• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

What's your thoughts on this?

Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hughes
For a quick fix starting out deal?

http://www.cyclegear.com/c/brand//W...e014?icid=HP_Main-Hero_ExplorerH20Deal_101713

I don't like to waist money, so when I buy something I like it to be worth it, but at the same time I don't like to spend money just because it's name brand. Right now the helmet is the down side it seems (from newbies eyes).

But if something like this is an OK deal, that will leave more than enough for the riding course. Maybe even some farkles for the bike!:clap:

I have some Bilt stuff,it is okay. The combat boots I have are decent but not water proof. Been using them for awhile and they work pretty well. Also got some mesh pants and they ripped at a seam after about the second time I wore them. They did replace them for free. Which was cool. But I have not wore them again yet. KP

Way better than the stuff I started with 49 years ago. Buy what you will be comfortable wearing. If it's not comfortable then you'll make excuses not to wear it.

My thoughts:
1: The jacket, pants, and helmet are all available in a high-visibility version. Get that one. It looks less cool, but you're more likely to survive (by a large margin).

2. Find a local store and try on everything. Depending on your particular size and shape, internet ordering may be tough. You want total coverage and you want the armor to stay where it's supposed to be. This includes the helmet- make sure the fit is right. If you're not sure how to do that, ask. We'll help you.

3. Most of this stuff is fall/winter gear here in Texas. Be prepared to spring for another jacket and possibly pants for summertime.

I own the helmet,
It is quiet enough and is a little heavy and has a lot of wind resistance. Don't turn your head quickly
Anything over 60 mph is a pain. Literally, any distance at speed will hurt. I take off the visor if I go on the freeway. It is not made to come off though. The top air vent is really on there. :trust:
I do still wear it for trails and such.
I found goggles are more of a pain since I wear glasses and don't want to get prescription ones
As far as HiVis, there is a yellow one.

Forgot I also have a heat-out skull cap and the cold-out long johns and shirt that I got last year for winter riding. The store is on Burnet road so you can go in there and try the stuff on like humanrace was talking about. The gloves with the package deal with the tan accents were very comfortable. I will pick up a pair next time I am there. They always show stuff on sale there Go early and try stuff on and make sure it fits right. Way better than the blue jean jacket I wore back during the first ice-age. ;-)KP

See if you can catch a Bell helmet on sale. They are high value if they fit your head. In the past I have seen them in Walmart for about $100.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bell-arrow-solid-helmet

Icon has a value line as well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/icon-alliance-rubatone-helmet

Their stuff is almost always on "sale", I really think it's just their regular price and they do it to make people they are saving money. Just like all of those rug and mattress places that seem to have never ending grand opening/going out of business sales, etc.

All I own is Bilt gear right now and I have no complaints for the money. I really want to upgrade to some other stuff, but I really can't find a reason to do so except for maybe the helmet (different than the one the OP was talking about though).

Their stuff is almost always on "sale", I really think it's just their regular price and they do it to make people they are saving money. Just like all of those rug and mattress places that seem to have never ending grand opening/going out of business sales, etc.

All I own is Bilt gear right now and I have no complaints for the money. I really want to upgrade to some other stuff, but I really can't find a reason to do so except for maybe the helmet (different than the one the OP was talking about though).

Yes every thing on sale it seems every time,but it is cheap.

My thoughts:...

2. Find a local store and try on everything. Depending on your particular size and shape, internet ordering may be tough. You want total coverage and you want the armor to stay where it's supposed to be. This includes the helmet- make sure the fit is right. If you're not sure how to do that, ask. We'll help you....

WHAT PEDRO SAYS!!!

i have a FLY DS hat that has become my GOTO helmet(see avatar)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Fly-Rac..._Merchandise&var=&hash=item1e7552be81&vxp=mtr

only the worst cross winds really bother me, which is nothing different than any other hat

the FLY's are DOT & ECE(the european standards & exceed US DOT standards)

it is light weight & fits my noggin quite well

see if you can find them at a local shop & try one on, for sizing

then check out fleabay for pricing to your door

as for BILT GEAR, i wear their winter pants w/ zip out liner

they were STIFF at first, but quickly softened up and have never left me wet, and i don't ride behind a fairing

check out the store for FIT & PRICING, got my pants at "50% off retail" = $80

good luck with your quest

sw

That seems expensive for a jacket. You could likely get another brand in better quality for that price I'd think.

If you guys didn't see my other thread, Maxim Honda in Allen has a bunch of stuff on sale for 30-50% right now. Not sure how long the sale is going to run for.

Back