• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting a dirt bike road legal

So can anyone explain what the tax office does need to do? I am familiar with the inspection and can handle that, but not sure what the tax office has to do? I already have an off-road title for the bike in my name, but want to make it road legal and get a plate and tags.

Thanks Gary

The your title, inspection, and insurance to the tax office, and tell the you'd like to register your MOTORCYCLE (not dirtbike) and need to have the title ammended and the off road only removed.

When they say it can't be done (if they do) refer them to the Texas motor vehicle titling handbook

Page 14-14- modified off highway use vehicles----
Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, VTR
requires an application for corrected title to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with
the application for Texas title.

If anything, it has gotten easier since last year. It used to be you need to ask the inspection station for a "green sheet" (VI-30-A form) to register an out-of-state vehicle or to plate an off-hwy-only bike. The new One Sticker process did away with that. Now you just need to get the dirt bike inspected. I always check www.mytxcar.com and print out a copy of the inspection report to bring with me JIC. The online record looks to be updated the next business day after inspection.

Main thing at the Tax Assessor's office is to apply for a "corrected title". Item 13 on the 130-U form should be for "Changed in Vehicle Description". You may want them to uncheck "Exempt" in item 10, and update the mileage recorded on the inspection report, though this is not a requirement. This is only relevant when selling the bike, and really only if your bike is relatively new, and/or came with an odometer stock. Some buyers get the warm fuzzies if they can see exact mileage record of the bike.

When you are done with the registration process and handed your copies, make sure to check that the "off-highway-only" remark is taken off. If should be if you are handed a license plate an the number is noted on the registration. But... never hurts to check.

Thanks guys, will get the inspection done this week, fitted DOT tires, fitted all the electrical gubins, just need to fit a mirror and it should pass an inspection easily. Also need to get it insured. Will print of your recommendations to take with me when I go to the tax office, in Austin I never had an issue, but this will be my first time at McKinney so want to be prepared in case they aren't familiar with the process.

Gary

Also, don't take it to a dang bike shop to get the inspection. Take it to Lopez used tires, lube, and inspection station

I am wanting to get my wife's DRZ125L street legal. I see that I can buy a Baja dual sport kit for around $450 and then send in the stator for rewind for about $150. I've never converted a bike before so this seems a little high. Are there cheaper options? FYI i'm no electrician but know the basics.
Thanks
Joe

Is the DR electric start?
If so You already have the dc system in place. And you won't need to rewind stator especially if your kit uses low power LED lights for most bulbs. Then all you will really need is your state requirements I.E.- horn , hi/LO headlight and switch , brake light/ tail light etc. And if your inspector is tough then Maybe license plate light, DOT tires, hi beam indicator light, mirror etc.

There are cheaper kits out there especially if you already have a battery on the bike.

Some states are easy & some difficult and some next to impossible.

There are even a few states that are so easy you just go and declare it's street legal, often these are your rural towns. I had a buddy in Oklahoma just went to DMV with his dirt bike title and said I want to register it for a license plate, the little podunk town DMV just took his word for it. (Now that's lucky).

Some like TX don't require blinkers. Some send you to local Law Enforcement Agency or even State Police for an inspection (like Louisiana) which will usually go by the book for their state laws.

Over the last 40 years I've plated dirt bikes in TX, AR, LA, MS.
It's a little harder in LA these days than 30 years ago but we just plated a 2 stroke Husaberg for my son in LA had to jump a few hoops but got it done.

What state are you doing this in. Someone here has probably done it and can give advice for your state.

Here are some cheaper kits:

See these:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Sales/266/Street-Legal-Kits

https://procycle.us/dual-sport/dual-sport-kit.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is the DR electric start?
If so You already have the dc system in place. And you won't need to rewind stator especially if your kit uses low power LED lights for most bulbs. Then all you will really need is your state requirements I.E.- horn , hi/LO headlight and switch , brake light/ tail light etc. And if your inspector is tough then Maybe license plate light, DOT tires, hi beam indicator light, mirror etc.

There are cheaper kits out there especially if you already have a battery on the bike.

Some states are easy & some difficult and some next to impossible.

There are even a few states that are so easy you just go and declare it's street legal, often these are your rural towns. I had a buddy in Oklahoma just went to DMV with his dirt bike title and said I want to register it for a license plate, the little podunk town DMV just took his word for it. (Now that's lucky).

Some like TX don't require blinkers. Some send you to local Law Enforcement Agency or even State Police for an inspection (like Louisiana) which will usually go by the book for their state laws.

Over the last 40 years I've plated dirt bikes in TX, AR, LA, MS.
It's a little harder in LA these days than 30 years ago but we just plated a 2 stroke Husaberg for my son in LA had to jump a few hoops but got it done.

What state are you doing this in. Someone here has probably done it and can give advice for your state.

