• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I also got nailed

Reaction score
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Simpson
but in a different way -

Headed towards the NW transit center on Katy road, coming up from under the Washington Street bridge, one of Houston's finest is standing dead center in my lane, inviting me to a roadside discussion.

He said he pulled me over for not signaling a lane change, a charge to which I politely but firmly objected. We discussed the finer points of my (severely) overdue and out of state plates, and lack of inspection sticker, and he sent me on my way after he got a copy of my signature. I stuck the ticket in my pocket, and went on my way.

On inspecting the ticket, I noticed that he did NOT write the ticket for an unsignaled lane change, but for speeding (50 in a 40). While that is certainly more likely than what he said he pulled me over for, I don't think he ever had the radar gun on me, and I was moving with the flow of traffic.

I'd be inclined to fight it, but since he also ticketed for the plates and inspection, I'm thinking its better not to bring more attention to the situation. (ok, flame me. I know it's squidly & lazy, but in my defense, I think it's probably easier to fake one's own death & start over than it is to register vehicles in Texas)

Looks like I'll be back in the BRC sometime this summer. In the meantime, I'll be working with the friendly, helpful people at DPS and the Tax Assessor's office, for the large numbereth time.

I don't think they can do much about your plates and inspection, since they are out of state, other than say "take care of that" As for the speeding, if you have the time, I might be inclined to fight it. I would definintely NOT just pay it though. Atleast take Defensive Driving or ask for Deferred Adjudication.

STrider said:
but in a different way -

Headed towards the NW transit center on Katy road, coming up from under the Washington Street bridge, one of Houston's finest is standing dead center in my lane, inviting me to a roadside discussion.

He said he pulled me over for not signaling a lane change, a charge to which I politely but firmly objected. We discussed the finer points of my (severely) overdue and out of state plates, and lack of inspection sticker, and he sent me on my way after he got a copy of my signature. I stuck the ticket in my pocket, and went on my way.

On inspecting the ticket, I noticed that he did NOT write the ticket for an unsignaled lane change, but for speeding (50 in a 40). While that is certainly more likely than what he said he pulled me over for, I don't think he ever had the radar gun on me, and I was moving with the flow of traffic.

I'd be inclined to fight it, but since he also ticketed for the plates and inspection, I'm thinking its better not to bring more attention to the situation. (ok, flame me. I know it's squidly & lazy, but in my defense, I think it's probably easier to fake one's own death & start over than it is to register vehicles in Texas)

Looks like I'll be back in the BRC sometime this summer. In the meantime, I'll be working with the friendly, helpful people at DPS and the Tax Assessor's office, for the large numbereth time.

Yup probably better to get an inspection and plates, they often drop those fines if you get it done before your court appearance and act sufficiently submissive and repentent :), and do a defensive driving on the speeding ticket.

There is a time limit on plates and registration, I'm just too lazy to look it up at the moment. One would think that with dash cams in standard usage and the advent of the ticket by camera, someone would have come up with a radar gun that gives you an 8x10 glossy of the offender imprinted with the date, time and speed. Of course, I know officers routinely write for significantly less than the actual speed, and this might interfere with their discretion.

You do not have to have an current inspection if the vehicle is not currently registered.He can write you for one but not both.I had this happen to me.When I told my dad(DPS trooper 30 years)he was quick to point this out.When I went to court the insection charge was dropped.Matt you did have it coming.When I saw 2004 on your plates at the Inks lake camp and ride I did get a kick out of your reasons for not getting it registered.Good luck and I told ypu so he he.

There is a tax assessor's office on Cypresswood.

http://www.tax.co.harris.tx.us/locations/locations.asp

I would take the afternoon off when you go there. It took me 1 1/2 hours standing in line to get my bike's title transferred. :yawn: I heard that midweek early afternoon's are the slowest. If you can go down to Clay because it is closer, I'd recommend that. I just think they are not that busy there ... but you will miss the sightseeing of all the elegant villas on Cypresswood ...;-)

Inspections are done all over the place here. Just pull into a sticker place and ask if they have the motorcycle stickers. I got mine done on Jones Rd at a car repair shop and they had one sticker left. The guy had no clue what to look for - just looked at insurance, checked all lights and tires. :rofl:

leeroy said:
You do not have to have an current inspection if the vehicle is not currently registered.He can write you for one but not both.I had this happen to me.When I told my dad(DPS trooper 30 years)he was quick to point this out.When I went to court the insection charge was dropped.Matt you did have it coming.When I saw 2004 on your plates at the Inks lake camp and ride I did get a kick out of your reasons for not getting it registered.Good luck and I told ypu so he he.

Man! That has to be some kind of long post record for you :lol2: Before I know it, you will be giving me a run for my money in the long post competition!

Faylaricia said:
There is a tax assessor's office on Cypresswood.

I would take the afternoon off when you go there. It took me 1 1/2 hours standing in line to get my bike's title transferred. ...Inspections are done all over the place here. :rofl:

Yeah, I've been to the one on cypresswood. Multiple times on multiple days. After the third visit in a single day, when they said I needed (I am not making this up) a stamped birth certificate , I guess I lost my motivation.

