• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Re: San Antonio's Mad Scientist Tire Academy

Rim locks are no big deal. Loosen them up, and you pretty much won't notice them when removing the tire.

When reinstalling the tire you have to make sure the bead of the tire is between the rim lock and the rim itself, because sometimes it'll end up sitting on TOP of the rimlock instead, and that doesn't really work that well.

Rim locks are no big deal. Loosen them up, and you pretty much won't notice them when removing the tire.

When reinstalling the tire you have to make sure the bead of the tire is between the rim lock and the rim itself, because sometimes it'll end up sitting on TOP of the rimlock instead, and that doesn't really work that well.

Excellent, thanks Joseph.

A wrench to fit the rim lock either in the general tool kit or in the tire kit, I assume.......

Right, but I believe that the rim lock nuts are typically the same size as the valve stem nuts, so ya should already have one.

edit: And also, installing a rimlock on a bike that doesn't come with them consists of drilling a single hole in the rim. Nothing tricky or technical.

Rimlocks are a very, very good thing. If 'stuff' happens, and you end up not having the ability to fix a flat on the trail- You can absolutely ride out on the flat tire. With 2 rim locks on opposite sides of the wheel, you can ride out at a pretty good pace.

About the only downside to them is if you balance your wheels, they can make it somewhat difficult.

Rimlocks are a very, very good thing. If 'stuff' happens, and you end up not having the ability to fix a flat on the trail- You can absolutely ride out on the flat tire. With 2 rim locks on opposite sides of the wheel, you can ride out at a pretty good pace.

Joseph - you are THE MAN :clap:

Could one supposedly drill for rim locks, carry the rim locks, and only install them if all other tire patching tricks failed, let's say your tube got ripped and you can't patch it and you don't have a spare. Just thinking out loud.

Edit: I suppose if I were to drill for rim locks I'd install them and be done with it. I never thought of installing them after-market.

Last edited:

Just thinking out loud too, why would you carry uninstalled rim locks but not a spare tube?

Previous to your post I edited my thoughts on rim locks to where if I were to drill for them after-market I'd go ahead and install them.

The only scenerio I can think of for not doing so is to not to have to deal with them in the normal course of business.

If Joseph says they're no big deal, and you can ride out on them at a good clip as he says, then his idea of having a pair pre-installed makes considering them intriguing.

A couple more things on rim locks...

The new lightweight ones available from Motion Pro are the way to go if you are going to balance your tires--which is common practice on many dual sport bikes. Regular rim locks are heavy and really throw the wheel off balance--noticeable even on a real dirt bike at higher speeds.

When installing a tire back on a rim with a rimlock, start 90 degrees away from the rim lock when you begin levering the tire on. That way you won't end up directly across from the rim lock (makes it harder to keep the bead in the center) when you are down to the final bites.

No need to take the rim lock completely out when you are changing tubes or tires. Just back off the nut to the end of the stem so you can push the rim lock up and out of the way when you are working around that section.

Next Academy Class

Saturday, June 4, 1 PM

(2 weeks from this Saturday)

Rear tire removal and tube replacement

Bonus: Chain tool familiarization class

Bonus: Thai food at local restaurant

Speaking of chains... has anyone seen the sportbike thread about the guy who was cleaning his chain with a rag while his bike was in first gear on a stand?

This is what I got today in my rear wheel noticing it when I was leaving work; probably as a result of reading this 'mad thread' last night...

I started unpacking (for the first time) the slime compressor but quickly decided to call my son with the small compressor and tire plugs...

So I am blaming the Mad Scientist for my luck today...

photo1.jpg

Yesterday I went to get on the bike and noticed the rear was a little soft. I put the gauge on it and it did not register. So in the spirit of this thread I decided to to a trail fix, using only what I had on the bike. 8" irons, bike hand pump and all!

Well, I did use my antique jack stand, but that part of the fix is always cobbled together in the field anyway. I would have found a log, pushed the bike to the sidestand side against a tree, or just laid it on the ground.

I pulled the tire and removed to tube with only a little trouble. The bead was 'locked' to the rim, and no amount of kneeling or stomping would break it, so I used the irons. Two down, one up, and there she went. The bubble juice I use as lube almost doubles as bead locks! I seriously doubt riding flat on this tire would have pulled it off the rim.

I found the hole in the tube, transfered the the location to the tire, and removed a finish nail. I patched the tube, cleaned the tire, powdered the tube, and put it back in. Using those shorty irons means technique is supreme. Let's just say I needed the practice, because I pinched the beejesus out of that tube, about 7/8s of the way around.

Remove, patch, replace.

I found I only needed lube on the last 2/3 of the bead during install, just to let the bead slide down the iron. I brought the iron to 90 degrees, pushed the bead past the rim, and had no pinched tube.

I aired it back up with my $15 double action bike hand pump. I have used the slime compressor and like the hand pump better. It's faster, lighter, and more compact the the slime pump, and doesn't drag the battery down.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the bike's balance and dropped it when I was re-installing the back tire. Doh!

Anyway, I'll chalk it up to experience, and now know I can make it happen on the side of the trail.

