• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

10th gen Burgman 650 or 1st gen BMW C650?

Reaction score
Ever since I totaled my Honda CB450 back around 1970 I've ridden BMWs, but I'm getting too old to comfortably handle a "real" bike, and I thought they were behind me. Hence the forum handle. But just as I was about to spring for a new Burgman 650, BMW comes out with a comparable maxi scoot, the C650, which should be in the US in a few months.

The question I have is whether it's best to go for the Bergman which has largely been unchanged for years, the kinks pretty much worked out but showing its age a bit, or to go for a 1st year release of the Beemer, perhaps more exciting but untried?

Also, the fact that the C650 engine is made in China is not a plus. To me the most iconic feature of a Beemer is its boxer engine. While I don't expect, wouldn't even want, an air cooled boxer in a maxi scoot, having the engine outsourced to China seems a bit lame. Is it really a Beemer or just a Kymco with a propeller badge?

If it makes you feel any better, the F800/600 and the G650 engines are made in China too. Both have proven to be reliable so far. Beyond that, it is all up to you.

If you're willing to drop that kind of change, you might want to wait for the Aprilia SRV850. Pretty much a motorcycle in a maxi scooter package.

Well the Aprilia SRV850 certainly gets points for hotness. I haven't seen any reviews yet, but I did read they plan to import it to the US this fall. It seems more of a T-Max type sports bike than a touring machine which I prefer. Also a new(ish) release, so unknown, iffy reliability. Great that we are starting to see more choices in the maxi scooter lineup available in the US.

Here's one of the early reviews over at motorcycle.com: Linky

It's got a lot of lean angle like a TMAX, but i think it'll make a better touring machine if a taller windshield and luggage is available. That's one thing i think it misses the mark on. There's limited on board storage. The extra power should make interstate travel a little easier, especially with a passenger.

It is a new release, but the drivetrain has been around a few years in the Mana. At least that part of it should be very reliable. My concern would be where they cheaped out. I have an Aprilia Shiver in the garage now. Most of the bike has a high level of fit and finish to it, but then there's parts where i scratch my head. For example, a lot of the generic bolts are budget and corrode easily. Then there's the rear swing arm which they could have welded together, but opted for 7 or so of those budget bolts instead. I guess a welding costs more than bunch of bolts and lock nuts.

It wouldn't concern me so much except a lot of this scoot is coming from Piaggio, and i'm pretty sure they're they ones responsible for the lower quality stuff on my Shiver. Still, it's as least as good of quality as Suzuki. I just expect more from the Italians and at the higher price level.

I could see one of these with tall windscreen and luggage being a good alternative to bikes like Honda's NT700V. Sort of a smaller sport touring bike with more emphasis on touring.

I'm looking hard at the BMW C650GT but I will wait until I read a few more reviews from owners. I am a bit nervous about buying a first-year model, but Lonestar BMW is a great dealership and I wouldn't worry too much about warranty claims if that were necessary. I am really disappointed BMW didn't include cruise control on the GT.

The only way I would buy the Suzuki is to take advantage of a great deal on a low-mileage used one. There are some great deals on used or left-over 650 Burgman Executives.

Good point about the value of a dependable, trustworthy dealership making a big difference. I Googled Lonestar BMW and found they are in Austin, if they were in Fort Worth, having a local dealer that well thought of would make a difference in my decision.

As it is, I'm leaning toward a 10th gen Bergman 650, all other things being (more or less) equal, and I'm hoping I can find a local shop that is as trustworthy to do the servicing on it.

Well I'd take a known over a unknown and at a cheaper price point if you find a new later year model. The Burger is no slouch and you would have better dealer support. I would have bought another one but instead found a deal on a TMax. The SRV is interesting.

I really like my Burg 650. I have owned Harleys, Hondas and Yamaha motorcycles but at my age, the Burg fits my needs. I have had mine for 6 years and it has served me well. There are rumors that the 650 will be getting a redesign and facelift shortly. If you are not familiar with Burgman USA Forum, you need to check it out. http://www.burgmanusa.com/. This is a family friendly forum with members all over the world. There are also a lot of members in the DFW and other areas that often have RTE and meet and greets.

I have been riding BMWs for years. They got too expensive, not only to buy but to have it worked on. I want to have dealerships everywhere I go, thus a Suzy Burgman 650 Exe. The BMW scooter sounds great but, again,it will be too expensive to buy and too expensive to work on. BMW dealerships are dwindling but not Suzuki dealerships.