Try Clay Road's office. It is just down the road from Clay's restaurant, (if you are coming from Barker Cypress) towards Hwy6 on the southside. It is combined with the court/Sheriff's department.

STrider said:
Yeah, I've been to the one on cypresswood. Multiple times on multiple days. After the third visit in a single day, when they said I needed (I am not making this up) a stamped birth certificate , I guess I lost my motivation.
When I moved back from Tennessee, I registered my Ducati at the county courthouse annex on North Shepherd about a mile south of where it ends at I-45. It only took about 1/2 hour to do that and apply for a Texas DL, but the lines were short that day. The birth certificate request baffles me. Sorry about your ticket; I'm out of inspection right now too...

Tourmeister said:
Man! That has to be some kind of long post record for you :lol2: Before I know it, you will be giving me a run for my money in the long post competition!
Is that all you got?

plead guilty on the plate and inspection and not guilty on the speeding.
he will likely take the guilty and dismiss the other as it takes juror time.
my 02 tho.
Michael

Of course they need a birth certificate, otherwise how would they know you had been born? I didn't need a birth certificate to get a Texas title, but since they would only tell me about one missing form at a time I had to go back several times. I guess they couldn't look through all my forms and tell me about all the ones that were missing at once.

I got stopped Thursday night on the way back from Montgomery. On Hwy 105 at the intersection between Montgomery and Plantersville (I am pretty sure the town has a name, but I am not sure what it is) with the blinking yellow light. A sheriff's deputy was waiting by the side of the road, and gave me a ticket for 67 in a 50. I should be able to take defensive driving to get out of it.

I switched my BMW from AR to TX in about 30 minutes. All I needed was the bill of sale and the green sheet from the inspection telling them the bike was TX legal. You have to have insurance and the bike inspected before you go to the tag office.

hottrodd said:
On Hwy 105 at the intersection between Montgomery and Plantersville (I am pretty sure the town has a name, but I am not sure what it is) with the blinking yellow light.

Dobbin

Faylaricia said:
Try Clay Road's office. It is just down the road from Clay's restaurant, (if you are coming from Barker Cypress) towards Hwy6 on the southside. It is combined with the court/Sheriff's department.

I'd rather try Clay's Restaurant! Ummmm. Chicken fried steak. Fried catfish. Yes!

Lee

Monks Monks Monks & Hiran

(713) 666-6657

I don't know how they do it, but these guys have got me out of really serious tickets that I really deserved.

Also, usually you can have the registration and inspection tickets dismissed if you get the stickers current within 10 days.

Motor-T said:
Monks Monks Monks & Hiran

(713) 666-6657

I don't know how they do it, but these guys have got me out of really serious tickets that I really deserved.

Also, usually you can have the registration and inspection tickets dismissed if you get the stickers current within 10 days.
Ten days. That is way to much pressure for the west coast boy.

Faylaricia said:

Matt, It was probably an HPD officer that gave you the ticket (we have offices at TranStar and I see them out there all the time) you will have to deal with the Municipal Courts on 1400 Lubbock. Remember Night Court? I look for Judge Harry and Bull every time I'm over there.

Good luck,

Ron

Got it done, finally.

Much to the angst and consternation of the tax assessors office, DPS, and unknown countless gov't. bean counters, I was able to navigate the muirasse of paperwork, inspections, fees, rubbing my tummy and hopping on one foot to get a Texas title and registration.

The very pleasant lady (cuz TM will censure me for what I wanna say) behind the counter didn't like the way the inspector wrote a "V" on the inspection sheet, and told me I had to go back and have the inspector write another one! After discussion with her and her manager I was able to convince them that it was, in fact, a "V", as evidenced by the 4 other sheets of paper that showed the VIN, AND pointing out that the inspection sheet number matches the sticker number, so I can't just get a new sheet, but would have to pay for a whole 'nother inspection, ON THE SAME DAY, they allowed me to fill out a "Physical inspection letter", which amounted to me writing my name and the VIN on yet another piece of paper, which somehow made the whole thing all right.

I think they just sit back there having a good time at the expense of the schmucks that come in trying to follow the rules.

..."Hey, lets tell the next guy he needs his original high school transcripts"...

they allowed me to fill out a "Physical inspection letter", which amounted to me writing my name and the VIN on yet another piece of paper, which somehow made the whole thing all right.

And thus you have encountered the sole reason for the existence of a bureaucrat, not to solve problems, but to be a slave to the rules. Man I love that episode of King of the Hill where Hank gets his new drivers license and it shows him as a female :rofl:

I believe you have 14 days from the date of the ticket to get plates and inspection sticker. When you go to court they will check the receipts with the ticket and dismiss the charges.. the speeding ??? I have learned to always fight it with a lawyer.. more often then not it gets dismissed and save deferred ajudification for a ticket in another state. If you pay the ticket it goes on your record so for the same price get a lawyer and you have the possiblity of getting it dismissed and not on your record.

Just some thoughts based on my experience :)

Back