• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New level of toughness

pub610

Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Last Name
Woodall
From today's Asphalt & Rubber coverage of the fourth stage of this year's Dakar:

"We would like to give a special shout out to Ivan Jakeš, who was struck by lightning while racing today, and still managed to finish the stage."

And you thought you were tough.

From today's Asphalt & Rubber coverage of the fourth stage of this year's Dakar:

"We would like to give a special shout out to Ivan Jakeš, who was struck by lightning while racing today, and still managed to finish the stage."

Maybe he's a really grounded down to Earth kind of guy... ;-)

It must have super charged his adrenaline too. He finished 14th that day, and 11th on next leg the following day. Gonna have to tag him "The Slovakian Superman"!

It must have super charged his adrenaline too. He finished 14th that day, and 11th on next leg the following day. Gonna have to tag him "The Slovakian Superman"!

or the Slovakian Reddy Kilowatt!

reddy_k.jpg

Its things like this that cant help but "plug" the event.......

Wouldve been even more spectacular if he was riding a Yamaha Bolt.....!huh

But seriously...... its a wonder he wasnt injured from that strike. You hear about all sorts of not good things people suffer from being struck by lightning

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk ...all in good pfun

Last edited:

Did I hear correctly that Ivan, after surviving the lightning strike, had to retire after injuring his arm in a get-off in the next stage?

Presumably, he wasn't going 88 mph when struck.

Attachments

• Delorean.jpg
    Delorean.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 83
But seriously...... its a wonder he wasnt injured from that strike. You hear about all sorts of not good things people suffer from being struck by lightning

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk ...all in good pfun

Likely he was not directly hit but was in close proximity to the main strike and he got zapped by induction current.
That's what happened to me, I was not hit by the main strike, it hit the ground close by but I got a nasty zap and knocked down just by being that close.

And yes, he crashed and broke his arm. I'm surprised he just doesn't put a bandaid on it and continue.... :D

Likely he was not directly hit but was in close proximity to the main strike and he got zapped by induction current.
That's what happened to me, I was not hit by the main strike, it hit the ground close by but I got a nasty zap and knocked down just by being that close.

My Mom got a hit like this when I was a kid. We were walking out to the car through our garage, and as she walked out onto the driveway we got a strike near the far end of the driveway. She got thrown back into the garage. Not a fun day.

Glad he made it through OK!

I imagine at Dakar all riders wear high dollar gear, probably made of Kevlar or some other super strong, light weight, expensive, carbon based and therefore conductive fiber. I have boots, gloves, and a helmet made of carbon, so the stuff is available. Thus, his gear would form a Faraday cage effect guiding the charge around him due to less resistance than going through him. High voltage line and power plant workers sometimes wear steel mesh suits when working for protection from shock from thousands of volts. Same thing happens to people in cars pretty often. I've seen high voltage lines fall on a car, arc like crazy, and the people inside unharmed.

Back