Here are some cheaper kits:

See these:
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/Sales/266/Street-Legal-Kits

https://procycle.us/dual-sport/dual-sport-kit.html

This is in TX and I do have the title. The DR is a kick start model. Thanks for the info and links.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

When I plated my XR4 it was in TX. Not needing blinkers I was able to just use the existing a/c system that had a voltage regulator only. (No rectifier)
The only challenge I had was getting an electric horn to work on a/c. I tried 3 before I got one that worked on a/c (it sounded like crap but it got me a green sheet).

So when I plated the KDX I also stayed with the stock a/c system and no blinkers but this time I wired the horn on its own isolated circuit using a tiny plastic battery box that fit behind the number plate and held 2 - 9v D.C. Batteries wired in series in it.
At 18v (9x2) it was loud! Worked like a charm.

All my lights were regular incandescent type on the 12v KDX stock a/c system. Using LED lights can be tricky if keeping a/c setup. Most LED don't play well unless running d/c.

Good luck - keep us posted on your progress, it may help the next guy.

My KDX battery box and horn:

295ffcadf5096c3628279ee7b24ba8b0.jpg

cf4a87639e23c17ae1a57de307f9dd6f.jpg

Last edited:
I think staying with ac setup will be my best/easiest option. Great idea with the 9v battery box. I will give that a shot. Update to come.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have had terrible luck with Baja Designs after market street legal lighting kits. Every bit of it was total junk! Turn signals desentagrated after about 150 miles of being bounced around on trails...not dropped, just thoroughly shaken while trail riding. Finished the day and realized they had fallen apart, then all together off my bike. Switches & wiring were also crap quality. But hey, at least it was all VERY over priced!

The Procycle kit price is a little easier to swallow at about 100 bucks less than the Baja. I hope it is better quality too. We shall find out.

I have used Baja kits on 6 motorcycles and never had any problems, but there headlights do not focus the beam and give a pretty awful view at night, I added additional LED spot lights which work much better. Would love to find a good aftermarket headlight to replace the Baja light, but everything else works as intended and has not caused any problems. My indicators usually get broken from spills, long before they fail as described above. One of my CRF450's still has the Baja indicators and they still work and look fine after 4 years, despite a few spills.

Gary

Yep, it really was easy, she took her test on it and has been riding it for almost a year now, she prefers motorbikes to cars, she even rode the CDR with my wife and I this year on it. Fantastic bike.. Fitted a Baja kit, got it inspected then went to the tax office and had it road registered in about 30 minutes. Didn't cost much and was very easy.

Gary

Forgive the Kool-aid guy trough the wall, haven't reintroduced myself yet, came straight to the post I googled...

I'm standing at the cusp about to get a bike registered. Been a while since I been on a bike (or on MCforums for that matter..life.you know..) but opportunity has come up, so I took it. Wanted to bounce this off you guys for guidance in case I'm missing anything.

Last night brought home an '03 TTR125L that has the req'd street parts - headlight hi/lo, horn, mirror, rear brake light, DOT tires. The PO even had it inspected already so I have the inspection report in hand. I have the title in hand 'for off highway use only'. It still in the name of 2 owners ago. I do have a notarized bill of sale from this PO and the BOS from him buying it from the last guy (who's name is still on the title). I filled out the form 130-U for title and registration purposes. I also got an insurance policy print out in hand too.

If I understand it all right, I just need to go down to the tax office, submit my stack of papers here, pay the title fee, registration and sales tax and it should be good right? Out of curiosity, when I eventually get the new title, will it still say 'for off highway use only'?

I'm so nervous and I don't now why lol
Thanks yall

What you need to do is (during registration) make sure they mark the 130-u for a title correction. They will issue your new plates right then, and the new title will come in the mail, with the "Off road" removed

What you need to do is (during registration) make sure they mark the 130-u for a title correction. They will issue your new plates right then, and the new title will come in the mail, with the "Off road" removed

Ok will do. Thank you.

Well didn't get it done because the lady at the tax office said Eric at the Regional office said no :thumbd:

Didn't matter it has valid Texas inspection. Didn't matter it met the Texas req for equipment. Didn't matter it had insurance. Eric said no because the title says "for off highway use only" and it came from the MSO that way and they wouldn't register it.

What can I do from this point?

Edit:
Looking at the Texas Motor Vehicle Title Manual Section 14.30 looks like what I'll go show the clerk.

Modified Off-Highway Motorcycles
Once a motorcycle has been titled as an off highway vehicle without registration, an
application for corrected title is required to clear the remark if the vehicle is ever modified
in order to register. If a transfer of ownership is involved and a current license number is
shown in the license number space on the application for Texas title, the notation “Off
Highway Use Only” deletes automatically from the title record. Applicants should include
verification of a DPS safety inspection and a copy of the current registration receipt with
the application for Texas title.

Last edited:
I don’t know where in Texas you are, but I would suggest going to another office that knows what it is doing. The main dmv office in Austin and in McKinney have both registered multiple OTR dirt bikes for me with no issues at all. I would visit one of them if they are near you, or just try another office and take a copy of the dmv Regulations with you so you can show them the rule.

Gary

Last edited:
Ok, so go to the DMV and not the Tax Office?

My 'off road' title is still in the previous owners name.

Last edited:
Back