I have been on a 650 burgy for eight years now and love them. Three years ago my friend and I rode to Colorado and back, and my Burgy kept up with his BMW R1200RT.

Good point about the value of a dependable, trustworthy dealership making a big difference. I Googled Lonestar BMW and found they are in Austin, if they were in Fort Worth, having a local dealer that well thought of would make a difference in my decision.

I've been quite happy with the BMW dealer in Hurst(North Texas House of Motorcycles) for any service I've needed, which isn't much. They've always been quick and done the job correctly.

I've been quite happy with the BMW dealer in Hurst(North Texas House of Motorcycles) for any service I've needed, which isn't much. They've always been quick and done the job correctly.

That's good to know. Can anyone say the same for any of the Suzuki dealerships in the Fort Worth/Arlington area?

Or what it's worth I am not a fan of the dealer in Dallas (Plano).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Ever since I totaled my Honda CB450 back around 1970 I've ridden BMWs, but I'm getting too old to comfortably handle a "real" bike, and I thought they were behind me. Hence the forum handle. But just as I was about to spring for a new Burgman 650, BMW comes out with a comparable maxi scoot, the C650, which should be in the US in a few months.

The question I have is whether it's best to go for the Bergman which has largely been unchanged for years, the kinks pretty much worked out but showing its age a bit, or to go for a 1st year release of the Beemer, perhaps more exciting but untried?

Also, the fact that the C650 engine is made in China is not a plus. To me the most iconic feature of a Beemer is its boxer engine. While I don't expect, wouldn't even want, an air cooled boxer in a maxi scoot, having the engine outsourced to China seems a bit lame. Is it really a Beemer or just a Kymco with a propeller badge?

Bingo. It is a kymco.

I have a kymcp x500, and I reckon that this taiwanese, not chinese bike has put more miles iin one year than most have done in 2. 31000 to be exact. With 35000 on the odometer now. No major issues. Justa a speedometer went out during the warranty.

I highly recommemd the kymco. I still use it often although I have a ttmax. The one cylinder at highway speeds is much quieter than my tmax.
_
So I suggest you get that kymco 650

The Scooter Wars have begun,:lol2:

Why is it none of the manufacturers put stereos on the scooter. Commuter or touring it would be a selling point that frankly has kept me from buying one.

Why is it none of the manufacturers put stereos on the scooter. Commuter or touring it would be a selling point that frankly has kept me from buying one.

you could always add one. Mine works great.

20120516_121010.jpg

Honda used to have a optional kenwood system for their bigger scooters in the late 80's

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burgie gets my vote. Only because I rode and really liked it. I got a Silverwing only because I found a used one about half the price of a Burgie. I rode it for almost 30K miles and then sold it exactly at the price I paid for it.

Ever since I totaled my Honda CB450 back around 1970 I've ridden BMWs, but I'm getting too old to comfortably handle a "real" bike

can you explain what is "real" bike??

so you call scooter "fake" bike?

I want to hear from you :-P

can you explain what is "real" bike??

so you call scooter "fake" bike?

I want to hear from you :-P
Generally I'd say "bike" encompasses any 1-3 wheel , handlebar steered, open vehicle that you mount to ride rather than enclose yourself within. I used the term very loosely here, and not at all disparagingly; I figured my meaning to be taken from context.

But you do raise a good point, just what is the difference between scooter, a maxi scooter and motorcycle? Perhaps a subject for a separate thread?

Generally I'd say "bike" encompasses any 1-3 wheel , handlebar steered, open vehicle that you mount to ride rather than enclose yourself within. I used the term very loosely here, and not at all disparagingly; I figured my meaning to be taken from context.

But you do raise a good point, just what is the difference between scooter, a maxi scooter and motorcycle? Perhaps a subject for a separate thread?

Yes :) like my mom said it's a "bike" like that... but just different style and kinds.

in 2009 when I bought a new Vespa GTS 250cc and my co-worker want to check it out so he came to parking garage with me to check it out... then he said when are you going to upgrade to a real bike. I asked him "real" bike what is that mean? He said one that use shifty gears then I asked him "Does your truck have shifty gears" then he said "no" then I said "get a REAL truck" and he was speechless FOREVER....

no hard feeling... it's just FUNNY!! :mrgreen:

As it is, I'm leaning toward a 10th gen Bergman 650, all other things being (more or less) equal, and I'm hoping I can find a local shop that is as trustworthy to do the servicing on it.

Changing the oil is about it, then the drive oil. Here is the chart (snatched from BurgmanUSA forum)
650+main+sch.jpg

The BMW, I have no clue on.

Back