One point that is easy to miss in Doug's video, lube the entire bead. It helps to allow the initial area to fall into the well giving more slack for the part of the bead you are trying to slip over the rim. Soap's cheap. :mrgreen:

I'm a fan of the bicycle frame pumps, also. They pack smaller, are generally more reliable than the Slime or other electric pumps. If you have a stubborn bead, you may get a bit of a workout making it seat, but doesn't take long to air up a tire otherwise.

This is what I got today in my rear wheel noticing it when I was leaving work; probably as a result of reading this 'mad thread' last night...

I started unpacking (for the first time) the slime compressor but quickly decided to call my son with the small compressor and tire plugs...So I am blaming the Mad Scientist for my luck today...

photo1.jpg

Wow! Looks like your tire got screwed! :doh:

Recommendation: For tubeless tires, keep an old tire in the shed and once a year take it out and practice using your string or plug kit.

Just as with practicing with tubes on a dirt bike, these tires skills are "muscle memory" and the nuances and trick techniques that make the job easier have to be renewed.

Yesterday I went to get on the bike and noticed the rear was a little soft. I put the gauge on it and it did not register. So in the spirit of this thread I decided to to a trail fix, using only what I had on the bike. 8" irons, bike hand pump and all!

Well, I did use my antique jack stand, but that part of the fix is always cobbled together in the field anyway. I would have found a log, pushed the bike to the sidestand side against a tree, or just laid it on the ground.

I pulled the tire and removed to tube with only a little trouble. The bead was 'locked' to the rim, and no amount of kneeling or stomping would break it, so I used the irons. Two down, one up, and there she went. The bubble juice I use as lube almost doubles as bead locks! I seriously doubt riding flat on this tire would have pulled it off the rim.

I found the hole in the tube, transfered the the location to the tire, and removed a finish nail. I patched the tube, cleaned the tire, powdered the tube, and put it back in. Using those shorty irons means technique is supreme. Let's just say I needed the practice, because I pinched the beejesus out of that tube, about 7/8s of the way around.

Remove, patch, replace.

I found I only needed lube on the last 2/3 of the bead during install, just to let the bead slide down the iron. I brought the iron to 90 degrees, pushed the bead past the rim, and had no pinched tube.

I aired it back up with my $15 double action bike hand pump. I have used the slime compressor and like the hand pump better. It's faster, lighter, and more compact the the slime pump, and doesn't drag the battery down.

I wasn't paying enough attention to the bike's balance and dropped it when I was re-installing the back tire. Doh!

Anyway, I'll chalk it up to experience, and now know I can make it happen on the side of the trail.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a great testimony - your post is exactly in line with the message and spirit of the Academy which is to forsee what a tire task would be like out on the road or trail and to tackle it that way at home with only the tools and materials you'd have with you on your ride. :chug:

One point that is easy to miss in Doug's video, lube the entire bead. It helps to allow the initial area to fall into the well giving more slack for the part of the bead you are trying to slip over the rim. Soap's cheap. :mrgreen:

:thumb:

Excellent John, that is a great tip. When WhiskeySmith was here we were sure to do that, on both sides of the bead. This also not only helps to get the bead back on but also to set it when airing it up.

I'm a fan of the bicycle frame pumps, also. They pack smaller, are generally more reliable than the Slime or other electric pumps. If you have a stubborn bead, you may get a bit of a workout making it seat, but doesn't take long to air up a tire otherwise.

Great tip Joseph!

Saturday (June 4), 1 PM........rear tire spoon off/on clinic.......mi casa (es su casa)

I will be in the 5 % :lol2:

I will be in the 5 % :lol2:

You are THE MAN :clap: :rider: :giveup: :sun: :thumb: :-D :patriot:

We took care of Karl and the rear tire on his F800, pics to follow

JD (Schizzman)

John (JMZ)

Paul

Raul (Bato)

Karl (WhiskeySmith)

Me

We did brats on the Hibachi, installed a new knobby on Karl's ride, rode River Road in New Braunfels, and in general, we made Saturday ROCK! :clap: :lol2: :rofl: :rider: :sun:

Originally Posted by JMZ
What is your adress . I am going to try and show up.

95% of Americans who say "I'll try to make it" never show up - be the exception!

1 PM

(Quoting me)

95% of Americans who say "I'll try to make it" never show up - be the exception!

John said:

"I'll TRY to make it"

He made it! :clap: :clap: :clap:

He's the Exception :clap: :clap: :clap:

Saturday (June 4), 1 PM........rear tire spoon off/on clinic.......mi casa (es su casa)

As usual, Tricepilot rolled out the red carpet. Brats, iced tea, baseball on the radio, a helping hand, and great new friends. Thanks again for letting do my thing in the shade...under perfect conditions.

-Carl

As usual, Tricepilot rolled out the red carpet. Brats, iced tea, baseball on the radio, a helping hand, and great new friends. Thanks again for letting do my thing in the shade...under perfect conditions.

-Carl

And here's Carl sweating like a sailor in the boiler room of a battleship in the south pacific....just take a look at the shoes of the cognocenti standing around cheering him on!

Mad Scientist Tire Academy Graduate!

smugshot2001658-L.jpg

smugshot7511132-L.jpg

Notice below Nellie's right eye the tattoo of a tear, from her time in prison after she bit the last student who failed the Mad Scientist Tire Academy.

Back