bought a wrecked Strom on eBay for $1500 and Mr2Mch sold $1000 parts for me so I was only $500 in to a motor with 2500 miles:chug:

Back