TWT Forums  

 


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2018, 02:33 PM   #1
Seb2112
 
Seb2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5
Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Ok...here's the situation...Bandit 1250 '08 with 142000km (88000mi). Wobbling occurring between 65 and 75 km/h (40 - 50 mph).

What has been checked:

- front wheel balancing and alignement (front wheel not crooked)
- steering bearing - ok
- fork oil changed - ok
- fork lowering - ok
- rear shock changed (used but with low mileage and not leaking) - ok
- swingarm bearing and bushing - ok
- rear tire alignement - ok

Both tires (Michelin PR4) have only 10000km (6000mi) on it...a small bit of cupping in the front...so no issue with that...

Still wobbling with luggage on...so weight in back, front lifting up a bit...

Any clues???

Still figuring out what could cause this situation...

Any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks!
Seb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
focus frenzy
Moderator
 
focus frenzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Cleburne
Posts: 10,640
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Front tire pressure

Engine mounting bolts
__________________
.....Leon
80 GS1000G, 83 GS1100E, 2K ZRX1100 (Tyra), 03 SV1000N(phoenix ) 14 CRF250L
focus frenzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:25 PM   #3
DancesWithCurves
 
DancesWithCurves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Richardson (DFW/NE)
Posts: 687
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

My front PR4 was already behaving badly at 7750mi. I think the aggressive sipes/grooves made for faster dry wear, and it was badly cupped. When I finally replaced it at 8300mi, it could have gone another 1000mi, but it had become a complete buzzkill. Went back to a PR2 and have been happy ever since.

So I think it's your front tire, and the affect is magnified by the luggage.
__________________
Chris

The 400 club:
Present: 05 DRZ-SM
Past: 92 Bandit, 76 RD-C, 72 Newport Custom
(and flogging a Big Bandit for the daily grind since 2011)
DancesWithCurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 04:56 PM   #4
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancesWithCurves View Post
So I think it's your front tire, and the affect is magnified by the luggage.
This. My VFR 800s, used to do the same thing. A new front tire solved it every time. Tire pressure did not seem to have much impact on it.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #5
KiwiTex
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 747
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

front tire x3
although there was a friend of mine had a similar experience on a bike that had been heavily 'wheelied'. It's not very likely at all but check the stem head/neck for cracks.
__________________
Smile! ….
it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
KiwiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:55 AM   #6
Seb2112
 
Seb2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Hi Guy!

Thanks for the infos! I’ve re-checked everything and we finally found a barely perceptible «*click*» on the steering stem and some movement...seems that the lower bearing needs to be changed...might as well change both bearings...
Seb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 07:30 PM   #7
Domenic
 
Domenic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Roseville
Posts: 5
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Tire..My FJR wobbles when it's time for a front tire. I never need to check
thread depth, wobble-new front tire time.
Domenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 PM   #8
KiwiTex
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Clear Lake
Posts: 747
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb2112 View Post
Hi Guy!

Thanks for the infos! I’ve re-checked everything and we finally found a barely perceptible «*click*» on the steering stem and some movement...seems that the lower bearing needs to be changed...might as well change both bearings...
Glad you got it sorted out. Well done.
__________________
Smile! ….
it makes people wonder what you have been up to.
KiwiTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:51 PM   #9
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum
 
Tourmeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Huntsville, Tx.
Posts: 45,456
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seb2112 View Post
Hi Guy!

Thanks for the infos! I’ve re-checked everything and we finally found a barely perceptible «*click*» on the steering stem and some movement...seems that the lower bearing needs to be changed...might as well change both bearings...
I did the same thing on my VFR 800. New bearings top and bottom. Every time the front tire got near its end of life, I'd still get the wobble. It was usually only during a coasting deceleration between 40-60 mph. New bearings are good, but don't be surprised if it still happens later.
__________________
Scott Friday

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon


The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 12:51 PM   #10
Seb2112
 
Seb2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiTex View Post
Glad you got it sorted out. Well done.
I'll be able to know tomorrow...the bike is in the shop with a trusty mechanic...I'll be able to give you guys more info...

Thanks for all the input!
Seb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 10:45 PM   #11
BigKev72
 
BigKev72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Waco, TX
Posts: 286
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Tire gets my vote too. I was running a PR4 on mine, no cupping either, it always had a vibration in it and once it had about 6k on it I had a noticeable buzz in it. Tossed a shinko raven on there, no more vibration or buzz and a heck of a lot less weights to balance.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigKev72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 11:40 AM   #12
Seb2112
 
Seb2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Quebec, Canada
Posts: 5
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Problem solved! Steering bearings (both) changed and the bike is amazing!!!

Though a small wobble stil occurs...the front tire will be changed next season...

Might be going back to Michelin PR3 this time... They have served me well in the past.

Thanks again for all the input!
Seb2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 12:08 PM   #13
h2000fb
Forum Supporter
 
h2000fb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Crawford, TX
Posts: 2,317
Re: Bandit 1250 wobbling ''low speed''

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmeister View Post
This. My VFR 800s, used to do the same thing. A new front tire solved it every time. Tire pressure did not seem to have much impact on it.
What he said, but on my beemer.
__________________
CHEER UP! In a 20 years, the way things are going, these will be the good ol’ days. .


Tom
05 R1200RT BMW
12 VStrom 650 Adv
h2000fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
All Rights Reserved, Scott Friday 2003-18.
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.18279 seconds with 11 queries